NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flash Fiction results in 5 days...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AubreyZahn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2021 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by nod1v1ng nod1v1ng wrote:

I don't really think that my finals piece is going to be top ten material... I liked it, but then had a bit of feedback that really stung and shook my confidence. So I'm not really holding my breath. 

Round 1 micro results come out this week too. I wrote that piece in 20 minutes and submitted it with out betas, so I am gearing myself up for a double dose of rejection this week.

I feel ya, I really liked my final round story but I thought most of the other stories on the forum were way better, which makes sense given the caliber of writers in the final round. I agree with/appreciate what Oryx said about it not really being a rejection. Or as they say at the Oscars, it was an honor just to be nominated. Wink

Are any of y'all doing the short story contest starting on the 22nd? I wasn't originally planning to, but my best friend was interested and that persuaded me to sign up, so now I'm in for that one! These contests have been such a boon during the awful days of the pandemic.

PS - for what it's worth, I LOVED your piece.

Edited by AubreyZahn - 11 Jan 2021 at 3:31pm
Frefallr View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frefallr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2021 at 3:42pm

I don't really think that my finals piece is going to be top ten material... I liked it, but then had a bit of feedback that really stung and shook my confidence. So I'm not really holding my breath. I was surprised by this, as I loved it and don't remember reading anything terrible, so I went back to read the comments.. I didn't see anything terribly critical, to be honest. Sometimes, I have to get some distance from the criticism because I tend to only hear the negative. Often, when I go back, I find it's not as bad as I thought.

Round 1 micro results come out this week too. I wrote that piece in 20 minutes and submitted it with out betas, so I am gearing myself up for a double dose of rejection this week.
Well, I loved your micro entry. Certainly how long it takes to write is irrelevant, and yours is smart and funny. Don't think things will be as bad as you expect. I honestly can't figure out the judging. I wish they explained the points. I liked Maison D'Horloge much more than Matilde, but Mathilde scored much higher. I am honestly glad I didn't make it to the next level in the screenplay challenge. It would have just been too much. Especially because I did sign up for the SS as well. And we all have another go for sure at micro, right? Nice to have so much distraction with the world falling apart and all. I'll die if I get PolSat. Real life is just too dreadful these days.. I just don't even want to think about politics... Good luck everyone! It's true. Feel grateful just to be here.

Edited by Frefallr - 11 Jan 2021 at 3:47pm
nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2021 at 3:49pm

I don't really think that my finals piece is going to be top ten material... I liked it, but then had a bit of feedback that really stung and shook my confidence. So I'm not really holding my breath.
Originally posted by Frefallr Frefallr wrote:

I was surprised by this, so I went back to read the comments.. I didn't see anything terribly critical, to be honest. Sometimes, I have to get some distance from the criticism because I tend to only hear the negative. Often, when I go back, I find it's not as bad as I thought.

You won't find the feedback I'm referencing on the forums, as it was offered to me directly/privately. Essentially they told me that using an established mythos was lazy storytelling, that my prose was so dense that it made wading through the story a complete snoozefest, and that I didn't really deserve to be in the finals... It was pretty painful to read.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Oryx View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Oryx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2021 at 4:00pm
nod1v1ng, honestly that sounds like mean-spirited “feedback”. And mean-spirited feedback is s different thing entirely from harsh feedback, because if it’s just harsh then maybe it’s still intended to be helpful and you can find a lot of value in the rawness of the response. But sometimes people aren’t trying to help at all, sometimes they just don’t care or even want to cause pain. 

Mean-spirited just wants to cause pain. 

Edit: Furthermore, not only is it not helpful, it's actually harmful because it can give a false impression of our work.

Edited by Oryx - 11 Jan 2021 at 4:08pm
Frefallr View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frefallr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2021 at 4:09pm

I was surprised by this, so I went back to read the comments.. I didn't see anything terribly critical, to be honest. Sometimes, I have to get some distance from the criticism because I tend to only hear the negative. Often, when I go back, I find it's not as bad as I thought.

You won't find the feedback I'm referencing on the forums, as it was offered to me directly/privately. Essentially they told me that using an established mythos was lazy storytelling, that my prose was so dense that it made wading through the story a complete snoozefest, and that I didn't really deserve to be in the finals... It was pretty painful to read.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Hmm... This person does not sound like a supportive, thoughtful reader, but someone with an agenda. I hope this is not a go-to reader for you. And when you get the feedback, I hope you share it with this person, (and with us) because I am pretty sure that will not be the consensus. I love the beta system because I have found a few people who are really able to cut to the chase and seem to understand what I am writing and my style. There was one beta reader who was just brutal, and so I avoid that one completely. I would suggest you not ask this person to review your work. 
Frefallr View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frefallr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2021 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by Oryx Oryx wrote:

nod1v1ng, honestly that sounds like mean-spirited “feedback”. And mean-spirited feedback is s different thing entirely from harsh feedback, because if it’s just harsh then maybe it’s still intended to be helpful and you can find a lot of value in the rawness of the response. But sometimes people aren’t trying to help at all, sometimes they just don’t care or even want to cause pain. 

Mean-spirited just wants to cause pain. 

Edit: Furthermore, not only is it not helpful, it's actually harmful because it can give a false impression of our work.
Totally agree!
nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2021 at 4:19pm

Hmm... This person does not sound like a supportive, thoughtful reader, but someone with an agenda. I hope this is not a go-to reader for you. And when you get the feedback, I hope you share it with this person, (and with us) because I am pretty sure that will not be the consensus. I love the beta system because I have found a few people who are really able to cut to the chase and seem to understand what I am writing and my style. There was one beta reader who was just brutal, and so I avoid that one completely. I would suggest you not ask this person to review your work. 

I think intellectually it's easy to say - ok, this person is not my target audience. Or that the reader has a hurtful agenda. Some of us old timers have periodically experienced folks who want to stick it to the "big dogs" - as if the thought process is "nod's popular 'cause she's been around a while and knows everyone and is list mum and often scores well, so if I tear her down, I can become prom queen." (Believe me it's a thing. Ask Nixie all about it...)

Still, emotionally it's a blow to read that kind of feedback. It is human nature to be shaken. I have a pretty lengthy list of short story publications, and I still have raging imposter syndrome... 

Edited by nod1v1ng - 11 Jan 2021 at 4:21pm
Frefallr View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Frefallr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2021 at 4:55pm

I think intellectually it's easy to say - ok, this person is not my target audience. Or that the reader has a hurtful agenda. Some of us old timers have periodically experienced folks who want to stick it to the "big dogs" - as if the thought process is "nod's popular 'cause she's been around a while and knows everyone and is list mum and often scores well, so if I tear her down, I can become prom queen." (Believe me it's a thing. Ask Nixie all about it...) 

Still, emotionally it's a blow to read that kind of feedback. It is human nature to be shaken. I have a pretty lengthy list of short story publications, and I still have raging imposter syndrome... 

Raging Imposter Syndrome! Perfect description - and might make a nice jump off point for one of these challenges! I bet most of us struggle with that. I know i do. And of course you would be shaken. I struggle more than I even admit to myself with how to nurse my wounds without descending into abyss of self-doubt. And just so you know - when I started this competition (the first one for me), because you made the list, I searched out your piece first. And felt like it set the bar. Then I read all of the comments on your piece, and figured out who had been around, whose comments made the most sense to me, and then I read their stuff and commented- frantically waving the flag over on my island to get someone to visit. I have found, for the most part, generous, thoughtful, talented writers who want others to succeed. The Beta readers was a revelation to me, and it was fun to join in and read early versions and seriously think about ways to improve them. And I definitely put some poor readers, one in particular this last round because of the damn dream thing, through hell. I have no doubt those other tear downers lurk in the dark, eager to lend a poison pen. But I do think they are the minority. And they will always be around, ready and waiting. Sad but true. 
northernwriter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote northernwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2021 at 5:24am
2 days now, but who's counting? (Oh yeah, us. . .)
Screenplay R1 Autocorrect
Flash Fiction 2020: 8th place overall
Delilah Doe View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delilah Doe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2021 at 6:21am
Hi everyone, 

What a ride it's been since June/July when we stared this journey!

I've never entered any writing competitions, so gave it a 0.005% chance that my first story would go anywhere. After winning two rounds and making it to the final, I can honestly say that the biggest payoff from all of this has been confidence that I can actually spin a yarn.

I am sure you all feel the same... really we just want to know that someone out there "gets" our writing.

Saying that, winning cold hard cash would be awesome too Wink.

Whoever takes the top prize- the drinks will be on you! 

I'm from Ireland- so mine's a Guinness please? 

Lila Smile

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic