NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Questions & Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"Beta Readers" allowed? Really?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lockwood5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Beta Readers" allowed? Really?
    Posted: 21 Jan 2016 at 1:22pm
This is my first year in the Short Story Challenge, so I'm pretty green on how things go. I read the contest rules before registering, and up until joining this forum, I assumed that the only person allowed to work on the short stories before submission is the writer. Then, I logged into the "SHARE SOME GOOD ADVICE FOR SSC2016!" thread in the "Creative Writing Corner" and I am seeing people talking about "beta readers." (I've always just called them critiquers, reviewers or editors, but anyway...)

Are other people allowed to read and provide contestant writers with constructive criticism for the purposes of revising their stories prior to contest submission?

I reviewed the contest rules a second time, and realized they don't seem to say anything about this, one way or the other.

If the answer is yes, I have two further questions.

Would it be within the rules for such a reviewer to provide grammar and spelling corrections in addition to recommendations about verbiage, story arc, etc.?

Is using an online critique community such as Scribophile.com considered an acceptable way to find "beta readers" for this competition?

Thank you for your time clearing up my newbie confusion.

Cheers/Thanks,
-Juliet
NYC Midnight View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote NYC Midnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2016 at 10:09pm
Hi Juliet,
Since we allow teams of writers to participate on one entry, than it is acceptable to have others critique and review your work prior to submitting.  As long as the story is original, produced completely within the time frame of the competition, and follows the assigned elements, then it is fine to send out your story for critique wherever you like and implement changes based on that critique.

We hope this helps, good luck!
--
Next up is the 100-word Microfiction Challenge 2024 kicking off April 19th
lockwood5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lockwood5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2016 at 1:55pm
Wow, thanks for the info. Can't wait to get started :-D
WriterByNight View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WriterByNight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2016 at 3:31pm
Three cheers for beta readers! 
FFC Final| Beyond the Veil
Micro R1 | How Could You?
 Post Reply Post Reply