NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Participation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote justmel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2017 at 12:23pm
I agree with Stephen.  Also, not all of the stories were necessarily listed in Suave's list (not through any failing on his part!), and I was sad that mine was the only one in my group until I started scrolling through the forum itself and found two more.  I gave their info to Suave to add to the Master List, but I don't think those two got much feedback.  There are still nine "only children" in the ML, and I can't help wondering if some of those might have a sibling or two that they just don't know about.

Edited by justmel - 11 Mar 2017 at 5:57am
Sponsored Links
The #1 Writing Tool

nixie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2017 at 10:27pm
Originally posted by justmel justmel wrote:

I agree with Stephen.  Also, not all of the stories were necessarily listed in Sauve's list (not though any failing on his part!), and I was sad that mine was the only one in my group until I started scrolling through the forum itself and found two more.  I gave their info to Suave to add to the Master List, but I don't think those two got much feedback.  There are still nine "only children" in the ML, and I can't help wondering if some of those might have a sibling or two that they just don't know about.

Just illustrates how easy it is for stories to get 'lost' in the forums - which is why it is so helpful, when trying to maintain a master list during a period of furious activity, that the forumites come together to point out anyone who forgot (or didn't know) to share their info on the ML post to get added.

Also shows why the ML is such a neat invention - much easier to look for stuff.  

And yes - I am just sticking my Nixie nose in long enough to publicly pat Suave on the back for taking on the immense task of MLing the SSC.  It's a big job - but once it gets established, it makes it *so* much easier to ensure that stories don't get "lost in the forum" and missed!  

Josh View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 8:00pm
I was actively reviewing. I stopped. Real life happened. But I would have been more apt to return to this forum when I had some spare time if people gave more than a few lines of "wow this is good - nice work" speak. It makes me feel as though I am overly critical when I leave feedback speaking to what works and what doesn't.  Last thing I want at this point is to people to see me as a rude arrogant jerk. 
R1 Ch2 Gr56 Bikini Rosa Dares
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by Josh Josh wrote:

I was actively reviewing. I stopped. Real life happened. But I would have been more apt to return to this forum when I had some spare time if people gave more than a few lines of "wow this is good - nice work" speak. It makes me feel as though I am overly critical when I leave feedback speaking to what works and what doesn't.  Last thing I want at this point is to people to see me as a rude arrogant jerk. 

Ya, in previous contests I left real feedback in a couple of cases and in return was slammed.
Round 1 story G73 horror THE BOOK
sootfoot5 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sootfoot5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 11:56pm
The first NYC comp I did was the short screenplay in 2008. I mostly have stuck with flash and SSC since then. One year there was no flash. I did every flash since '08 otherwise. I have missed one or two-I forget-SSC.

I agree with Milesmum-the comps used to be a lot different. Many of the people who really led in regard to teaching the newbies how to do things have long been gone. Some of us have tried to help show the new ones how to review, how to post their stories, and more, but we have our own issues. Some are working a lot of hours. Some are spending their free moments trying for publication. As for myself, my health has become increasingly poorer each year. Does this mean we don't care? No. But it has also become more and more frustrating each year as even more people post their stories where they aren't supposed to-in the discussion forum instead of the story forum - as if to say, "I'm so important I don't have to follow let alone read the instructions!"

I do not mean to chastise any one person. People have been doing this for the past several years. I didn't post this year because I knew my health problems were worse this year and I didn't want anyone reviewing my story if I couldn't return the favor. I did offer it to a couple of people in my group just so they could see it, not to review it. I figured that was fair since I had access to theirs. But I will admit to flitting in and out of the forum and rolling my eyes at questions posted when the answer was in the confirmation email or the rules. No writer ever goes anywhere if they don't also read.

I used to spend a lot of time reviewing stories, and I applaud Stephen for doing so. I have many times told other writers that the first thing to do to improve their writing is to do written reviews, the more indepth the better. Why? When you identify flaws in someone else' work, you will learn not to make that same mistake. When you see overwritten prose, you understand what not to do. I have suddenly had a memory so many times when I've been writing a story with a memory of a "bad" story I once read and reviewed. And once I identified with it, I knew to STOP. DONT DO THAT! DONT WRITE THIS WAY!

I don't recall how long Stephen has been a part of this gang, but not as long as I have, I think. In any event, I do believe that he has certainly improved as a writer over these past several years. And that is because he has done so many reviews. I hope some of the people who have not been reviewing stories this time will read this and take it as encouragement that maybe, just maybe, reviewing stories is something that they should do for their own sake and not for the sake of the person who story they are reviewing.

I read through all the comments prior to mine, and I do want to say that everyone made valid points. And yes, this used to be a much smaller competition. With that, we all had a much greater chance of winning. Now, it is my belief anyway, that people are entering a more professional writers. Those are the kind of people who now or more likely to win and who are not going to give them selves to this competition and help anyone by doing any reviews. I am not saying that being a professional writer is a bad thing! No no no!!!    But when it comes to this competition, which in my opinion was started to help writers who are not professionals, it just seems to me that we should be trying to help one another. I apologize for not being so helpful this time. I am sorry but it's not something I was able to do.

Remember, it is up to all of us to make this comp the way we want it, but most of all the new people. Us old guard, well, it is time some of us moved on.

I wish everyone the best of luck on Tuesday. Leslie /sootfoot5 sometimes dictated and not read it all so there could be some errors in this ha ha Ha

Edited by sootfoot5 - 17 Mar 2017 at 12:06am
Scarlet Screenwriter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarlet Screenwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 1:19am
Originally posted by milesmum milesmum wrote:

This is just an observation, but I've been participating here since 2008, and I have never seen forum participation dry up so fast. Ironically, I think it's the sheer number of people participating that has overwhelmed people. I know it did that to me.
Maybe, since they have obviously decided not to cap their growth, NYCM might create separate forums for each heat? Not that I think what one reads and comments on should be restricted, but it might help keep the forum alive.  I feel like (much like my country) the forum as I knew it is dying.

You've been here so long, you'll have to become Mile's GRANDmum! 

Old Scarlet the Harlot ... (2010)

michelecacano View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michelecacano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 2:00am
Originally posted by nixie nixie wrote:

based on those numbers - what's the possibility that activity is actually *up* - but the increase in number of entries spreads it out across more individual posts, so it *looks thinner?

4026 posts from round one this year
4986 posts for the entire event last year

So - to be 'the same,' we'd need to have only 960 posts for the entire rest of the event.  

Seems like there may be *more activity - it just *looks different because of the number of folks present...?

This makes so much sense.

I will speak for myself - I find it a challenge to find time/motivation to post my story online somewhere and make a post with a link... Haven't done that this year.

I also have been randomly searching the forum for stories in my heat, and have found none! I've skimmed a few stories along the way, but really haven't made time to delve deeply.

Also, still reeling from election blues,and much of my energy goes to working and calling senators and representatives, and keeping up on the sheet volume of information related to the Resistance.

Edited by michelecacano - 17 Mar 2017 at 2:01am
ottersdaughter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ottersdaughter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 3:23am
Originally posted by Suave Suave wrote:

Ya, in previous contests I left real feedback in a couple of cases and in return was slammed.

I make it a point to leave feedback for people whose feedback style is what I want to receive. I rarely leave all positive or all negative reviews, and I try to always suggest a possible improvement or ask a question that might help the author to see their story in a new light. I haven't had any trouble with people being touchy.

My advice (unasked for as it is), is to read the feedback on a set of stories. Then go read and review work from the people who left the kind of feedback you'd appreciate getting.
FFC 2017 CH2 - Finding Fault

2016 FFC & ShSc Finalist
stephenmatlock View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenmatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 10:35am
Originally posted by sootfoot5 sootfoot5 wrote:

The first NYC comp I did was the short screenplay in 2008. I mostly have stuck with flash and SSC since then. One year there was no flash. I did every flash since '08 otherwise. I have missed one or two-I forget-SSC.

I agree with Milesmum-the comps used to be a lot different. Many of the people who really led in regard to teaching the newbies how to do things have long been gone. Some of us have tried to help show the new ones how to review, how to post their stories, and more, but we have our own issues. Some are working a lot of hours. Some are spending their free moments trying for publication. As for myself, my health has become increasingly poorer each year. Does this mean we don't care? No. But it has also become more and more frustrating each year as even more people post their stories where they aren't supposed to-in the discussion forum instead of the story forum - as if to say, "I'm so important I don't have to follow let alone read the instructions!"

I do not mean to chastise any one person. People have been doing this for the past several years. I didn't post this year because I knew my health problems were worse this year and I didn't want anyone reviewing my story if I couldn't return the favor. I did offer it to a couple of people in my group just so they could see it, not to review it. I figured that was fair since I had access to theirs. But I will admit to flitting in and out of the forum and rolling my eyes at questions posted when the answer was in the confirmation email or the rules. No writer ever goes anywhere if they don't also read.

I used to spend a lot of time reviewing stories, and I applaud Stephen for doing so. I have many times told other writers that the first thing to do to improve their writing is to do written reviews, the more indepth the better. Why? When you identify flaws in someone else' work, you will learn not to make that same mistake. When you see overwritten prose, you understand what not to do. I have suddenly had a memory so many times when I've been writing a story with a memory of a "bad" story I once read and reviewed. And once I identified with it, I knew to STOP. DONT DO THAT! DONT WRITE THIS WAY!

I don't recall how long Stephen has been a part of this gang, but not as long as I have, I think. In any event, I do believe that he has certainly improved as a writer over these past several years. And that is because he has done so many reviews. I hope some of the people who have not been reviewing stories this time will read this and take it as encouragement that maybe, just maybe, reviewing stories is something that they should do for their own sake and not for the sake of the person who story they are reviewing.

I read through all the comments prior to mine, and I do want to say that everyone made valid points. And yes, this used to be a much smaller competition. With that, we all had a much greater chance of winning. Now, it is my belief anyway, that people are entering a more professional writers. Those are the kind of people who now or more likely to win and who are not going to give them selves to this competition and help anyone by doing any reviews. I am not saying that being a professional writer is a bad thing! No no no!!!    But when it comes to this competition, which in my opinion was started to help writers who are not professionals, it just seems to me that we should be trying to help one another. I apologize for not being so helpful this time. I am sorry but it's not something I was able to do.

Remember, it is up to all of us to make this comp the way we want it, but most of all the new people. Us old guard, well, it is time some of us moved on.

I wish everyone the best of luck on Tuesday. Leslie /sootfoot5 sometimes dictated and not read it all so there could be some errors in this ha ha Ha

Wow, sootfoot5, that was a long reply, and full of insight! Thanks for sharing.

I am one of the people who indeed does get a lot out of the forums, both by posting my stories to be reviewed, and reviewing the stories of others. I do it for selfish reasons, like you say--it makes me a better writer!--and for altruistic reasons, because I do believe in doing good when you can do good, and one of the ways I can do that is to help others up the ladder I'm on. (Most times they are above me so I'm just pushing them higher, of course!)

Your comments about my improved writing are quite helpful and appreciated. I have worked to make my writing crisper and more active, and comments from people like you have helped me do so.

Not everyone knows the value of the forums, and not everyone knows how to provide feedback, but I would say that most people, when they read a story, can indeed say more than "I liked it." It is always helpful to me to hear what they liked, or how they were moved.

I believe that since the earliest times humanity has attempted to connect with each other through stories, and those stories have been told with words, spoken or written, or with other media, including paint and dance and music and sculpture. The Caves of Lascaux (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lascaux) are an example of this, and even the handprints left on the walls of deep caves (likely left by teenagers goofing off in the Stone Age!) tell us about our progenitors--they wanted to tell each other things, and they used the arts to do so.

So these stories I read I treat as the authors telling me something, and something about themselves. I want to treat their work fairly but as carefully, as their own paintings in the dark that they hope someone someone else will see them and react, with awe or horror or astonishment or pleasure or fear or contentment.

I'd encourage every writer to read the stories and comment on them, not just to improve, but to connect.
Bookworm33 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bookworm33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 11:31am

This was one of the reasons I was very hesitant to post my story. During the FFC when I would read a piece that had, for example, an abundance of grammatical errors or obvious plot holes, most of the comments from reviewers would be along the lines of "I loved this! You've done such a great job!"
I wasn't sure if any of the feedback would be critical enough to help me. Fortunately, I've received some really good comments on my story.

I don't know if reviewers just don't want to upset anyone or hurt anyone's feelings, or if they just look over mistakes and inconsistencies if they like the overall content of a story. On some pieces I've reviewed this time around, things I found confusing or awkwardly written were praised by everyone else as the best elements of the stories. I'm almost beginning to question my own judgment as a writer after seeing comment after comment of "This is wonderful!" surrounding my own critiques.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic