NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Question about first publishing rights

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote msfox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 1:33pm
I'd also think about your revision. For example, my flash fiction for the first round was about 500 words, I revised it to closer to 1000 words and submitted it somewhere. Now, I haven't posted it here or anywhere else (either version) but if I had posted the first version I could honestly say "this was originally posted x, it has been heavily revised including an increase of 500+ words" (and if i felt the need, i could also remove it). Honesty is the best policy about posting things online (because most who do aren't doing so in a way that blocks web crawlers so all it takes is a memorable line in google / the wayback machine and out comes your blog post)--but there might be some leeway if you go "okay, yes, i published the thing but here is how this version is rather different then x version"

Though, that said, revising words without much change in the content might not fly. If its a 1,001 word story and you keep all scenes the same and the ending but it ends up 1,200 words... 

tl;dr I mostly submit my previously posted/'published on my blog' work to avenues that don't require first publication rights, take previously published work, etc. 
nixie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by Andrea Andrea wrote:

So, Nixie, when you submit one of your pieces that you've put up on the forums here, do you mention it upfront?  When I've looked at some of the publications who are accepting submissions, they aren't asking for specifics when they say no pieces previously published.  I do realize most of us are stumbling in the dark figuring this out as we go, but I believe you've done some submitting, so I wondered what your experience has been?

What Z Said. :)  I post only in the controlled-access forum.  That links goes to a location that is not published anywhere else, and is removed once the contest is over.  

Most publications won't ask - they will specify that they do (or, more commonly, do not) accept previously published work. By keeping it in closed venues, I am able to say that it has been posted to a controlled-access location for beta review, but never published, leaving nothing for me to mention if I submit it, and no barriers to submission for a market that doesn't accept previously-published works. 

~Nix

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12