NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

First Timers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man of Ulster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First Timers
    Posted: 18 Oct 2021 at 3:47pm
Hi all First Timers. I found myself wondering what inspired people to join the competition and how hard was it to get over the first hurdle. 

I have been promising myself I'm going to enter more competitions this year and I've spent too much time getting tied up in other things, mostly resulting in having to put it off.
When I saw this one I decided that this was my chance. I had to commit, so I signed up before I got a chance to chicken out. Confused

How did y'all else end up joining?
Min504 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Min504 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2021 at 4:14pm
My boss recommended it - he knows I write as a hobby. Sometimes, I scribble haikus at my desk, so he thought I might like writing a "burst of fiction." He was right. Looking forward to the feedback because I typically don't share anything I write, except the haikus, of course. 
KateHJ View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KateHJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2021 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by Man of Ulster Man of Ulster wrote:

Hi all First Timers. I found myself wondering what inspired people to join the competition and how hard was it to get over the first hurdle. 

I have been promising myself I'm going to enter more competitions this year and I've spent too much time getting tied up in other things, mostly resulting in having to put it off.
When I saw this one I decided that this was my chance. I had to commit, so I signed up before I got a chance to chicken out. Confused

I kept seeing it on Facebook, so joined for Short Story, then flash fiction, and now microfiction. I thought flash was hard already, but wanted the challenge of micro. My story is about as mediocre as it gets, but I managed to tell a whole story in 247 words, so I'm counting it as a personal win. ;)
Man of Ulster View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man of Ulster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2021 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by Min504 Min504 wrote:

My boss recommended it - he knows I write as a hobby. Sometimes, I scribble haikus at my desk, so he thought I might like writing a "burst of fiction." He was right. Looking forward to the feedback because I typically don't share anything I write, except the haikus, of course. 

Your boss sounds pretty cool.
I'm not great at haiku. I've tried and can occasionally write something passable, but I think I'll stick with fiction. Even microfiction.
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man of Ulster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2021 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by KateHJ KateHJ wrote:

I kept seeing it on Facebook, so joined for Short Story, then flash fiction, and now microfiction. I thought flash was hard already, but wanted the challenge of micro. My story is about as mediocre as it gets, but I managed to tell a whole story in 247 words, so I'm counting it as a personal win. ;)
Super positive attitude! 
Be careful, though. If you keep going down the miniaturisation rabbit hole you would end up living in a Tiny Home somewhere with nothing but coffee, wine and a typewriter for...

Actually, that sounds really good.
KateHJ View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KateHJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2021 at 4:44pm

Originally posted by KateHJ KateHJ wrote:

Super positive attitude! 
Be careful, though. If you keep going down the miniaturisation rabbit hole you would end up living in a Tiny Home somewhere with nothing but coffee, wine and a typewriter for...

Actually, that sounds really good.

If it wasn't for the hubby and the two dogs (and potentially two cats after tonight!!) that sounds like a dream. ♥
APDiggs View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APDiggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2021 at 4:49pm
A friend paid for the Flash competition as a kick in the ass to get more writing done.  My timing was off and I missed it by one day and submitted anyway.  The reviews were inspiring and so I entered the 250 on my own.  Hope I make it to the next round.
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man of Ulster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2021 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by APDiggs APDiggs wrote:

A friend paid for the Flash competition as a kick in the ass to get more writing done.  My timing was off and I missed it by one day and submitted anyway.  The reviews were inspiring and so I entered the 250 on my own.  Hope I make it to the next round.
That's great. I'm glad the feedback is positive/constructive. Good luck getting through. I think if I managed that first time, it would be enough for me.
Edit -> And another thing: I once got my timing sufficiently wrong to miss a flight home by an entire day. Last minute flight cost a lot more than I'd like to admit. :/

Edited by Man of Ulster - 18 Oct 2021 at 4:53pm
Nimhathuna View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nimhathuna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2021 at 6:57pm
My daughter either gifted a Flash entry to me or emailed me about it. I can't remember. Anyway, short and sweet. That's it. Smile
cford View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2021 at 7:08pm
The flash fiction (currently 2nd round being judged) was my first.
Saw it on facebook, headed over and checked out the website and thought what the hell!
Always loved writing but needed something to get me focused on it.
Have found it a fantastic process. The genres and prompts and time frames provide the focus,
the peer feedback in the forums is amazing, as is reading other talented writers work.
The judges feedback is also great. I feel i've improved just between the flash fiction rounds and onto microfiction. 
I think I will be a year round addict now that i've started.
Welcome, enjoy :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>