NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flash Challenge 2 - what genre would you like?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ramblejamble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flash Challenge 2 - what genre would you like?
    Posted: 09 Aug 2022 at 7:49pm
Not long to go until we all get to write in the second challenge. Does anyone have a genre they'd love to get this time?

I'm always hoping for one I've never had before. I'm down to: Action/Adventure, Crime Caper, Fairy Tale, Mystery or Political Satire (I think). However, there are a couple in that list that make me quite a bit nervous! 
taaaylor View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote taaaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2022 at 7:51pm
I too want to get Crime Caper, just to feel the terror personally one day LOL That or Sci-Fi! They're my last two untouched nycm genres x)
SSC R1
250 Micro R2

SSC 2021 winner
CamsynClair View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamsynClair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2022 at 7:54pm
I'm afraid to post what I actually want lest I jinx myself, but if NYCM reverse psychology works, then I'd loveee comedy, crime caper, spy, fairy tale, or hist fic LOL

I've been super lucky so far and gotten a different genre for every NYCM I've done so far!

SSC: PolSat (yes, in my first NYCM ever--it's a miracle I finished that round with an HM!)
MF100 R1: RomCom
MF100 R2: Suspense/Thriller
(Final was Open ofc, but I ended up writing a drama)
FF: Drama

I do enjoy my streak of a new genre every time and hope it continues... for the most part LOL
nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2022 at 7:57pm
The only genre I’ve not yet gotten is Crime Caper. 
I’m honestly more concerned about getting item/location prompts that aren’t too stoooopid. 
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamsynClair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2022 at 8:05pm
Originally posted by nod1v1ng nod1v1ng wrote:

I’m honestly more concerned about getting item/location prompts that aren’t too stoooopid. 

NYCM truly did the poor chairlift group dirty in R1 lol. I also hope that I'm not totally constrained by R2 prompts! I have a packed weekend so I'm bouncing general ideas in my head that could work for ALMOST every genre--watch me get the one or two that may not work...

I'd love NYCM to add Western to the mix, but that's the horse person in me speaking LOL
slinkylink View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slinkylink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2022 at 8:22pm

Political Satire. I have spent too many hours dreading it and am ready to rip the bandage off! And hopefully, there in the bleeding scab, I will discover that I like the genre! And that I have misjudged it. And, despite my efforts to avoid the terribleness of politics and anything politically adjacent, I have something relevant to say!

Also, Sci-Fi, because bee-boop!

Edited by slinkylink - 09 Aug 2022 at 8:27pm
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CamsynClair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2022 at 8:25pm
Originally posted by slinkylink slinkylink wrote:

Political Satire. I dread getting it, so I would rather rip the bandage off! And hopefully, there in the bleeding scab, I will find that I love that genre! And that I have misjudged it. And, that despite my efforts to avoid the terribleness of politics and anything politically adjacent, I have something relevant to say!

Also, Sci-Fi, because bee-boop!

PolSat isn't as scary as it seems! I had no clue for the first few days and came up with a super wacky concept that I wasn't even sure fulfilled any of the prompts (it was my first NYCM, so I had no idea how strict the judges were) and ended up with HM1! And my (super valid) critiques are that my story was incomplete, not that I failed PolSat! I have an idea if I pull PolSat again, but I'd still definitely prefer for it to be a one-and-done genre at least for now LOL
DContara View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DContara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2022 at 8:33pm
Didn't submit in R1 so going into R2 with zero stakes (and points lol) and freedom to wish and jinx: I never had hist fic, ghost, or spy, and I wouldn't mind them. Don't love spy, but curious to try.

If I get any of the "com" or "sat" or "caper", I'll see you folks next year LOL
jennifer.quail View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jennifer.quail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2022 at 8:34pm
My usual just not polisat. Though it would be nice for once in my life to actually get Historical Fiction so I don't have to turn other genres into it.
slinkylink View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slinkylink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2022 at 8:45pm
As someone who got "custard" as one of their prompts in the last round, I feel that. I think I made it work in the end, but not until I spent two hours staring at the ceiling muttering, "Custard! Custard? Hm... Custard." 

Originally posted by nod1v1ng nod1v1ng wrote:

Edited by slinkylink - 09 Aug 2022 at 8:56pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>