FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Waiting is a nightmare.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 16>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
lisafox10800 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisafox10800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Waiting is a nightmare.
    Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 7:03pm
Originally posted by De Chelonian Mobile De Chelonian Mobile wrote:

Originally posted by lisafox10800 lisafox10800 wrote:

Originally posted by Metroe Metroe wrote:

Sure Lisa .... sounds like a good idea to me. I place you officially in charge of the "Misjudged Writer's Challenge 2017"

Ha ha - I like the title, it's catchy!  :)

I am going to pick a random group number for myself and stick to it when the prompts come out.  Just for practice and fun.  Happy to swap stories if you decide to do the same - send me a PM!  

Don't do a random pick, just decide now, that you are in my assigned group. Smile That way we can share stories that are in the same heat for sure!

Ok, you've got a deal. :)
lisafoxiswriting.com
My short story collection, Core Truths, is now available wherever books are sold.
patsy View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 6:51pm

Having just been given the flick from round 1 I thought I should now post my miserable effort in the hope that somebody more talented and experienced might set me on course for next year ..... the trouble is that I have no idea of how to actually do that. Any hints?

There is a review forum for stories up above the general forums.  You can post your story to a google doc, or to your blog and post the link up in the SS review forum.  The best way to get people to review your story is to review other people's.  I'd wait until the R2 stories go up as the forums are a bit quiet now, but if you read and comment on the R2 stories that are posted, most will give you a readback review :) 
lisafox10800 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisafox10800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 6:37pm
Originally posted by Andrea Andrea wrote:

Originally posted by Reez Reez wrote:

Anyone not make it through to the next round but still interested in writing this weekend?  It would be great to get a couple of folks together to write anyway, randomizing this weekend's prompts, to keep the momentum going.  We can motivate each other!  

My biggest disappointment in coming *thisclose* in Round 1 is the lack of assignment and deadline to keep me from being distracted by life.  I was really looking forward to writing this weekend...  but who's to say I can't?  Wink  PM me if you'd be interested in joining me.  This way I've made a commitment and can't find other, more pressing things to do.  Like laundry.  Or Facebook.  Or catching up on "Hotel Impossible."

I would love to read and review for you Lisa. I'm more than a little surprised you didn't get into the 2nd round.

Thank you, that means a lot. Devastating to get my hopes up seeing my name, only to see the two letters next to it.   They should really put HMs on a separate page with a list that long.  And no one who posted in my group got through, so there's really no context around what the judges were looking for.

I'm glad to see you made it through, I loved your story!  Best of luck this weekend and feel free to hit me up if you need a beta.

I can relate Lisa,

Saw my name on the list and almost thought I was in, before I saw the HM. Sixth is hell.

My second time coming sixth too...frustrating!

Definitely heading over to screenwriting next. Somehow I can break through rounds on that side, whilst this remains elusive. Are you going for screenplay?

Hi, Reez.  Congratulations on the HM and my condolences on the HM.  It's a weird limbo place to be.  Happy to be recognized but, of course, it's upsetting and frustrating to not be moving on.  I am doing screenwriting in April - never wrote a screenplay in my life so this should be interesting...  :) 
Floating in that same boat, the HM(s) Not Quite Moving On or, Can't Find the Leak, but Still Sinking.  Always a drag to be runner-up, but I'm very happy with my story (don't know where it could have life beyond this competition though) and glad I stretched to write Political Satire.  

I might write with you this weekend, Lisa.  I'll get back to you later in the week. I have to admit, there's a part of me that was happy to be set free because I've been procrastinating on a larger project, and now I have no excuse not to dig in and get back to it. As wonderful as this entire experience is, I find I spend an inordinate amount of time on the forums after the fact, reading and giving feedback...a convenient way to put of my own work. 

And, BTW, I love your writing and this rounds stories.  Still love Daisy. 

Andrea: 

I saw your HM as I was scouring the list last night - again congratulations/condolences.  Your story was AMAZING and I loved every word.  You must have had some crazy competition in your heat.

I need to keep the momentum going with my writing - life keeps getting in the way so contest or no contest, I am going to force myself to put pen to paper this weekend.  Would love it if you would join me - let me know.  

And thank you for your kind words.  :)  I am glad Daisy materialized, too.
lisafoxiswriting.com
My short story collection, Core Truths, is now available wherever books are sold.
Andrea View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 6:28pm

Anyone not make it through to the next round but still interested in writing this weekend?  It would be great to get a couple of folks together to write anyway, randomizing this weekend's prompts, to keep the momentum going.  We can motivate each other!  

My biggest disappointment in coming *thisclose* in Round 1 is the lack of assignment and deadline to keep me from being distracted by life.  I was really looking forward to writing this weekend...  but who's to say I can't?  Wink  PM me if you'd be interested in joining me.  This way I've made a commitment and can't find other, more pressing things to do.  Like laundry.  Or Facebook.  Or catching up on "Hotel Impossible."

I would love to read and review for you Lisa. I'm more than a little surprised you didn't get into the 2nd round.

Thank you, that means a lot. Devastating to get my hopes up seeing my name, only to see the two letters next to it.   They should really put HMs on a separate page with a list that long.  And no one who posted in my group got through, so there's really no context around what the judges were looking for.

I'm glad to see you made it through, I loved your story!  Best of luck this weekend and feel free to hit me up if you need a beta.

I can relate Lisa,

Saw my name on the list and almost thought I was in, before I saw the HM. Sixth is hell.

Definitely heading over to screenwriting next. Somehow I can break through rounds on that side, whilst this remains elusive. Are you going for screenplay?

Hi, Reez.  Congratulations on the HM and my condolences on the HM.  It's a weird limbo place to be.  Happy to be recognized but, of course, it's upsetting and frustrating to not be moving on.  I am doing screenwriting in April - never wrote a screenplay in my life so this should be interesting...  :) 
Floating in that same boat, the HM(s) Not Quite Moving On or, Can't Find the Leak, but Still Sinking.  Always a drag to be runner-up, but I'm very happy with my story (don't know where it could have life beyond this competition though) and glad I stretched to write Political Satire.  

I might write with you this weekend, Lisa.  I'll get back to you later in the week. I have to admit, there's a part of me that was happy to be set free because I've been procrastinating on a larger project, and now I have no excuse not to dig in and get back to it. As wonderful as this entire experience is, I find I spend an inordinate amount of time on the forums after the fact, reading and giving feedback...a convenient way to put of my own work. 

And, BTW, I love your writing and this rounds stories.  Still love Daisy. 
Reez View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 5:45pm
Originally posted by Vernacula Vernacula wrote:

Thanks Vernacula, feeling better already and loving the Dante reference!

See you at screenplay!

Can't wait. I know you're going to kill it!

Thanks Vernacula!!!
nicayal View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicayal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 5:44pm
Originally posted by Tynnyt Tynnyt wrote:

Is there a person among us who actually enjoys political satire? I can see some might like historical fiction, but I'd also like to see that become, well, history.

I'd LOVE to write political satire, but my political knowledge is all UK based. If I drew it in the comp I'd be worried I'd be one of hundreds of 'Grrrr, Trump bad' entries. 

This was something I did NOT take into consideration when I wrote my political satire piece (I got an HM and I'll take it since I've never written this genre before...or entered a writing contest, for that matter). But it seemed like a solid handful of my forum reviewers weren't American so my piece confused some people. I assumed a Ralph Nader reference (along with a couple other period-specific drop-ins) would be plenty to tip people off that the story was set in 2000. I didn't even consider the fact that some people might not be familiar with who Nader is. Lesson learned for next time!

I might be just as confused if I read a political satire piece set in the Thatcher era, to be honest. So many factors to take into account next year.

Now that I've read some political satire pieces shared on the forums though, I'd be willing to give it a try again. I didn't really have a sense of what it encompassed when I got my assignment, and by then, I just had to sit down and write and hope for the best due to the time constraints.
SSC 2017: R1 H43 - Spoiler Effect (Honorable Mention)
SSC 2018: R1 H28 - Crossroads
Reez View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 5:38pm

[QUOTE=Reez] [QUOTE=lisafox10800] [QUOTE=De Chelonian Mobile][QUOTE=lisafox10800  I am doing screenwriting in April - never wrote a screenplay in my life so this should be interesting...  :) 

It's a different brain strain but one compliments the other.

I think of it as moving the story from the back to the front of my brain. A visual first to second person. I'm sure you'll love it!

See you on the other side.
Vernacula View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vernacula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 5:10pm

See you at screenplay!

Can't wait. I know you're going to kill it!
Reez View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 5:06pm

REEZ!

Dante's sixth circle of hell is heresy! "An <span>opinion profoundly at odds with what is generally accepted." He was on to something.

As a former sixer myself, sending you congratulations while also flipping the bird at the world for you. Smile
</span>

See you at screenplay!

De Chelonian Mobile View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote De Chelonian Mobile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 4:59pm

Sure Lisa .... sounds like a good idea to me. I place you officially in charge of the "Misjudged Writer's Challenge 2017"

Ha ha - I like the title, it's catchy!  :)

I am going to pick a random group number for myself and stick to it when the prompts come out.  Just for practice and fun.  Happy to swap stories if you decide to do the same - send me a PM!  

Don't do a random pick, just decide now, that you are in my assigned group. Smile That way we can share stories that are in the same heat for sure!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 16>