NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

First Timers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bdisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2021 at 8:41pm
I kept seeing ads for it on Facebook. I currently have a 160,000k project I'm sitting on that I've been working on for years; i tend to shy away from letting other people read my stuff and I've always been curious what other writers would say about my style. I figured it would be a good chance to get feedback and see where I could strengthen myself.

The 250 word challenge was definitely interesting. And I got ghost story which was also a challenge as it's not my normal genre.

Excited to see what kind of feedback I get from the judges and in the forums.

Good luck everyone! 
Man of Ulster View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man of Ulster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2021 at 8:44pm
Originally posted by Bdisher Bdisher wrote:

I got ghost story which was also a challenge as it's not my normal genre. 
UUUGGGHHH! I would kill for a ghost story (pun intended). 
I hope you get affirmation. 160k is no joke. Don't sit on it!
Bdisher View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bdisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2021 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by Man of Ulster Man of Ulster wrote:

Originally posted by Bdisher Bdisher wrote:

I got ghost story which was also a challenge as it's not my normal genre. 
UUUGGGHHH! I would kill for a ghost story (pun intended). 
I hope you get affirmation. 160k is no joke. Don't sit on it!

Ha. Atleast it wasn't romance or historical. I tend to write fantasy so ghost story wasn't too far off the mark, I guess.

Thanks. It been an idea that has stuck around/evolved over the past 15-ish (or so) years and I can finally say that I have finished a "first" draft that has made it start to finish without getting scrapped, so hopefully I can learna few tips here to improve on my second edited draft.
DanielSass View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanielSass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2021 at 9:54am
I thoroughly enjoyed entering this competition - it's actually the first one I've entered.  Feel a little bummed out as I think I made a typo in my final submission, but am very happy as I feel I have the basis of a much broader story to write about!  I loved the challenge of finding the best words to use - really took me away from my dry 9-5 job :)  
Rhyming R1: Brother Ned     Rhyming R2: To My Wife
mick0684 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mick0684 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2021 at 10:56am
I came across the ad on Instagram Stories. I'd been seeing it for a few years but this time the stars aligned, I guess. This 250 round is my first one ever with NYC. And my first competition ever, now that I think of it.

It feels good to finish a round. Nothing about my finished piece is something I'd typically write, but it was satisfying to fit the prompts together and finish a story in 24 hours. I'm proud that I pushed through and did the darn thing, even if I felt little personal investment in the story.

I'm not sure if I want to post my story here on the forums Confused I think the only reason I would post it is for the other people in my group. It's fun to see how we all interpreted the prompts so differently. 
Patzg View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patzg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2021 at 12:25pm
Initially saw the contest advertised and signed up for newsletters, which I have gotten over the past year.  THis time, I had the time and the inclination, so I entered.

But I have had a helluva time getting hte hyperlinks in the block and/or in my signature. At one point, perhaps still, I was linking to someone else's story!

I think I have the signatuire link right now, but I don't think it is showing up! If not, here is the link to my post:

Good thing we don't get rated on Forum Posts!

swilki View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swilki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2021 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by Patzg Patzg wrote:

Initially saw the contest advertised and signed up for newsletters, which I have gotten over the past year.  THis time, I had the time and the inclination, so I entered.

But I have had a helluva time getting hte hyperlinks in the block and/or in my signature. At one point, perhaps still, I was linking to someone else's story!

I think I have the signatuire link right now, but I don't think it is showing up! If not, here is the link to my post:

Good thing we don't get rated on Forum Posts!

If it reassures you it does work! 
Patzg View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patzg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2021 at 12:52pm
Thank you! Finally!

I appreciate you taking the time to respond!

Now I will read your R1 story!
Man of Ulster View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man of Ulster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2021 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by DanielSass DanielSass wrote:

really took me away from my dry 9-5 job :)  
Is the ultimate goal to be permanently away from the 9-5?

I don't know how typos are viewed. Hopefully the story itself is the important thing. Good luck.
nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2021 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by Man of Ulster Man of Ulster wrote:

I don't know how typos are viewed. Hopefully the story itself is the important thing. Good luck.

From the rules, these are the scoring criteria:

10% Format (Adherence to paragraph #14, but not including Length)
15% Spelling and Grammar
75% Story (Writing, Originality, Character Development, and Plot Development)

Edited by nod1v1ng - 21 Oct 2021 at 1:32pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>