NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Good scorers who don't progress -- FFC

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vernacula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Good scorers who don't progress -- FFC
    Posted: 16 May 2017 at 7:30am
Hello, friends! Last FFC was my first time out in that contest, and I didn't progress after what I thought were pretty decent scores in the first rounds (15 + 10 = 25 total). Does that tend to happen a lot? Maybe I just completely burned out during the third round.

Of course I'm here mostly for the challenge, but I put a lot of myself into the contest and work (as I know we all do!). I just don't know how often the fun of it all is tempered by disappointment for some from a results/feedback/math standpoint. Pure curiosity...do the numbers help or hinder? Appreciate the input.

And again, I know it's good practice, two rounds guaranteed, great community, not here to win, etc. Just asking an honest question. ;-)

Edited by Vernacula - 16 May 2017 at 11:57am
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 12:09pm
I have noticed this happening in the lower groups, mostly.  My thinking is that the old hands want to take advantage of the cheaper entry fee and NYC Midnight is filling up the groups as the entries come in - they do it this way, I am assuming, because they can't know how many will enter.  I would say you managed to get put into a tight group.

Now, as you say, the feedback can be far less than what is needed to improve our lot in a next contest.  What, I think would really help a writer would be knowing where we scored well and where we needed improvement, other than the run of the mill comments of the judges.  The rules state: scoring is split up into three sections.  Each feedback should then have, along with the judge's number, his scoring of the story, 10/15/55 sort of format.  As it is, I have no idea how my story got the points it did, only the judges stating that I need to . . .  It would be nice to be able to concentrate on what is giving us trouble.

Edited by Suave - 16 May 2017 at 12:16pm
Vernacula View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vernacula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 12:19pm
Thanks for the input, Suave! I hadn't thought about how the rounds are filled out. I do agree, it feels a little weird to have our scores in early rounds and then...nothing. I expect it in a contest like SSC, because we don't ever see scores. In FF, it would be helpful to have that through-line and info on solid areas for improvement.

I'm just wondering if I'm up for it again. I got two great pieces out of it (maybe three? Hard to tell), but it felt sort of empty at the end.
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 12:31pm
Yes, I know your pain.  I really enjoy the chase though.  I know my grammar and punctuation is very weak, had a brain injury and I just can't quite wrap my head around it - can be elusive.  I have been trying to get an advance out of a really good story, but I am afraid that is not enough, especially with the burgeoning numbers of contestants.
BlackGate View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackGate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2017 at 7:54pm
You didn't get through with 25? Wow. Some folks get through with just 15.... Very unlucky there.

BG
Micro 250 R1 - The Iron Harvest
Micro 250 R2 - The Phantom
fistofcurry View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fistofcurry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2017 at 12:44pm
You should have been able to see the scores of the other people in your cluster. They also do a thing where if two people tie for a final score in position number 5, the writer with the higher score in the second round goes forward. So it's possible someone else in your heat got 25 and went forward because they had 10 in the first round and 15 in the second.
steph9289 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steph9289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2017 at 12:54pm
I could be totally wrong here, but I thought Vernacula was referring to not making it past the 3rd round even though she had good scores in the first two scored rounds.
#amrevising
Vernacula View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vernacula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 10:17pm
Originally posted by Suave Suave wrote:

Yes, I know your pain.  I really enjoy the chase though.  I know my grammar and punctuation is very weak, had a brain injury and I just can't quite wrap my head around it - can be elusive.  I have been trying to get an advance out of a really good story, but I am afraid that is not enough, especially with the burgeoning numbers of contestants.

I'm so sorry to hear of this! It's amazing that you keep pushing through. I have a spinal injury myself, and often get spinal headaches/migraines from the stress of timed writing. I feel your pain. Sending you all the sales juju for your story. Hope you get (got?) that advance! Smile
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 10:52pm
Originally posted by Vernacula Vernacula wrote:

Originally posted by Suave Suave wrote:

I'm so sorry to hear of this! It's amazing that you keep pushing through. I have a spinal injury myself, and often get spinal headaches/migraines from the stress of timed writing. I feel your pain. Sending you all the sales juju for your story. Hope you get (got?) that advance! Smile

Thanks for your thoughts.  No, have not got yet!  But, have a few scores and a honorable mention on one.  I enjoy the birthing process - sorry can't help myself.  Good luck to you in the upcoming FFC!  Big smile
ShroudedWolf View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShroudedWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 5:23pm
Yeah, you were unlucky to be in a group where you didn't advance with 25. I don't remember for sure, but I think I had 27 to advance, then didn't get to the final. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>