NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Challenge #3 - Title & Synopsis

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plkphoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2015 at 9:57pm
Originally posted by Lookit There Lookit There wrote:

Originally posted by BPM BPM wrote:

Title: Posing
Synopsis: A father grieves at a Vintage Clothing Store.

Group 8: Comedy, Aluminum foil, Vintage Clothing Store.

I don't feel great about this one.  It's a good story, but comedy is hard.  I used to have a friend who wrote for sitcoms.  She used to say that it's easier to wake up and find a boyfriend (she was single) than it is to wake up and be funny on command.  I now understand her position more clearly!

"Funny on Command" is now officially the synopsis of a horror story. Because I can't recall the last time I was so scared!
I like to think I'm funny in real life, but to sit down in front of the computer and tell myself, "Be funny. NOW!" was terrifying.
This story sounds promising. Can't wait to read what my fellow 8s came up with. Mine is decidedly not great.

YES!!! I completely agree! Funny on command is hard enough… but also "be funny in a way that some random judge that you don't know will think it is funny" is even worse. Even if you know how to make your friends laugh - it's really hard to be universally funny. Even comedians know their audience to some extent… 

And I can't wait to see what you all came up with either… glad there seem to be a good number of Group 8ers on the forums. Only three from my last group (including myself) posted in the forums. Smile Thumbs Up
FFC 2018

Ch1 Gr62 -- The Other Side of the Coin (Thriller)
plkphoto View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote plkphoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2015 at 9:59pm
Originally posted by salgal80 salgal80 wrote:

Dang.  I could have put you in a tunnel with a laptop and a stopwatch for the deadline and group 3: done!  LOL!

StarStarStarStarStar

Five stars for this comment! Sounds like a horror story to me!
FFC 2018

nixie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2015 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by plkphoto plkphoto wrote:

YES!!! I completely agree! Funny on command is hard enough… but also "be funny in a way that some random judge that you don't know will think it is funny" is even worse. Even if you know how to make your friends laugh - it's really hard to be universally funny. Even comedians know their audience to some extent… 

Um - isn't this kinda the essence of writing fiction for publication....?

plkphoto View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plkphoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2015 at 10:11pm
Originally posted by nixie nixie wrote:

Originally posted by plkphoto plkphoto wrote:

Um - isn't this kinda the essence of writing fiction for publication....?

Not really - you send your fiction to journals or publishers that know the genre that you write in… and you know your audience. NYC Midnight is random judges assigned to judge stories written to random prompts, and writers assigned to genres they may or may not usually write in.

If I wanted to publish my comedy (HA!), I'd look for a journal that specialized in that sort of story. The people that bought the journal would know the types of story they publish and be the right audience for your story - otherwise it wouldn't be chosen.

You generally have some idea of your audience when you publish. If you're really lucky, then people outside of your intended audience will also enjoy what you've written.

I don't generally write comedy. I don't generally read comedy either. So… let's just say I googled as many "how to write comedy" essays as I did "vintage clothing store" images… probably even more "how to's" actually.
FFC 2018

Davenader View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davenader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2015 at 10:35pm
Sorry off topic, but following the conversation,

I'm quite interested in writing comedy/comical stories going forward. I'm slowly trying to collect advice on how to write funny. If anyone has good links would love to exchange.

Davenader@yahoo.com

Edited by Davenader - 26 Oct 2015 at 10:36pm

I tweet here @davenader1
I blog here http://www.davidtmyers.com/
plkphoto View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote plkphoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2015 at 11:14pm
Originally posted by Davenader Davenader wrote:

I'm quite interested in writing comedy/comical stories going forward. I'm slowly trying to collect advice on how to write funny. If anyone has good links would love to exchange.

*Takes a journey through her Saturday browser history*

I'm going to post these here as they might be helpful to others as well. These are the articles I found most useful -- I guess we'll find out later whether reading them worked or not 

Big smile

FFC 2018

lizsmith5499 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lizsmith5499 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2015 at 11:33pm
I'm group 4, too...and my MC is also named BURKE! funny :)
LyndaD View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LyndaD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2015 at 11:35pm
Group 2:  Drama, dermatology office, beer bottle

The Mark

The port-wine stain birthmark on Sarah’s face has colored her whole life.  When she takes her infant daughter to a dermatologist to have her own birthmark evaluated for treatment, a couple of paintings help her reconsider whether the birthmark itself – or her perception of it – has had the most impact.

It took me almost as long to write the synopsis as it did the actual storyShocked
Maximum Dynamite View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Maximum Dynamite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2015 at 12:11am
Group 2, drama, dermatology office, beer bottle

Repercussions of the Anodyne Life

Lies and inaction borne of fear slowly, inexorably destroy the lives of a young doctor and all those around him.

This one...not sure I even want to share this one. So many problems. Another sh*tty, rushed ending. I do this to myself every time! Self saboteur. Aye-yi-yi.
WriterByNight View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WriterByNight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2015 at 12:22am
Originally posted by Davenader Davenader wrote:

Davenader@yahoo.com

My sister is a comedian. She started with improv classes and then joined a comedy troupe (UCB). You can find classes all over. I think improv would be a great way to test the comedy waters. If you can do that in front of people, you can write it (because you already know how to write well). She also does stand up --- but that's a totally different bird.

Edited by WriterByNight - 27 Oct 2015 at 12:24am
FFC Final| Beyond the Veil
Micro R1 | How Could You?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011>