NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Everything Else
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flash Fiction Summer Battle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maxbjork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flash Fiction Summer Battle
    Posted: 22 Jun 2022 at 9:06pm
Hey!

The writing competition that was born out of the NYC Midnight forums starts at the beginning of August. Join the battle today!

What is Writing Battle? Click HERE to learn more. But here's the gist...

Flash Fiction Summer Battle
Genre(s): TBD (but they're always fun)
Word count:  <1000
Prize: $5,000 CASH
Publication + Feedback
Cash Prize increases at the following thresholds:
$6,000 @ 600 Participants
$7,000 @ 700 Participants
$8,000 @ 800 Participants
Start Date: Aug 5, 2022
Fee:  $25 USD (tax included)
Contest: 
2 Days to write up to 1000 Words
Writing Battle is a creative writing competition for writers, by writers. Light on battle. Heavy on fun and friendship (but still somewhat battle-like). Receive prompts, write some flash fiction, then judge each other's stories. Win cash and get feedback from your peers. Join the battle!

Note: If you're worried about the duels interfering with rounds of NYC Midnight, we are super easy and accommodate those people. Besides the initial Duel (August 9th), we can always re-schedule with very little notice.

Alright... so what's a Duel?
  • A Duel is between two stories where a Judge reads, gives feedback, then decides which story is better. A Duel must be completed within 23 hours from the assigned start time. You are never judging stories in your own genre... therefore you're not competing with the stories you're reading.
Have you competed before? Some things have changed since the last Flash Fiction Battle back in February. The biggest changes are:
  • Everyone gets 6 Redraws and 1 Genre Draw for their prompts. There are no more coins. No more buying redraws or Genre Swaps.
  • All participant judging is best-of-five throughout the entire tournament.
Check out the Past Winners from the Battle earlier this year, read more about the Rules! Oh and after the Finalists are given to the Professional Judges (and the Duels are completed), you can share your stories on our Forums with a click-of-a-button and read/comment on each others entries.

Ask me any questions that you have! Please spread the word if you or someone you know might be interested in a competition like this. I'm biased obviously -- and the competition is by no means perfect (yet) -- but I think it's pretty fun. Thanks for reading this thread :)

Cheers,

-Max

Edited by maxbjork - 17 Jul 2022 at 7:04am
kayelizarod View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kayelizarod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2022 at 12:15pm
Sounds fun! I just registered. Thanks for sharing Big smile
BarbaraFL View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote BarbaraFL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2022 at 1:14pm
So fun, Max! Looking forward to attempting to do this and short screenplay the same weekend - with my beloved dog in decline from cancer, but I think she'll hang in at least for the weekend and I can type next to her on her bed. 
MarlynnOfMany View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MarlynnOfMany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2022 at 1:17am
Hello! I just heard about the main NYC adventure yesterday, and this one today. I'm gonna do both! Can't wait.
UK5AM View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote UK5AM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2022 at 8:40am
Not long now 🙂
FF CH1 2023 Drama Novitiate
maxbjork View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maxbjork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2022 at 5:23pm
Just seeing these messages now! A few hours to go!! Party
BarbaraFL View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BarbaraFL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2022 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by maxbjork maxbjork wrote:

Yayyyyyyyyyy thanks Max! Clap
maxbjork View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maxbjork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2022 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by BarbaraFL BarbaraFL wrote:

Originally posted by maxbjork maxbjork wrote:

Yayyyyyyyyyy thanks Max! Clap

Woohoo, Barbara! Happy writing this weekend :D
MarlynnOfMany View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarlynnOfMany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2022 at 1:25am
I have my prompts, and I am pleased! I only had to make one change to get something I like.
iress View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote iress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2022 at 1:27am
Originally posted by BarbaraFL BarbaraFL wrote:

So fun, Max! Looking forward to attempting to do this and short screenplay the same weekend - with my beloved dog in decline from cancer, but I think she'll hang in at least for the weekend and I can type next to her on her bed. 

So sorry to hear about your pup. I hope the writing and shared time together is special and healing.❤️

Good luck on two comps! 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>