NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"This is for all you new people..."

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2021 at 2:53pm
<bumpity bump>
lumpyspaceprincess View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lumpyspaceprincess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2021 at 5:11pm
I see a lot of entries have been posted- should I be concerned that I haven’t gotten my official email confirmation?
nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2021 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by lumpyspaceprincess lumpyspaceprincess wrote:

I see a lot of entries have been posted- should I be concerned that I haven’t gotten my official email confirmation?

nope - they come in waves over several hours... if you do not have it by tomorrow email feedback@nycmidnight.com
nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 10:44am
<Bump>
Not_a_Robot View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Not_a_Robot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 5:32pm
Since I am new I get to write a stupid question, right? 

Hypothetically, I find out I am in R1 G13 (Round 1 Group 13) Does someone come on here and start a group chat/forum topic specifically for our group? Do I have to be that someone? 
robcunn View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robcunn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 6:08pm
Not a stupid question but no. You won't need to create anything until we've all submitted and are allowed to make a thread for our own story. You probably won't interact with your group/heatmates until you submit your story. Then you will find them by reviewing the threads that mods make collecting everyone's submissions for a directory and can read their story in the thread they post with their story, etc.

All of that will happen once submissions are closed. 

Between now and then though, you may be swapping beta reads with people from other heats/groups to improve your story before you submit. 

You won't know or interact with most of the people in your heat/group. If you're lucky, 3-5 others from your heat/group will be posting on the forums. Most won't. 

Hope that helps! 
SSC2023 R1, G188 RomCom/Outdated/Mediator: The Empath & the Sorcerer
Not_a_Robot View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Not_a_Robot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 7:12pm
Thank you robcunn, I appreciate your well writen descriptive answer. After I asked my stupid/not stupid question I discovered the 'short screenplay 2021' group is still active. I was able to look at how this competition is set up in announcing groups, genres, and winner's of rounds. I find it very fascinating. Then I read some winning stories, screen plays, flash fiction from the past and feel like I might be in over my head. 

Edited by Not_a_Robot - 14 Jan 2022 at 7:13pm
robcunn View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote robcunn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 7:37pm
Nah, you're in the right place. The vast majority of us are amateurs and competitions like this are what allow us to develop our craft. You'll see all ability-levels represented in the submitted stories and the community overall is very supportive. If you are able to get a draft that you can do critique partnering/beta-reading with others, you'll learn alot! 
SSC2023 R1, G188 RomCom/Outdated/Mediator: The Empath & the Sorcerer
nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2022 at 8:46am
Bump
ZoeLou View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZoeLou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2022 at 10:37pm
Bump :)
SSC R1: The Many Faces of Gemini

All my NYCM work: Author Archive
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526>