NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What did you get and how do you feel about it?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 17>
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tricksie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 5:52am
Originally posted by taequeendo taequeendo wrote:

Suspense, a funeral, and a tutor..... and frankly I'm terrified O_o especially with the time constraint

I am in this heat, too. Still pondering.
nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 6:44am
So I'm pretty sure that the laws of probability no longer work for me... I am writing... wait for it.... ANOTHER GHOST STORY. That will be the 4th in 5 prompts. I think I'll publish an anthology. I'm 1/2 way there already.

Heat 5
Ghost Story
Volunteer firefighter
a loan

>insert strangled sigh here<

josephine View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote josephine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 7:02am
Originally posted by taequeendo taequeendo wrote:

Suspense, a funeral, and a tutor..... and frankly I'm terrified O_o especially with the time constraint

ME TOO to all of the above!
vkmartin View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vkmartin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 7:17am
Sci Fi (again!)/ long-term parking / an electrician

It's an interesting prompt, I don't quite know where I'm going with it yet but my goal for today is to figure it out, since I need to do most of my writing tomorrow.

I would have preferred to get a different genre from round 1 but I did okay in Sci Fi before, so maybe that's a good thing. And it is a pretty broad genre so the story will still be quite different.
LaraH View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaraH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 7:35am
I'm in the ghost story--loan--volunteer firefighter group. So far I'm uninspired.

I need to dig up the genre descriptions --it seems to me like it said it was a scary story involving ghosts but does it have to be scary or just involve a ghost?

plkphoto View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plkphoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 8:14am
Originally posted by Laura Laura wrote:

Originally posted by plkphoto plkphoto wrote:

Group 3

Fairy Tale (I like fairy tales and enjoy writing them... but last time the judges had completely opposite opinions of my fairy tale... mixed emotions)

A delivery (meh)

A migrant worker (hmmmmmm.....)

Hopefully an epiphany will come to me while I'm at work... for most of the round... and I'll be able to smash something out on my one day off right before the deadline...

I'm in the same group as you. Not one iota of an idea has sprung to mind   
I'll also be cracking this out about twelve hours before the deadline. Anyone any tips on writing a fairytale?? Can it be a little bit darker or am I stuck in happyland?

Well... in theory it can be dark because they mention Grimm as an example in their definition... BUT a few of us have had judges that we like to call the "Disney judges" who seem to only like happy stuff. I have seen dark fairytales advance, though. It really depends on the judges you get. Having said that, the key is to write what really interests you, and hope your vision wins over the judges. Like I said, last time I got fairytale, one judge loved it and the other ... did not.
FFC 2018

Ch1 Gr62 -- The Other Side of the Coin (Thriller)
AllyM84 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllyM84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 8:20am
Fantasy, a collection, and a Scuba Diver. 

Seems pretty ripe with possibilities! I realized I haven't had fantasy yet and that tends to be what I like to write. So, yay! Hopefully the ideas come soon, gotta get through work today then have the whole weekend for writing! 

Edited by AllyM84 - 24 Mar 2017 at 8:27am
LaissezFaire View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaissezFaire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 8:28am
Heat 5, Ghost Story, a loan, a volunteer firefighter

That volunteer firefighter is a stumper

Edited by LaissezFaire - 24 Mar 2017 at 8:29am
kkliossis View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kkliossis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 8:29am
Heat 9.  Action Adventure/ Prison Guard/ Melting

Not sure how I feel about it, guess we'll see after I start writing.
nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 8:32am
Originally posted by LaissezFaire LaissezFaire wrote:

Heat 5, Ghost Story, a loan, a volunteer firefighter

That volunteer firefighter is a stumper

Funny, I'm in the same group, but have already discarded something like 10 ideas because I feel they're too obvious or cliche... It'll be interesting to see how folks shake out.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 17>