NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flash Fiction Beta Readers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChristiLB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flash Fiction Beta Readers
    Posted: 10 Jul 2019 at 1:15pm
Hello fellow writers - 

Some of you may already know me from my dabble in the screenwriting competition recently (Didn't make it past round 1 but it was my first ever NYCMidnight competition) but this is my first time trying flash fiction, so, hello to everyone in this group that I haven't yet met. I'm looking forward to the competition this weekend.

I was wondering if you guys do beta reading for flash fiction and if there is a spreadsheet of some sort set up somewhere? I didn't have time to use beta readers for screenwriting and really regretted it so if possible I'd love to get some feedback this go around. Thanks so much - Can't wait to get the competition going Smile

Christine
FF '19 RD2 H113 A Grandmother's Love
Sponsored Links

Malhearst View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Malhearst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2019 at 1:26pm
Hey, Christi!

I'd suggest signing up on Scribophile; a community that uses critiques as currency to post their own works. If you do, find me there. I'll see if there's general interest in making a Flash Fiction Contest Group so we can post our works and give each other support there as well.

Nora
lisafox10800 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lisafox10800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2019 at 2:06pm
Nice to see you back again! Yep, you will see a beta spreadsheet surface at some point! 😊 let the madness begin again!
ChristiLB View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChristiLB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2019 at 8:05pm
Originally posted by Malhearst Malhearst wrote:

Hey, Christi!

I'd suggest signing up on Scribophile; a community that uses critiques as currency to post their own works. If you do, find me there. I'll see if there's general interest in making a Flash Fiction Contest Group so we can post our works and give each other support there as well.

Nora

Thanks for this info Nora - Sounds like that site might be very helpful for future stories I write that may not be for a contest with this forum setup. I'm going to bookmark the site for sure.
ChristiLB View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChristiLB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2019 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by lisafox10800 lisafox10800 wrote:

Nice to see you back again! Yep, you will see a beta spreadsheet surface at some point! 😊 let the madness begin again!

Thanks Lisa - I just wasn't sure if, since it's such a quick turn-around time, writers wouldn't feel they had the time to beta read. Am I allowed to have my story beta read even if I don't submit myself to be a beta reader? At some point I'd love to get involved in beta reading as well but since it's only my second time doing this I don't feel like I can spread myself that thin currently. Also, YES...Let the fun begin...I was going crazy with 8 days to write a screenplay, can't wait to see how I do with 48 hours LOL
manifestlynot View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote manifestlynot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 1:08am
Originally posted by ChristiLB ChristiLB wrote:

Thanks Lisa - I just wasn't sure if, since it's such a quick turn-around time, writers wouldn't feel they had the time to beta read. Am I allowed to have my story beta read even if I don't submit myself to be a beta reader? At some point I'd love to get involved in beta reading as well but since it's only my second time doing this I don't feel like I can spread myself that thin currently. Also, YES...Let the fun begin...I was going crazy with 8 days to write a screenplay, can't wait to see how I do with 48 hours LOL

It’s up to the readers, but in general it’s good form to swap. Sometimes you’ll find someone who’s already submitted who is happy to read without swapping, but for a short contest like Flash it’s rare.
FFC Ch2: The Redeemable Species
Microfiction Ch1: Harvest Moon
stephenmatlock View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenmatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 10:17am
Originally posted by manifestlynot manifestlynot wrote:

It’s up to the readers, but in general it’s good form to swap. Sometimes you’ll find someone who’s already submitted who is happy to read without swapping, but for a short contest like Flash it’s rare.

Agreed - it all depends. I really don't mind beta reading w/o a swap, as I enjoy the process of discovery in the development of the story.

Feel free to contact me through the surely-to-be-posted-by-someone beta swap spreadsheet. Or you can just PM me on this forum.
SSP2019 C1 G20 | Doesn't Have the Range
ChristiLB View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChristiLB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by manifestlynot manifestlynot wrote:

Okay, thanks for the info. Good to know. I certainly wouldn't turn anyone down if they asked me - I just wasn't sure if I had to put my name on the spreadsheet in order to use it myself.
ChristiLB View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChristiLB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by stephenmatlock stephenmatlock wrote:

Agreed - it all depends. I really don't mind beta reading w/o a swap, as I enjoy the process of discovery in the development of the story. 

Feel free to contact me through the surely-to-be-posted-by-someone beta swap spreadsheet. Or you can just PM me on this forum.

Thanks so much, I really appreciate it. Will get in touch when I have my first draft fleshed out for sure.
Paula View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 1:27pm

Hello fellow writers - 

Some of you may already know me from my dabble in the screenwriting competition recently (Didn't make it past round 1 but it was my first ever NYCMidnight competition) but this is my first time trying flash fiction, so, hello to everyone in this group that I haven't yet met. I'm looking forward to the competition this weekend.

I was wondering if you guys do beta reading for flash fiction and if there is a spreadsheet of some sort set up somewhere? I didn't have time to use beta readers for screenwriting and really regretted it so if possible I'd love to get some feedback this go around. Thanks so much - Can't wait to get the competition going Smile

Christine

Hey Christine - Just realised you’re here too :-) It’s my first time doing Flash Fiction too and second in NYC Midnight. I find Flash even more challenging than Screenwriting but it’s so much fun to get the prompts and wonder what to do with them! Love the adrenaline too. Just hope I don’t get political satire or fairy tale...

Edited by Paula - 12 Jul 2019 at 1:28pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic