NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flash this Friday - just don't give me

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Corine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2020 at 3:52am
Thanks Zelda - I will keep that in mind Big smile

rossinny View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2020 at 4:43am
Originally posted by nod1v1ng nod1v1ng wrote:

In four years of doing all the prose contests (no screenwriting for me!) I've gotten everything except the crime cluster: crime caper, spy, mystery and the romance cluster: romance and romcom. And I'll be honest, those are the ones that I'm least interested in writing. So I shouldn't complain.

I was terrified of comedy and polsat, but ended up managing them each with a HM, so it could have been worse. <shrug>

The reality is, I'm expecting to see my 11th ghost story assignment tonight. I really should put together a collection one of these days. hmmmmm....

Your run of ghost stories is quite remarkable. Mind you, your forum name is pretty much "not-living" - is this all a supremely meta story about a ghost forced to continually write ghost stories I wonder?
:-)

I've also had ghost a few times now and it surprises me how little I've enjoyed writing them. Definitely want to avoid that this weekend, along with PolSat and the insipid Drama category.

I really fancy writing a Spy story for some reason. I'd also be very happy with Fantasy or Comedy... everything else somewhere in between.  
R1 Flash The God Pod (Sci Fi)

R3 100w micro A Borderline Problem
jennifer.quail View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jennifer.quail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2020 at 10:32am
I don't mind ghost stories. Really at this rate I figure I'll get stuck with polisat because why not.
FFC 2020 Ch 1 Gr 21: Cellared
LettucePrime View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LettucePrime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2020 at 11:05am
I got comedy twice last year. I'm not that funny. Plz no more.

At first, some of the combinations I saw last year worried me. (f**kin' Political Thriller/Dog Show/House Key) Then I got Mystery/Barn/Whale and I'm pretty proud of the result so I guess I can make weird prompts work.
leslieksf View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leslieksf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2020 at 3:11pm
I was JUST thinking this this morning...Pol Sat is what I dread most. I've never gotten it in these challenges either, aaaaand now I've jinxed myself. Other things I dread are:
Drama: can do, but have gotten it about 4 times now
Romance: not my wheelhouse, but have gotten it twice
Science fiction: love watching it, can't write it, never gotten it.

Hi back!

Originally posted by Suave Suave wrote:

Just to say hi to all you writing this weekend, while stating 
emphatically that I don't want Political Satire!  Other than 
that anything will do.
Veronica_G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Veronica_G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2020 at 3:33pm
Political Satire went well for me last year. The only one I couldn't do is Horror because there are no lessons to be learned. The protagonist is doomed no matter what they do, or try not to do. 
Waking up to find yourself morphed into a beetle is no excuse to be late for work.
https://veronica-gventsadze.com/
td333777 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote td333777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2020 at 4:01pm
Eight contests on NYCM for me now.  In those eight, I've written 23 stories.  Somehow I've managed to get 14 different genres out of the 18 NYCM issues, with only a few repeats (I've gotten three separate 'thriller' prompts).  I feel awful for the people that keep getting ghost story or romantic comedy over and over and over again (nod1v1ng, looking at you.)  Only things I haven't gotten are the two comedies, horror, and political satire.  Political satire used to scare the bejeezus outta me, until I wrote one in the SSC final where you can pick a genre.  Now that I've proven to myself it can be done, meh, bring it on.  I guess that's the thing about ALL the genres.  Lots of them look daunting...then the prompts come, you suffer for a couple of days and then realize that building a compelling story is always a lot of work no matter what you get.  But you'll get through it, regardless.  AND probably have something to be proud of on the other end--a story that had not existed 48 hours prior.  It's a wonderful thing!

Trey
FFC 2020 - Ch1 G74 Fishing Expedition
SSC 2018 - 2nd place
FFC 2017 - 1st
steph9289 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steph9289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2020 at 4:15pm
I refuse to jinx myself!
Flash Fiction 2020 C1 G76 Liquid Courage (Fantasy)
Saar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2020 at 4:34pm
What do peoples writing routines for the weekend look like! 
sgspeed View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgspeed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2020 at 5:50pm
You all are brave! I refuse to say what I want or don't want.  But this did inspire me to go back through my list.

I have written 24 pieces for NYC Midnight and entered every contest since FF 2017.  I entered, but did not write for 1 Short screenplay contest.  I have received these genres - 

Historical Fiction - 3 times
Rom/Com -  1
Drama  -  2
Sci Fi -  3 times 
Poli Sci  - 2
Mystery - 4
Ghost Story - 2
Fantasy - 1 (2 if you count when I didn't write)
Crime Caper - 1
Action/Adventure - 1
Fairy Tale - 2
Comedy - 1
Spy - 1

FFC RD.1 Magic
MFCR2 Universal Truths
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
  Share Topic