NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"This is for all you new people..."

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 26>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 12:38am
Originally posted by tcFlash tcFlash wrote:

Originally posted by Joni Joni wrote:

Originally posted by nixie nixie wrote:

Originally posted by stephenmatlock stephenmatlock wrote:

Originally posted by lord peter wimsey lord peter wimsey wrote:

Originally posted by richard nixon richard nixon wrote:

... nothing you can do about the people who copied your question into THEIR posts. *grin*<div id="UMS_TOOLTIP" style=": ; cursor: pointer; : 2147483647; : transparent; top: -100000px; left: -100000px;">
I'm on my way to check out your posts. 

It's worse than that...

There goes my reputation. 

worse still...
In the SSC, I'll have a name change. Maybe a sex change. You'll never know me.

That escalated quickly.
All because of a stupid question. 

But... there's no such thing as a stupid question, right...?
tcFlash View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tcFlash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 4:16am

Originally posted by Joni Joni wrote:

Originally posted by stephenmatlock stephenmatlock wrote:

Originally posted by lord peter wimsey lord peter wimsey wrote:

Originally posted by richard nixon richard nixon wrote:

... nothing you can do about the people who copied your question into THEIR posts. *grin*<div id="UMS_TOOLTIP" style=": ; cursor: pointer; : 2147483647; : transparent; top: -100000px; left: -100000px;">
I'm on my way to check out your posts. 

It's worse than that...

There goes my reputation. 

worse still...
In the SSC, I'll have a name change. Maybe a sex change. You'll never know me.

That escalated quickly.
All because of a stupid question. 

This may be the one exception. 
nixie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 10:01am

This may be the one exception. 

harsh....ShockedTongue

Edited by nixie - 17 Nov 2017 at 10:01am
lisafox10800 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote lisafox10800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2018 at 3:59pm

[subject proudly borrowed from the Starship Troopers screenplay]

The following is not ‘official’ in any way. It merely reflects my observations from participating in the forum. 

Veterans: If you have had a different experience or expectation, please comment!

Noobs: This should serve as a basic introduction, and get you started.

When Do I Post?

After you receive your confirmation e-mail from NYCM.  (Not the auto-message from Submittable, but the one that comes directly from NYCM a few days later)

Where Do I Post?

Creative Writing Corner is an open forum. This means that anyone on the internet can see what is here.  When posting links to stories, you are *strongly* advised to post in the forum for your contest – which can only be accessed by those in your contest.

What If I Posted in the Wrong Place?

You can't delete posts - even your own.  But you *can edit them.  Visit your post, click "post options" in the top right corner, and select the "edit" option.  You can then erase your text, replace it with a message that it was posted in error (sometimes, if you change the subject to "please delete - posted in error" the admins will take it down for you), or even add a link to your correct/preferred post.

What Do I Post?

Add a “New Topic” (this will start your very own thread - so be sure you do it from within your contest's forum, and not here in CWC) and in the subject, include the Challenge #, Group/Heat number, and the Title of your piece:

Ch2 Gr17 My Title

In the body of your post, include the prompts, title, and synopsis/logline

Link your story.

• Pasting your story into a post means it will be here forever - you can't delete the post.  
  • Sharing your story read-only from your google drive, onedrive, or blog allows you to unshare, remove, or password-protect it later. 
  • Pasting the link without making it live (clickable) is sufficient - but there are lots of stories to read, and the time it takes to copy and paste that into a browser is enough to send some people on their way.  The easier you make it for people, the more people will respond :)

If you use Google, please note that if you are looking at your story, you can’t just copy the address from your browser – it will point users to their own google drive, or give a permissions error (depending on how you go about it).  Most reliable: look at your google drive.  See your story in the list of files? Right-click it and choose the option to share a link (or whatever they are calling it this week).  Make sure you chose “view” permissions – and use that link.

Wait – How Do I Link Stuff?

In the body of your post (for example, if you want the title of your story to be a clickable link to your story):

Type your text   “MY TITLE” - then highlight that text.

Click the 5th button on the toolbar (earth + links of chain)

In the box that comes up, leave the two drop-downs alone – you are looking for the place where your text already appears!

Replace “MY TITLE”  with “myurl.com”  (note that I did *not include http:// in that – it will be added by that drop-down box just left of where you are typing.  If you include it here, your link will be http://http://myurl.com and will not work)

Linking In Your Signature

This one is a bit more challenging because you have to do it like a programmer ;)  Some people link directly to their story in their signature, but it is probably preferable to link to your forum post – that way folks also know where to leave you feedback!!

To add a link to your signature:

•        Click member control panel
  •        Click profile
  •        Scroll down til you see the box for your signature
  •        Follow the example below (asterisks have been added in order to ensure the text is displayed and not 'interpreted" and presented as an actual link - remove them from the example when you try to create yours.  Replace the first blue text with your link. Replace the second blue text with the 'friendly' words you want to appear in your signature)

[**URL=http://mylink.com**] The text I want you to see [**/URL**]

That says:

["this thing is a url"] "display this text*["/end of the url stuffs"]

There is a limit to the number of characters in your signature. If you have multiple entries in your signature and your edits don't seem to save - length is usually the issue.  Try a link shortener like Tinyurl to cut the length of your links. 

How Do I Get/Give Feedback?

Getting feedback:  Post in the forums, and review other peoples’ stories!

Giving Feedback:

1. “I liked your story” is not really very helpful feedback.  While it is nice to hear, the point of feedback is to make us better writers.  So take a minute to talk about *why you liked (or disliked!) a piece.  What, as a writer, struck you?  Strong, defined characters? Descriptions that made it easy to visualize? Dialog that felt so real you thought you were standing there? Just as importantly, what didn’t work for you, and why didn’t it?  “I didn’t like X” isn’t very helpful either – talk about why X didn’t hit you quite right, or what felt off about it.
  2. It is customary to review the work of those who have reviewed yours.  If you do not return feedback, you will find that as time goes on people realize this and are less willing to invest in critiquing your stories.
  3. Think about what would help you as a writer – and start there.  With a short time and tight word count, we know everyone is rushed – a few minor typos or punctuation errors are going to creep in. Are they worth commenting on?  If it is every sentence – maybe.  But if is it a handful – maybe that’s not the most constructive thing you can offer your colleague.  

It’s hard work to come up with real, Writer-y feedback.  If you can’t think of any, it’s OK to say so.  That’s a statement in itself.  Take a minute to explain what you felt was right with the piece, in that event, so the author knows “what to do more of.” Don’t have time? It’s OK to let it lie and come back another day. Most writers will appreciate quality feedback over immediate response, so if you don’t have time to do it well, it’s OK to wait until you do. If you are worried about it, you can always pop a quick comment of “loved this – have more extensive feedback but no time to type – back to you tomorrow!”

Quality trumps instant gratification. Star

Bumping this up as we prepare for posting time.
lisafoxiswriting.com
My short story collection, Core Truths, is now available wherever books are sold.
S. N. Fisher View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S. N. Fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2018 at 7:17pm
2018 Short Story Challenge

Round 1, Heat 96 (Horror/a waiting list/an editor), "Strongly Worded"

2018 SSC R1 H96 STRONGLY WORDED
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisafox10800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2018 at 7:20pm
S.N. You are posting in the wrong place 😊 post in the 2018 challenge subfolder.

Good luck!!!
lisafoxiswriting.com
My short story collection, Core Truths, is now available wherever books are sold.
Vernacula View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vernacula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2018 at 7:22pm
Is the forum cracking under the pressure? The link in my sig line is loading really weird/slowly.
S. N. Fisher View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S. N. Fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2018 at 7:23pm
But the Master List instructions said to post on this forum??? 
2018 SSC R1 H96 STRONGLY WORDED
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisafox10800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2018 at 7:25pm
Originally posted by S. N. Fisher S. N. Fisher wrote:

The one labeled 2018 short story, you’ll see it’s where the flurry of activity is now. Creative writing corner is the wrong spot.
lisafoxiswriting.com
stephenmatlock View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenmatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2018 at 7:57pm
Originally posted by S. N. Fisher S. N. Fisher wrote:

BTW, just so you know--don't worry if you get something wrong your first foray into this space. The software for the forums is wonky. You are surrounded by friends and supportive mentors! Just go with the flow.
Pithy sayings are for the apt. For a longer message, you need a condo.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 26>