NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flash Challenge #2 Genres

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2019 at 1:29pm
If they’re smart, they’ve already assigned our next set of prompts, they just haven’t told us what they are yet.  Otherwise, someone could suggest the results could be fixed somehow.  This is the only spot that I know of in all of their competitions when they assign prompts to pre-existing groups.  To really ensure fairness, they have to determine both sets of prompts before the veil of anonymity gets lifted.
Blah blah blah, someone’s probably observed this already.

But the original question shouldn’t be that hard to answer if someone has the lists of prompts, from the first two rounds, from last year?  
ramblejamble View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblejamble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 5:06pm
Thanks for your responses. I admit I'm surprised that it's possible to get the exact same genre again but I guess the unpredictability makes it more fun!

td333777 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote td333777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2019 at 12:54pm
I don’t think they repeat genres in Challenge 1 & 2 for the same group.  I know in the short story contest you can definitely get the same genre twice (just ask nod1v1ng and her ghost story run), and in flash, your 3rd challenge genre could be a repeat of one of the first two (if you make it through to that round).  But I’ve never seen the first round challenges (1&2) be the same genre.  

TD
FF '17 - 1st, SSC '18 - 2nd, FF '20 - 7th
ChristiLB View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChristiLB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2019 at 2:27am
Originally posted by OnyxLily OnyxLily wrote:

Flash rounds one and two are a little different though, because we stay in the same group, right?

Wait, we're with the same group for the second challenge in September? Meaning, competing against the exact same people we were up against in round 1? Wow, I didn't know that. I thought everything changed - They assigned each person a new heat, genre, location and object. I'm completely surprised by this new info LOL. I don't mind of course, but I truly thought we'd be competing against new people. 
MF 100 Word '22 R1 G44 Good Boy
SCW '22 RD1 G29 Inseparable
Jtowery View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jtowery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2019 at 8:05am
Originally posted by ChristiLB ChristiLB wrote:

Originally posted by OnyxLily OnyxLily wrote:

Flash rounds one and two are a little different though, because we stay in the same group, right?

Wait, we're with the same group for the second challenge in September? Meaning, competing against the exact same people we were up against in round 1? Wow, I didn't know that. I thought everything changed - They assigned each person a new heat, genre, location and object. I'm completely surprised by this new info LOL. I don't mind of course, but I truly thought we'd be competing against new people. 

Yes, we compete within the same group for the first two challenges. Each participant's score is the sum of their first and second challenge points. The top five point getters in each group move on to Round 2.
ramblejamble View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblejamble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2019 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by td333777 td333777 wrote:

I don’t think they repeat genres in Challenge 1 & 2 for the same group.  I know in the short story contest you can definitely get the same genre twice (just ask nod1v1ng and her ghost story run), and in flash, your 3rd challenge genre could be a repeat of one of the first two (if you make it through to that round).  But I’ve never seen the first round challenges (1&2) be the same genre.  

TD

Thank-you! This makes me very happy.... not that there's anything wrong with Historical Fiction of course.... Smile
Lisa_Who View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lisa_Who Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2019 at 7:14pm
Originally posted by ramblejamble ramblejamble wrote:

I am very curious about how the genres will be assigned for the second challenge... 

Do they try to give each group a completely different genre from challenge 1? 

Or is it completely random and by the luck of the draw you could end up with two quite similar genres?

I would love to know your experience in previous years. Thanks! Smile

Got romcom in Round 1 AND Round 2 during the last SSC.  There is no safety anywhere. Smile

Edited by Lisa_Who - 08 Aug 2019 at 7:15pm
Edgelords are a bore.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12