NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Favorites?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LoriN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Forum Favorites?
    Posted: 22 Oct 2021 at 5:09pm
I've read some fantastic stories on this forum since I joined up with these competitions in May.

I have many favorites, but the two that first came to my mind were "Lord Fluffiington Eternally" and "She Looks So Much Like Sophie." Both were from 100 Microfiction.

Fave titles of yours? 
Lori
GaleGirl View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaleGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2021 at 7:44am
Hi, Lorin,

I just wanted to say I love the forums. Some of my favorite stories so far in the Flash Fiction Contest include "The Juiciest Grapes" by Zachary Dillon, FFRound1, which allowed me also to form a "forum friendship" with Zachary, who is a very thoughtful reviewer as well as gifted writer.

I also loved Genie Jordan's Pol Sat "Whites, Colors and Darks", also from the first FF round. Hilarious.

I think I like to be humored and terrorized equally.

And I can't remember a competition where my heatmates have been so supportive and generous with their reviews.

I wish more entrants would post their pieces in their forums. But I applaud those willing to put their work out there for scrutiny.

Gale

LadyArkham View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyArkham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2021 at 11:30am
There was a suspense/thriller from a couple years ago about smart devices and a dad who gets his small toddler daughter a smart device to help her sleep at night, and then it keeps turning green and waking her up in the middle of the night, and I need to find it again because I think about it a lot.
Nimhathuna View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nimhathuna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2021 at 11:44am

Hard to say. Each story I've read has unique selling points. As such, I don't have any favourites. Given the genre sweeps and the prompts, it isn't easy to pinpoint any that stand out. As a reader/writer, it depends on what I feel when I read, and with so many diverse writers, styles, and techniques, I'd be hard-pressed to choose one or a select few. Smile

fronny View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fronny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2021 at 9:03am
The Haunting of Annabelle Crane by Skatche is truly beautiful and poignant. A clear favourite for me.
Sensory Projection
Read my challenge #2 story titled The Liberation of Carlotta Sosa

Popsicle Crows View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Popsicle Crows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2021 at 12:43am
I have three that I can't get out of my head for different reasons.

Leaving Shaktoolik by Sarah Beaudette 2016 SS winner (current forum member?)

177 Seconds by by Trey Dowell 2017 FF winner (current forum member?)
Those two can be read in the winning stories page at NYC's link to Short Story and Flash Fiction.

Purgatory by forum member Janetinputney - Parts of this story have become common household phrases, lol. I just read it again and it's even better the 18th time.
It's in the running for the current short screenplay competition and if I was the judge, it would win the category hands down. I want to see it made and be seen at film festivals.

Janetinputney View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Janetinputney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by Popsicle Crows Popsicle Crows wrote:

Leaving Shaktoolik by Sarah Beaudette 2016 SS winner (current forum member?)

Those two can be read in the winning stories page at NYC's link to Short Story and Flash Fiction.

Purgatory by forum member Janetinputney - Parts of this story have become common household phrases, lol. I just read it again and it's even better the 18th time.
It's in the running for the current short screenplay competition and if I was the judge, it would win the category hands down. I want to see it made and be seen at film festivals.

Aw. That’s very kind of you!!!  Thanks so much.  
td333777 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote td333777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 12:05am

Well, thank you!  I’m glad one of my stories stuck with you for so long!! :)

Trey
FF '17 - 1st, SSC '18 - 2nd, FF '20 - 7th
Popsicle Crows View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Popsicle Crows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by td333777 td333777 wrote:

Well, thank you!  I’m glad one of my stories stuck with you for so long!! :)

Trey

Yay! Hi Trey, I'm glad you saw this. Now I can say thanks. I love that story. I'm glad you're still on NYCM Smile 
I read your story over the phone to 4 different people too. It's traveled more than 5 thousand miles over phone lines - both east and west, lol. Exactly what people needed during a depressing pandemic. I have the female computer voice down to a science.

Have you submitted it anywhere? BBC radio plays?...dooo it! BBC has a submission guideline -type page strictly for radio plays along with a how-to for formatting. An actor could make you *feel* the mc sweating bullets. It's made for that medium in my humble opinion.
Let me know when it airs. LOL
Thanks again!
northernwriter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northernwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2021 at 3:31am
SO many good stories! Hard to list them all.

Comedy: “The Sodfather.” 
Sci-fi: Trey’s “177 seconds.” 
Pol-Sat: “Empress Nails” by Jennifer Gunner
Romance: I’m blanking out on the title but it’s about two teens and written by John Adams.

More to come!
Microfiction 2021: 4th place overall
Flash Fiction 2020: 8th place overall
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>