NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Who's in the Short Screenplay Challenge 2016?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ottersdaughter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2016 at 1:25am
Originally posted by DBA Lehane DBA Lehane wrote:

You may find this useful: http://www.screenwriting.info/

That's extremely useful, thanks! Count me in Thumbs Up
FF#1: Made with Magic (Horror)

2017 ShSc HM
2016 FFC & ShSc Finalist
callmedeb View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote callmedeb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2016 at 11:40am
I'm in - Had a BLAST doing the Screenwriting Challenge, so I'm looking to this one to keep my creative juices sharp while I plug away at the feature I'm currently massacring, lol.

Looking forward to this =)
R1H78 - THE CHILDREN OF LIR
Writing is easy. You just open a vein and bleed.
Vernacula View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Vernacula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2016 at 4:05am
For those of you nervous about never having written screenplays: I had no experience writing them before this last Screenplay Challenge (though I'd read quite a few scripts, and written national TV spots). I signed up figuring I'd wing it.

My first two scripts - ever - got me into the finals. My third script netted me 13th place out of 1500+ people. So you never know what could happen! I was also just looking to have fun and try a new format. I did end up having a blast, and learning a bunch. I say go for it! Smile
StephwithanF View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StephwithanF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2016 at 11:57am
/wave Darren

The only scripts I consistently finish are the ones for this contest, so I figure its good to keep me writing.  Just hope for some promps with synergy. (absolutely hated, Vegan Chef, Funeral and Fairytale for the screenwriting comp)
Puffindor View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Puffindor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2016 at 10:24am
So, I've never written a screenplay before or anything remotely similar to it. My first time entering an NYC Midnight challenge was the last Short Story challenge. I couldn't enter the Flash Fiction Challenge, though I really wanted to, because I was busy studying for the bar exam. So I think I'll give this one a go, as I'm currently unemployed anyway! That being said, if anyone wants to hire me as an associate attorney or paralegal, please get in touch and I'll be more than happy to send you my resume! :)
Puffindor View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Puffindor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2016 at 10:31am
Oh dear, I just looked at the dates for the first challenge. I am due to be out of town that weekend! This is not good. I couldn't enter the Flash Fiction Challenge because the first challenge was too close to the bar exam, and now this. :( It might be difficult too as I've never written screenplay before and the formatting might take time. What do you guys think?? 
jimmyobr View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimmyobr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2016 at 10:24pm
Hey Puffin,

Formatting is pretty simple if you use a website called Celtx. There are other scriptwriting websites out there, but I use that one. It's simple and easy to use. You can access it anywhere if you have the net, so even if you're out of town, all your work will be saved there. Also I would suggest reading a few shorts and checking out the way they are set out. If you want help with things like structure or what you can and cannot put in a screenplay, let me know. Always happy to help a fellow writer.
James
Screenwriting Finalist 2016
bebeashley95 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bebeashley95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2016 at 2:36pm
I'm in! Will also be my first time so I'm reading as much advice as possible :P 
HarrisonFordLova View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarrisonFordLova Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 6:58am
Me! I thought I'd have some fun :D I really enjoyed my experience in 2014. It was a great exercise in skill development and technique! I'm super pumped for this year's opportunity to play :D 
CH1 G70 Comedy
T.O.Y
Scarlet Screenwriter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Scarlet Screenwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 6:15am
Originally posted by ottersdaughter ottersdaughter wrote:

I'm seriously considering it, but I don't even know what a screenplay looks like. I've thought about it before though, so maybe now's the time to learn?

Of course!  Ashgabat!  Now NOBODY can complain that we are not an international competition!

OD ... Screenplays follow a very logical structure and a simple set of rules.  Darren is right to read up, as well as just READ screenplays ... there are thousands on line ...

http://www.nyfa.edu/student-resources/10-great-websites-download-movie-scripts/
http://www.imsdb.com/
http://www.screenplaydb.com/film/all/

The rules are simple ...

• Remember, these screenplays are for READING, not FILMING
  • Only write what the audience can SEE and HEAR
  • Don't give camera directions or overly elaborate descriptions.
  • Avoid exposition like the PLAGUE!

Each scene has a SCENE HEADING, a SLUG LINE which describes the scene, ACTION and DIALOGUE. 

When a new major character comes into your film, the are introduced in CAPS ... Name, age, what they're wearing if it's important ... that sort of thing ...

Read some of the entries from the last round ...

Good luck!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>