NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Favorites?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mhelgens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Forum Favorites?
    Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 8:22pm
I remember somebody posting this thread during the FF challenge and it was fun to read stories that others considered their favorites. What are some of your favorite stories you’ve read in this challenge? I’d love to read ones that people think were particularly effective or fun or beautiful or good reads for whatever reason!

And.... Go!
The Soles that Survive I will return all feedback with an honest review :)
Sponsored Links

mhelgens View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mhelgens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 8:24pm
I personally recommend “Silence” by Lucie-Bee in Heat 32!
The Soles that Survive I will return all feedback with an honest review :)
GallifreyGirl View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GallifreyGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 9:31pm
Love in the Time of Scurvy by jereellison - adorable, witty, quirky, non-saccharine rom com (also: prompt was man with a facial tattoo so ...)
SSC18
R1G3 Fathoms Deep 1st place
R2G21 All the Waters of the Earth HM (4th)
thesaura73 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thesaura73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 11:19pm
I don't know if I have a favorite, but here are two I really loved from Group 91 (sci-fi, audition, man with long fingernails):
2018 SC R1 G4 - Untold Story (Drama)
2018 SSC R1 - School for the Children of the Prisoners (HM)
Vernacula View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Vernacula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 11:36pm
So many. Some of the new folks...

Midnight Contracts in H116.

Hey, Haircut in H40.

Really too many to list, though!
manifestlynot View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manifestlynot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 1:02am
I just read "A Red Banner to Fly" by LauraVAB and it was incredible. I also adored "Love is Hell, Incorporated" by Quinn.

Edited by manifestlynot - 13 Feb 2018 at 1:11am
SC R1 H22: Waste Not
BarrieLake View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BarrieLake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 4:05am
Some of my favourites with 3 pages or less of feedback:

Grey Raven - A highly original Fairy Tale written in a strong, almost lyrical voice, spun from difficult prompts.
Codependents Anonymous - My favourite Rom Com of the few I've read so far. Very entertaining characters.
The Mapmaker and the Widow -  A murder mystery set in Victorian-era England. The writer took the risk of giving his detective a very unlikable trait, and it pays off so well.
Actions, Not Words - A must-read from last year's Flash Fiction winner.
2018 Short Story, Round 1, Heat 116: Midnight Contracts
Mumser View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mumser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 11:48pm

Lonesome Road, Heat 72: A fleeing criminal meets a ten-year-old bookworm in a backstreet London bookshop

The scene with the fugitive in the bookshop is beautifully written and has stuck with me.

I see there are only a couple of reviews for this story - definitely worth your time! Just yesterday I did a little review and found that I've critiqued over 30 stories, as well as noting that this one is my fave. So thanks for setting up the comment thread.

Edited by Mumser - 14 Feb 2018 at 12:45am
2nd Round - The Cassowaries
1st Round - The Invasion - 1st Place
Lookit There View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lookit There Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 12:02am
Currently in love with (and super jealous of) Urban Asset (group 48) and Valentina (group 6). Haven't read a ton, but so far I'm really impressed by what's out there.
Kali42 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kali42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 12:26am
I beta read "Family Men" by Reasonably_Crazy and absolutely loved it. I haven't stopped thinking about it, it was so good. And re-reading her final version made me love it even more. 
R1
R2 H20 Bake Off
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic