NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Judging Error

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwe15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2016 at 5:34am
"I think there has been a judging mistake"

Wasn't me!Smile   I didn't judge this round.Cry

"The judges cut and paste a bunch of comments just like school teachers on reports..."

Well, yes, but not in the way you think.Shocked  I usually make my initial comments to myself on word or even actual bits of actual paper.  Then have to cut and paste or enter in the EXCEL spreadsh*t - which I think is the culprit.  When the title is in slot A and the comments are in something far way like G and you are not familiar with Excel - and the way it acts on my computer screen Unhappy you do have to be careful.

But it has almost happened to meWacko, but only because I usually triple-check have I caught a false cut&paste.

I also many times reread stories (even sometimes twi
ce) to make absolutely sure of their overall placement vs the field.  I'm sure my judgement sucksOuch at times even so.  But I do tryGeek  And reading a script that really delivers is a real joy.Clap  Which is why I love this contest so.Beer

Had to get my emoticon fix for the month as you can tellThumbs Up
BlackGate View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackGate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2016 at 7:51am
Emoticon-fest! 

Yes I think a spreadsheet is the original issue. Looks like NYCM checks and oversight aren't what they should be though. In the end its their own reputation that suffers with errors.

Edited by BlackGate - 14 Feb 2016 at 7:52am
Micro 250 R1 - The Iron Harvest
Micro 250 R2 - The Phantom
lizsmith5499 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizsmith5499 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2016 at 10:34am
Originally posted by BlackGate BlackGate wrote:

Pretty poor show. After the markdown for "Austria having nothing to do with the second world war" I got in last year's flash, I'm starting to reconsider the value of spending cash on NYCM.

you are kidding. you must be kidding.
R1 Screenplay

LOST AND LIKED
BlackGate View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackGate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2016 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by lizsmith5499 lizsmith5499 wrote:

Originally posted by BlackGate BlackGate wrote:

Pretty poor show. After the markdown for "Austria having nothing to do with the second world war" I got in last year's flash, I'm starting to reconsider the value of spending cash on NYCM.

you are kidding. you must be kidding.

Nope - I still have the comments, and here they are in all their glory (no idea what "30" means here....). Either way the judge had no clue about the British Expeditionary Force in France after the Anschluss. I thought about appealing but it'd have made no difference, just useless and ill-informed judging. If they don't understand something it's best for them to go and read up (and learn) rather than say "it must be wrong'. I got an Honourable Mention for this story - without this inept judge, who knows may have made the final (may not).

NEGATIVE: Citing "the Austria thing" as the reason for a need for a show of strength in France - all this is confusing. Germany invades Poland in 30 -- clouds start to move over Europe thereafter. Your dates have war forces moving well before then -- and I can't make any sense of the Austrian matter. The Polish matter is what moved Europe to war -- when Hitler's troops marched into Poland despite a pact between Hitler and Stalin saying he'd not do so.... Anyway, all that gets in the way of the story -- unfortunately. Work on those details and it will be much stronger.

Edited by BlackGate - 14 Feb 2016 at 2:05pm
Hollyvict View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollyvict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2016 at 3:46pm
Did you address this on their Facebook or Twitter accounts?
BlackGate View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackGate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2016 at 4:04pm
Hi Holly,

This time, yes. For the above "Austria" incident, no. I think the feedback was received after the subsequent round had come and gone so I was out regardless. I was relatively new to NYCM and just thought I'd hit a one-off bad judge.

lizsmith5499 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizsmith5499 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2016 at 8:54pm
it's, like, a one second google OR a basic understanding of modern history.
R1 Screenplay

LOST AND LIKED
StephwithanF View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote StephwithanF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2016 at 12:11pm
They did this for me last year.

I wrote about the american revolutionary war (i.e. Paul Revere) (hist fict) and the comments were talking about slaves escaping.

They ended up RESCORING my heat, but it didnt change the top 5.

I hope they resolved this, and if you were meant to participate in the final challenge, I hope they didnt mess that up.  

THIS is why they should score these things at LEAST a week earlier and not that weds.  Imagine you got the feed back much later only to find out that they swapped SCORES also.
BlackGate View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackGate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2016 at 3:15am
Email from NYCM:

Hi,
We have heard back from our judges, and unfortunately there was a mixup in feedback and scoring as well. It appears that the stories may not have been in alphabetical order when they were downloaded which they stated may have been the reason they ended up reversing the scoring and feedback on the judging sheet. Because of this, your story "'I'll Keep You Safe and Happy" went from 14th place in the group up to 7th place. We have updated the group listing to reflect your story among the honorable mentions now.

We apologize again for the mixup and for any confusion. This is something we are trying to avoid in the future and are hoping to have a new judging system in place by the end of the year which will allow judges to read, comment, and score submissions on one screen which we hope will minimize any potential errors. We would also like to offer you free entry to a future competition for the mistake to show that we value your participation and truly are sorry for the mixup.
Ramsey View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ramsey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2016 at 3:55am
Firstly congratulations on the Honourable Mention! I thought it deserved at least that placement...

I would like to say though -  although it makes us feel a bit uneasy of how these are organised, alongside our confidence with NYCM judges -  they came forward apologised and amended the scoring. They could have brushed it away and just said - actually no change.
Mistakes happen - I hope you will continue to enter for sure.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>