NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"This is for all you new people..."

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 26>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote plkphoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2016 at 11:55am
Thumbs Up
FFC 2018

Ch1 Gr62 -- The Other Side of the Coin (Thriller)
maiaco View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote maiaco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2016 at 1:30pm
+1
No baby acorns were harmed in the writing of this story

plkphoto View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plkphoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2016 at 10:24pm

^^^^^

FFC 2018

Ch1 Gr62 -- The Other Side of the Coin (Thriller)
Scarlet Screenwriter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarlet Screenwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2016 at 10:36pm

Yesterday I had to upload a video/audio for a client ... a large one ... I ended up putting a still over it in iMovie and then uploading it to YouTube ... and storing it as "unlisted" ... meaning only people who click the link can view it ... I've had videos up there for nearly 10 years ...

nixie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2016 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by Scarlet Screenwriter Scarlet Screenwriter wrote:

Yesterday I had to upload a video/audio for a client ... a large one ... I ended up putting a still over it in iMovie and then uploading it to YouTube ... and storing it as "unlisted" ... meaning only people who click the link can view it ... I've had videos up there for nearly 10 years ...

Nobody's debating that. Scarlet.  I think I was very clear that *I* wrote a post, for which it was *my* intention that the information be wholly self-contained and not reliant on external resources (regardless of how reliable one thinks they may be.  TWA and E. F. Hutton were considered stable and unassailable right tile they disappeared, after all. *I* chose for *my* post not to link outward). I also noted that those who wished to were welcome to link external resources in the comments - indeed, encouraged it.

If you wish to link external resources, feel free. If you wish to rewrite the post the way you think it should be done, and post it "your way," you are welcome to do that. If you feel the need to hijack the usefulness of this thread by turning it into a public debate on why "your way" is the only right way - I'm afraid my current schedule doesn't leave time for that sort of thing. :)

Edited by nixie - 05 Aug 2016 at 4:40pm
milesmum View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote milesmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2016 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by topangarose topangarose wrote:

Nixie- This is a great post.

Instead of linking to your actual story in your signature-- link to your story THREAD on NYC.  If you link straight to your story, we have to go looking for you to critique your story and many won't bother. It's hard with this many contestants to find.

Linking your thread takes a person right from any post you make right to your story thread. If you critique another's story on their story thread, they can just click on your signature and get straight to  your story thread. Once they get to your story thread they will find the link to your actual story which you've placed in the first post announcing your story and title, etc.

I'll add that if you want to reciprocate a critique of someone's story who didn't link to their NYCM post, you can click on the little black arrow beside that person's handle on the left side of your thread and click "Find Members' Posts" and then select "Search for Topics This Member Started". That'll get you there, but don't assume people know to do this. I've been doing these competitions since 2008 and I only figured that one out a couple of weeks ago! (Hopefully this also wasn't mentioned already. I'm at work, so can only skim).
KCBabe13 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KCBabe13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2016 at 8:21am
As a noobie...This was very helpful! Thanks so much for the info. Clap
Read my 1st Round story titled The secret Olive
nixie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2016 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by milesmum milesmum wrote:

I'll add that if you want to reciprocate a critique of someone's story who didn't link to their NYCM post, you can click on the little black arrow beside that person's handle on the left side of your thread and click "Find Members' Posts" and then select "Search for Topics This Member Started". That'll get you there, but don't assume people know to do this. I've been doing these competitions since 2008 and I only figured that one out a couple of weeks ago! (Hopefully this also wasn't mentioned already. I'm at work, so can only skim).

A great thing that people might not find on their own at first - thank you!  I also recommend looking at the filtering options - that search can be limited to the FFC review forum, to the last few weeks, etc. - lots of ways to narrow down the number of posts you look through to find them. :)
TiggersGirl View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TiggersGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 4:04pm
I do not see this in the comments so I will ask if anyone knows how to do this or even if it's possible. Is there a way for me to reply to a comment on one of my entries and have my reply drop down immediately underneath their comment? It seems like I should be able to do this. Just clicking reply doesn't seem to work.
Scarlet Screenwriter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarlet Screenwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 4:30pm
Originally posted by TiggersGirl TiggersGirl wrote:

I do not see this in the comments so I will ask if anyone knows how to do this or even if it's possible. Is there a way for me to reply to a comment on one of my entries and have my reply drop down immediately underneath their comment? It seems like I should be able to do this. Just clicking reply doesn't seem to work.

No, you just have to quite the whole comment and take it down with you.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 26>