NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flash

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 11>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mumser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 2:51am
Originally posted by stephenmatlock stephenmatlock wrote:

Originally posted by Mumser Mumser wrote:

Originally posted by stephenmatlock stephenmatlock wrote:

I haven't signed up yet. But I should.

FF2013 was my first entry, and while I didn't make it past the first round, I got hooked. Not because of the writing (which I admit was a good push to me to get 'er done), but because of the friendships here.
Stephen, you must come! I can’t imagine this contest without you! 

I'm in.

Of course I'm editing/designing a full-length book and writing a long form essay and a short story, both due this weekend for a contest. But I finished two book reviews, finished reading five books, and completed a short form essay this last weekend. What is one more little thing?
Terrific news! I was just thinking about you last night, Stephen, haven't heard a peep for a long time. Glad to know it's because you're busy doing productive writing stuff. Can't wait to see your weekend's flash creation :)

FF2019-R1 Writing on Tenement Halls
SSC2019-R2 The Wrath of Vulcan
SSC2019-R1 The Peace Pageant

Sponsored Links

Mumser View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mumser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 2:54am
Originally posted by louciferish louciferish wrote:

Didn't see an intro thread anywhere so I guess I'll just roll in here.

Next week's flash contest will be my first writing contest ever! Looking forward to it. Clap

Welcome! And once the weekend sweat is over, please join the forum where you can post your work and read and comment on the stories fellow contestants have posted. Fun fun fun!

4myp4rk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 4myp4rk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 9:11pm
Hey, I see some intros in here so I'll say hey as well :) 

I've been looking for a writing group and this is my first ever contest... Wow! I'm so excited to read your stories and overthink everything. <3 Nice to meet you. 

Edited by 4myp4rk - 09 Jul 2019 at 9:12pm
Mumser View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mumser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 9:40pm
Originally posted by 4myp4rk 4myp4rk wrote:

Hey, I see some intros in here so I'll say hey as well :) 

I've been looking for a writing group and this is my first ever contest... Wow! I'm so excited to read your stories and overthink everything. <3 Nice to meet you. 
Welcome! 

reiale View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reiale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 10:49pm
Hiya! Back for my 2nd NYC midnight competition! I participated in flash fic 2018.  I was hoping to do the SSC this year but I was busy having a baby!  Excited for the weekend 😊
2019 CH1 G106Eye of the Beholder
Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2019 at 11:04am
Back home today after a business trip to the Midwest, which I left for a reason.  If I needed the reminder it hit me the moment I walked off the airplane.  At least I got to visit Habu 964 and read a book.  The latter is pretty normal for a business trip.

A real book, with ink on paper pages.  People look at me funny when I read those on airplanes, but I still like the feel of a book in hand as opposed to the alternative.

All set to fall on my face in Round 1, which is also normal.  Some day I'll look up the definition of "tense", because it seems to elude me.
This Sig Intentionally Blank
jennifer.quail View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jennifer.quail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2019 at 11:32pm
Me: "Okay, so I'm scheduled to work Friday and Saturday, that's fine, lots of time, oodles of time. It's just Flash." 

My e-mail: "Remember, folks who preregistered months ago and forgot, July 13th is our Summer 24-Hour Fiction Contest! Check at noon central for the prompt!"

Me: ".....well crap."
Zelda View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zelda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2019 at 11:42pm
Originally posted by jennifer.quail jennifer.quail wrote:

Me: "Okay, so I'm scheduled to work Friday and Saturday, that's fine, lots of time, oodles of time. It's just Flash." 

My e-mail: "Remember, folks who preregistered months ago and forgot, July 13th is our Summer 24-Hour Fiction Contest! Check at noon central for the prompt!"

Me: ".....well crap."

Yikes! ExclamationNukeConfused

< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_off">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_highcontrast">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_highcontrast_back">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_grayscale">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_grayscale_back">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_invert">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_invert_back">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_invert_grayscale">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_yellow_on_black">< x="0" y="0" width="99999" height="99999" id="hc_extension_yellow_on_black_back">
https://forums.nycmidnight.com/topic22675_post284862.html#284862 <--First round flash fiction
TammyB View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TammyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 10:57am
I’m in for a second year. It was a gas last time. I found out exactly what I did wrong in the first story, and of course didn’t fix it in the 2nd story. 
Although I never win any contests, it’s still a gas. You know your writing is bad when the story you wrote based on very specific criteria for a work newsletter (which I did perfectly) is denied! But who cares? I love writing, no matter how good or bad it is.
I’m ready this time.
But no sci fi! Please no sci fi! I think I could write most others. But no sci fi!
FF19CH1 A Collector’s Obsession
FF18CH1 BURIED IN LOVE
FF18CH2 DOG-GONE MICROCHIP
WRITE ON!
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 11:56am
Originally posted by TammyB TammyB wrote:

I’m in for a second year. It was a gas last time. I found out exactly what I did wrong in the first story, and of course didn’t fix it in the 2nd story. 
Although I never win any contests, it’s still a gas. You know your writing is bad when the story you wrote based on very specific criteria for a work newsletter (which I did perfectly) is denied! But who cares? I love writing, no matter how good or bad it is.
I’m ready this time.
But no sci fi! Please no sci fi! I think I could write most others. But no sci fi!

The second contest is way easier, your brain is already morphing into a prompt machine.  Have fun!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 11>
  Share Topic