NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What if you get a zero?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote sootfoot5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What if you get a zero?
    Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 5:07pm
Yes, some of us may get a zero.  I may get a zero.   So, what do we do?

First, don't panic.  Easy to say, hard to do.

Second, remember that you GET TO WRITE AGAIN.  in FFC, everyone gets to write twice.  Clap

Third, don't  compare your score to someone else's. This gets you nowhere and is a waste of your time and energy. 

While we have some "dead time", consider watching this year's  movie if you haven't already seen it.  This movie is not affiliated with NYCM and was made by writers who are in this competition. It is a mockumentary.  You already know what it is like to live through the first half of this movie because you've already been assigned your prompts received your confirmation, and now you're participating in the forum.  The rest of the movie focuses on waiting for scores, getting scores, and writing that second time.  

Here is the movie link:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHySxU7cJwU

And no matter how you score, don't forget - EVERYONE GETS TO WRITE TWICE!!!!  GOOD LUCK!

Edited by sootfoot5 - 11 Aug 2017 at 5:08pm
salteenkraka View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote salteenkraka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 9:37am
Lol. That movie.
nixie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote nixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 10:15am
Last year, 3 people who scored 0 in challenge 1 scored 14 or 15 in challenge 2. Likewise, 3 people who scored 14 or 15 in challenge 1 scored 0 in challenge 2. All 6 contestants moved forward to Round 2. 

1 of those contestants received an honorable mention in Round 2. 1 moved forward to the final round and received an honorable mention for the contest overall. 

WriterByNight View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WriterByNight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 11:36am
Originally posted by nixie nixie wrote:

Last year, 3 people who scored 0 in challenge 1 scored 14 or 15 in challenge 2. Likewise, 3 people who scored 14 or 15 in challenge 1 scored 0 in challenge 2. All 6 contestants moved forward to Round 2. 

1 of those contestants received an honorable mention in Round 2. 1 moved forward to the final round and received an honorable mention for the contest overall. 

Thanks for sharing the stats, Nixie!
FFC Final| Beyond the Veil
Micro R1 | How Could You?
WriterByNight View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WriterByNight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 11:37am
Originally posted by sootfoot5 sootfoot5 wrote:

Yes, some of us may get a zero.  I may get a zero.   So, what do we do?

First, don't panic.  Easy to say, hard to do.

Second, remember that you GET TO WRITE AGAIN.  in FFC, everyone gets to write twice.  Clap

Third, don't  compare your score to someone else's. This gets you nowhere and is a waste of your time and energy. 

While we have some "dead time", consider watching this year's  movie if you haven't already seen it.  This movie is not affiliated with NYCM and was made by writers who are in this competition. It is a mockumentary.  You already know what it is like to live through the first half of this movie because you've already been assigned your prompts received your confirmation, and now you're participating in the forum.  The rest of the movie focuses on waiting for scores, getting scores, and writing that second time.  

Here is the movie link:  <i style="color: rgb204, 0, 51; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: small; : rgb251, 251, 253;">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHySxU7cJwU

And no matter how you score, don't forget - EVERYONE GETS TO WRITE TWICE!!!!  GOOD LUCK!

Great post, Sootfoot! Thanks for the movie link, too :)
FFC Final| Beyond the Veil
Micro R1 | How Could You?
Zblugg View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zblugg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 1:38pm
No gonna lie: I'll be utterly disappointed. I mean, I've written sh*tty stuff before, or just stuff that I found were not up to par. But my round 1 endeavor, I think, is very good. And I've never been one to actually enjoy my own writing. This one I really love, though, for some reason.

So... yeah. It would probably crush me. Ermm

But as you said, sootfoot5, we do get to write again regardless!
sootfoot5 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sootfoot5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by Zblugg Zblugg wrote:

No gonna lie: I'll be utterly disappointed. I mean, I've written sh*tty stuff before, or just stuff that I found were not up to par. But my round 1 endeavor, I think, is very good. And I've never been one to actually enjoy my own writing. This one I really love, though, for some reason.

So... yeah. It would probably crush me. Ermm

But as you said, sootfoot5, we do get to write again regardless!

The thing is, you aren't just competing against yourself. You are competing against about 29 other people. And even if your story is really good, it may be that you landed in a group with some really good writers and that enough people had stories that the judges liked better so that you still end up with a zero or a lower score. I know that has happened to me before and then some other year I will make a high score for a story I think is crap.

Your score isn't just about you - it is a grade on the curve, so to speak. Also, judges are human. They can't help but bring their own likes and dislikes to the scoring process.

BUT EVERYONE GETS TO WRITE TWICE! How cool is that?
Zblugg View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zblugg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by sootfoot5 sootfoot5 wrote:

The thing is, you aren't just competing against yourself. You are competing against about 29 other people. And even if your story is really good, it may be that you landed in a group with some really good writers and that enough people had stories that the judges liked better so that you still end up with a zero or a lower score. I know that has happened to me before and then some other year I will make a high score for a story I think is crap.

Your score isn't just about you - it is a grade on the curve, so to speak. Also, judges are human. They can't help but bring their own likes and dislikes to the scoring process.

BUT EVERYONE GETS TO WRITE TWICE! How cool is that?

How DARE you? This should be all about me!!! LOL

Hehehe... I totally get what you're saying. And I agree, maybe my heat was incredibly good, maybe I'm blinded by storytelling narcissism, maybe... But as you said, the lords of RNG are not to be trifled with, and humans are humans. Also, I should NEVER get this emotionally involved with my own work, yet how can you not? It's a part of us, of our brainmeats, that we send up for trial, after all...

And indeed, WE GET TO WRITE AGAIN!
sootfoot5 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sootfoot5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 10:35pm
You poor thing... indeed, how dare I not make it all about you? I am just HORRIBLE! I don't think I shall sleep tonight knowing how monstrous I have been!

And yes, I am a bullsh*tter!

Seriously, I don't make light of anyone's disappointment having been disappointed myself. It isn't so bad when you aren't crazy about your story, but when you are truly proud of your work and to have it knocked down like that, hell yes, it is heartbreaking.

Oh, this was supposed to be about you. Sorry. I forgot. (Hee Hee)

THANK GOD we all get to write twice, eh? (PS. I love Canada!)

tcFlash View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcFlash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2017 at 6:49am
I've learned to accept zeros. I've had lots of practice. In fact, last year I began a tradition of predicting WHY I will get a zero. This year, the judges will once again reference the dreaded, "unbelievable" when they comment on my story. When that happens, zeros follow. 

In spite of this, I will be back for the second half of round one.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>