NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stop procrastinating! !!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2017 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by Splinker Splinker wrote:

Yeah. I'm sure your right. But, er, what was that idea again?

Jacques Cousteau meets a singing Jamaican lobster. Hilarity ensues.
Rhyming Story R2: Flying On Empty (Thriller)
JeffreyHowe View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeffreyHowe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2017 at 3:04pm
Baby it's better
Down where it's wetter
Take it from me

Your next assignment: imagine Barry White singing this song. Confused
simplya View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simplya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2017 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by lisafox10800 lisafox10800 wrote:

I HATE these prompts! Give me political satire again, any day, over this. Ugh!

Yeah this prompt was rough. So vague...I feel like you really could have written about anything. Much easier when a genre sort of "directs" you one way or another.
lisafox10800 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisafox10800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2017 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by simplya simplya wrote:

Yeah this prompt was rough. So vague...I feel like you really could have written about anything. Much easier when a genre sort of "directs" you one way or another.

From reading the posts of others who have made finals in the past (this is my first time), I believe they ask you to list what genre you wrote in when you upload to the site. 

My script crosses four of them. 

I was planning to self-direct toward one specific genre until I saw the prompts. Best laid plans...
lisafoxiswriting.com
My short story collection, Core Truths, is now available wherever books are sold.
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeffreyHowe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2017 at 4:13pm
Unlike the first two rounds, I did not have a solid notion for this one last night before I went to bed. I had several squishy ones, none of which felt quite like "it."

Woke up a little before six CDT, and one of the squishy ones had set overnight into a possibility. Some quick Google-fu made me more confident about it, cheeky though I think it is. The finals does not feel like the time to play it safe, at least not for me.

Hope you all are getting there. Thumbs Up
simplya View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simplya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2017 at 4:21pm

Originally posted by simplya simplya wrote:

From reading the posts of others who have made finals in the past (this is my first time), I believe they ask you to list what genre you wrote in when you upload to the site. 

My script crosses four of them. 

I was planning to self-direct toward one specific genre until I saw the prompts. Best laid plans...

Yeah, you do have to write your genre. Mine could have fallen into a few as well, but I decided on the one that felt "the most right" LOL. Only time will tell....Confused
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeffreyHowe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2017 at 4:38pm
Kinda wrestling with that myself. Neither of the two genres I could pick are quite right, and the one that's perfect isn't on the list of options.
JuliKobayashi View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JuliKobayashi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2017 at 7:21pm
Ugh, I hate these prompts, too. I think my genre defaults to drama since it's so meh. I guess I have over 4 hours to make this damn thing sharper - make my character more interesting, raise the stakes, remove things that are too on the nose (which feels like pretty much every part), and improve the exposition where I'm telling too much instead of showing. Gah!

I wish I could throw my premise under DA sea and start over, but it's too late. 

... And I plan to stop procrastinating after I play 5 more rounds of candy crush.

Well, at least I'm looking forward to reading all of your scripts, no matter what I end up submitting turns out to be.

I have to get back to playing candy crush now... Wacko
Tim G View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2017 at 7:49pm
I just need a damn title. 
Rhyming Story R2: Flying On Empty (Thriller)
simplya View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simplya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2017 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by Tim G Tim G wrote:

I just need a damn title. 

And there it is. You nailed it
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>