NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - for people with time on their hands: stats
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

for people with time on their hands: stats

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message
JeffreyHowe View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict
Avatar

Joined: 02 May 2017
Location: Missouri
Status: Offline
Points: 1412
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote JeffreyHowe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: for people with time on their hands: stats
    Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 10:26am
PART ONE

First: trivia. The lowest possible advancing total score for round one is 15. The highest possible non-advancing total score is 25 (a six way tie, with the person going 13/12 losing out). 

1128 entries
200 advanced

The "I know what I did wrong" award: one entrant with a zero in round one got a fifteen in round two.
The "It was this weekend?" award: two entrants had 15s in round one and zeroes in round two
The "Coast and boast" award: two entrants had 15s in round one, dropped to 2s in round two, and advanced.
The "At the wire" award: one entrant had a 2 in round one, a 14 in round two, and advanced (one of two 16s to advance)

Advancing entrants:
Average round one score 11.59
Average round two score 11.53
Median score for both rounds 12 (yay for rounding)
Average total 23.11 (yay for rounding error)



SSC2018:
CH1 G25 Noble Rot-15 pts
CH2 Cultivar-14 pts
CH3 G2 Unbalanced Diet
Back to Top
Sponsored Links


Back to Top
weebil View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie


Joined: 05 Feb 2011
Status: Offline
Points: 137
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weebil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 10:33am
I also noticed that a lot of the top finishers did very well in both rounds, which would imply a solid non-bias in regard to recognizing successful writing skills.
I, on the other hand, got a 3, and then a 11, and I actually thought the first script was stronger-but maybe it was just the concept. I didn't really like my second script.
Sigh. I'm out, but always happy to be creating. 

(a 11? an 11? so much to know)

See ya next time!


Edited by weebil - 10 Jan 2019 at 10:37am
Back to Top
lisafox10800 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt
Avatar

Joined: 18 Jul 2016
Location: NJ
Status: Offline
Points: 6082
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisafox10800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 11:04am
The other interesting thing is that there were a LOT of Round 2 drop offs across groups. If you look at the scoring, some groups had no one score a 1, 2, or even a 3 in some cases. Implying there were not enough participants to pick up these scores. If you cross reference to Round 1, in most cases it was those who did not score points in Round 1 who dropped off in Round 2.

I understand life happens and all of that and sometimes the time you think you have for this disappears with other commitments, but having run the gamut on scoring from 0 points through 15 and everything in between, if you get a zero in round one that should light a fire to come back roaring in the second challenge. (My first 15 pointer came on the heels of a round one goose-egg. I missed out on advancing by three points, but boy did I feel at least a little bit vindicated).

Anyway. Just something I observed looking at the scoring last night.


Back to Top
Snarkmaiden View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict
Avatar

Joined: 07 May 2017
Location: Kent, UK
Status: Offline
Points: 710
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snarkmaiden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 11:12am
Originally posted by lisafox10800 lisafox10800 wrote:

The other interesting thing is that there were a LOT of Round 2 drop offs across groups. If you look at the scoring, some groups had no one score a 1, 2, or even a 3 in some cases. Implying there were not enough participants to pick up these scores. If you cross reference to Round 1, in most cases it was those who did not score points in Round 1 who dropped off in Round 2.

I understand life happens and all of that and sometimes the time you think you have for this disappears with other commitments, but having run the gamut on scoring from 0 points through 15 and everything in between, if you get a zero in round one that should light a fire to come back roaring in the second challenge. (My first 15 pointer came on the heels of a round one goose-egg. I missed out on advancing by three points, but boy did I feel at least a little bit vindicated).

Anyway. Just something I observed looking at the scoring last night.



I noticed that too, and that would mean that in some groups only 12 or 13 people were actually competing for the marks - which would explain why a lot of people scored highly in both rounds. Fewer competitors, and the high-scoring first round writers predominantly the ones staying on. If the full spread of ~30 writers did both rounds I think the overall scores would be lower, because demonstrably a good writer can have a bad judge (or a bad day) and get a 0, and then come back with a 15 the next time.
ShSC CH2: Songland (thriller)
ShSC CH1: This Little Piggy (sci fi)

Back to Top
JeffreyHowe View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict
Avatar

Joined: 02 May 2017
Location: Missouri
Status: Offline
Points: 1412
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeffreyHowe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 11:13am
Originally posted by lisafox10800 lisafox10800 wrote:

If you look at the scoring, some groups had no one score a 1, 2, or even a 3 in some cases. Implying there were not enough participants to pick up these scores. 

Good eye! And if memory serves, last year someone did what you did with the 0/15 and actually advanced, so it's always worth a shot, IMHO.
SSC2018:
CH1 G25 Noble Rot-15 pts
CH2 Cultivar-14 pts
CH3 G2 Unbalanced Diet
Back to Top
JeffreyHowe View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict
Avatar

Joined: 02 May 2017
Location: Missouri
Status: Offline
Points: 1412
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeffreyHowe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 11:21am
Originally posted by Snarkmaiden Snarkmaiden wrote:

I noticed that too, and that would mean that in some groups only 12 or 13 people were actually competing for the marks - which would explain why a lot of people scored highly in both rounds. Fewer competitors, and the high-scoring first round writers predominantly the ones staying on. If the full spread of ~30 writers did both rounds I think the overall scores would be lower, because demonstrably a good writer can have a bad judge (or a bad day) and get a 0, and then come back with a 15 the next time.

Although as Weebil noted above, it does seem as if a lot of people who advanced did well both times. Interesting if both hypotheses are true. Let me crunch some numbers...
SSC2018:
CH1 G25 Noble Rot-15 pts
CH2 Cultivar-14 pts
CH3 G2 Unbalanced Diet
Back to Top
Tim G View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt
Avatar

Joined: 02 Nov 2016
Location: London
Status: Offline
Points: 3132
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 11:43am
Intriguing! Thanks for the mindfood Jeffrey and Lisa!
CH2 Short Screenplay: Exit Means Exit (Political Satire)
Back to Top
beckyrcollins View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict
Avatar

Joined: 21 Apr 2018
Location: London
Status: Online
Points: 746
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beckyrcollins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 11:50am
I just feel bad for the carnage that is group 39. Three scorers with 17, only one went through -- even though their point distribution matched one of the other contestant's, 2-15, 15-2. Ouch.
SSC CH3 Ammunition (Sci-Fi)
FF CH4 The Monitor (spy/thriller)
Back to Top
JeffreyHowe View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict
Avatar

Joined: 02 May 2017
Location: Missouri
Status: Offline
Points: 1412
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeffreyHowe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 12:15pm
I can't post the chart, but the numbers for variability suggest advancing writers are on the whole less subject to large swings in scores.  First column is the magnitude (with +/- disregarded) of the change between rounds, the second and third columns are the percentage of writers with that magnitude of change.  57.5% of advancing writers had a change of 3 or less; only 39.6% of non-advancing writers did. Conversely, only 6.5% of advancing writers had a "swing" of 10 or more points between rounds, while 16.9% of non-advancing writers did.

I omitted all total scores of zero. Of the remainder, 200 writers advanced, 508 did not.

As to people dropping out boosting the second round scores--certainly the groups in round two where fewer than fifteen people came back are going to bump up averages a point or two. And it's possible, though not extremely likely, that one or two of the groups where 16s or 17s made the cut might have had a couple of people different people advancing, especially given the second round's primacy in tie-breaking criteria.

absolute delta did not advance advanced
0 3.74 8
1 10.83 17.5
2 12.01 17.5
3 12.99 14.5
4 10.04 8
5 7.28 9.5
6 9.45 8.5
7 6.50 2.5
8 5.71 7
9 4.53 0.5
10 4.13 3.5
11 3.54 1.5
12 2.95 0.5
13 3.74 1
14 1.97 0
15 0.59 0

SSC2018:
CH1 G25 Noble Rot-15 pts
CH2 Cultivar-14 pts
CH3 G2 Unbalanced Diet
Back to Top
BrianaNichol View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie
Avatar

Joined: 15 Oct 2018
Location: Houston
Status: Offline
Points: 148
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianaNichol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by beckyrcollins beckyrcollins wrote:

I just feel bad for the carnage that is group 39. Three scorers with 17, only one went through -- even though their point distribution matched one of the other contestant's, 2-15, 15-2. Ouch.

How did they choose the winner for that?
SSC Ch1 (Horror) 12pts
SSC Ch2 (HiFi) 11pts
SSC Ch3 Crying Tears of Soy
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd.

This page was generated in 0.047 seconds.