NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Phobia

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lynne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 5:34pm
Isn't it the defining characteristic of a writer to secretly love and hate their work at the same time ? The forums are a great reality check but bottom line you'll learn that many times you won't agree when people love your work or hate it. Ultimately it is about your voice good or bad.

The forums are generally very kind, especially if you mention that you are new. When you are ready to share your work, we'll be there.

I think you'll find that just the act of sharing is a vote of confidence in who you are. Everyone has to start somewhere.

Good luck
JuliKobayashi View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JuliKobayashi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 11:00pm
Hey Nikki,

I'm probably repeating what everyone else said but in case it helps, when I first did this competition in 2016, I was too scared to post too, even though the friend that encouraged me to do this said the forums were the best part. I was shocked to place first in my heat then and I still was too scared to post! 

I got over that when I joined the next one. I've had very varying degrees of success across different competitions, but my experience overall has been 100% positive. As others have said, I have gotten so much out of the wonderful community in this forums. I smile when I see usernames I recognize as forum buddies. Even though I don't do every single competition, I'm warmly greeted or welcomed back. I also make sure to dedicate the time to give thoughtful feedback - and just like someone else said, that is just as, if not more valuable than receiving feedback for your own story to give constructive and meaningful criticism.  A perk is you'll be really inspired (more than intimidated) by the talent here.

I've found that the vast majority of comments are helpful. There are, of course, a few that may seem gruff or overly critical, but learning to not get caught up in unhelpful comments is just as useful in my book - and they are pretty few and far between here, and I usually request no-holds-barred feedback at this point!  For the most part, when folks critique me I find it to be useful, or that I agree. Lots of smarties here!

As someone else already suggested, it's a great idea to say you're new and so please be gentle when you post, and all the regulars will definitely take care of you!

Glad you posted this question, when you feel ready, either this round or maybe the next one, I do hope you'll try participating. I'm sure you will have a good experience!

Juli
Rebecca C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebecca C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 4:54am

This is me, minus the second time. Haha this is my first time entering. I'm glad i read this though because your sentiments plus the responses are exactly how I've felt. I will definitely take advantage of the forum and try to engage with the writing community more. Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123