NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - How are all y'all second rounders doing so far?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How are all y'all second rounders doing so far?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 14>
Author
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eskparis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2016 at 7:21pm
I'm well outside of my comfort zone with action / adventure + an organ donation + a hunter. So far I have a 1500 word draft and zero objectivity about it. I'm not entirely sure that I'm on point with the genre. And I don't even recognize my voice the way I wrote it. It's been a long, strange day. Stranger yet perhaps because it started in the Catacombs of Paris with my son. I don't know if I'll get very far with this one. And I'm not sure I'll get much past 1500 words. Sigh.
R1/G24/ The Blue Bridge (15pts)
R2/G24/ Easy Living (6pts)
R3/ G2/ TV Eye
Short Story: Liberty / Heat 43 /3rd Place
maiaco View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote maiaco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2016 at 7:28pm
Originally posted by eskparis eskparis wrote:

And I'm not sure I'll get much past 1500 words. Sigh.

There's no minimum - so as long as you have a complete story arc within your 1500 words you don't have to worry.  Just make sure that everything is included.  There's still time to get some beta readers to read for you too. 

Good job on getting so much done after such an amazing day.
No baby acorns were harmed in the writing of this story

elbereth32 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elbereth32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2016 at 7:43pm
The catacombs sounds like an amazing way to start a day!

I'm in your heat. I've never written an action/adventure story in my life and I don't know if what I've written even fits well. But it's the only idea which popped up, so I ran with it. 
R2 H16 For the Love of Money

"It's worse than you know."
"It usually is."

-Serenity

trailtrekkie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trailtrekkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2016 at 7:52pm
So far so good, though still in the outlining stage. Anyone know how many of us move on to Round 3?

Good luck everyone!
justmel View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justmel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2016 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by trailtrekkie trailtrekkie wrote:

So far so good, though still in the outlining stage. Anyone know how many of us move on to Round 3?

Good luck everyone!

I've heard the top four from each R2 heat will go to R3.  Pressure's on for sure.
justmel View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justmel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2016 at 8:16pm
Originally posted by maiaco maiaco wrote:

Originally posted by justmel justmel wrote:

My draft keeps getting longer--right now it's at about 2550 words, and I'm really struggling to figure out how to cut 20% of the story and still have it make sense.

Best of luck to both of us! 

PM'd you justme - you can do this :)

Thanks, maiaco.  Got it. Just PM'd you back.  Smile
csderuyter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csderuyter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2016 at 8:25pm
I'm in group 4. Romantic Comedy/An Open Marriage/A Sculptor

I just want to say here, for the record, that romantic comedy is now the bane of my existence. 

In my head, I have a great story. It's funny. It's romantic. It flows freely and has a natural conclusion.

On paper, none of those things is true so far.  Sigh. Good thing I still have 26 1/2 hours to work out these kinks.  

Any fellow RomCom haters out there?  
justmel View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justmel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2016 at 8:40pm
Originally posted by csderuyter csderuyter wrote:

Any fellow RomCom haters out there?  

*maniacal giggle*
Tricksie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tricksie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2016 at 9:38pm
Um. I thought I was in good shape. And now I'm revamping everything. Like. Revamping the whole central plot device. What the hell am I doing? 
csderuyter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csderuyter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2016 at 9:44pm
Originally posted by Tricksie Tricksie wrote:

Um. I thought I was in good shape. And now I'm revamping everything. Like. Revamping the whole central plot device. What the hell am I doing? 

You're clearly practicing for round 3 when we only have 24 hours.  :)  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 14>