NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

First Run at SSC; Tips for Upgrading from FFC?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASharedNarrative Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First Run at SSC; Tips for Upgrading from FFC?
    Posted: 26 Jan 2018 at 3:00am
What it says on the tin.

I've done two years at FFC, and can't crack into the post-paid rounds. I consider that my own failing as a human being. But, now I'm trying something entirely new in the SSC. Can't fault my being terrible at it until I at least finish the round I paid for, no?

I've only ever written flash (1,500 or less, really) and want some pro tips on what will be the biggest stumbling blocks moving from one format to another.

Anyone willing to give an assist?
2018 SSC
R1 G62 (Spy) - Ex Parte
Sponsored Links

Zblugg View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zblugg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2018 at 7:56am
Great question. Since this'll also be my first Short Story Challenge, I'm curious to read what the "pros" have to share on the matter...
SSP C1 Dog Eat Dog
SSP C2 Dansu No Neko
MattrickBT View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattrickBT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2018 at 8:25am
The difference between 1500 and 2500 words is next to nil. You're afforded a bit more freedom to digress, I suppose. The assignments themselves seem to offer a bit more freedom as well from what I can tell (haven't actually done it) as there is no location or object needed, but a subject and a character, which seems more limited, but you can truly do whatever you want this those, unlike a location which kind of take away your creative freedom to a high degree.

This past FFC was my first time with NYCM and considering the shortest thing I'd ever written was 9,000 words, and most things have been over 75,000 words, going from a 90,000 word novel to a 1,500 word short story was a massive challenge. In the second story, I spent 400 words on the opening, set up paragraph and the story ended up over 3,000 words. the 2500 words will be kinder to me as I shouldn't have to parse so much the story becomes a skeleton, which is what happened to me in the FFC.

Others may feel the FFC is less limiting than this, but it seems to me it'll offer more freedom. My locations in the FFC really limited me.
4th - R1 G52 The Bad Man

R2|H14The Hour
Vernacula View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vernacula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2018 at 8:46am
You'll kill fewer darlings, which will feel luxurious. I also think the judging/feedback is superior (this may come back to bite me, of course). The prompt shift also changes how you approach the story.

Before I mustered the courage to start the screenplay challenges, this was my favorite contest. It may still be; it just feels different and special, at least to me. SSC was my first competition here, and my first-round piece still stays with me. Since I don't love most of what I write, that's saying something.

Best of luck to you!
LaraH View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaraH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2018 at 6:02pm
The biggest difference to me was the time. Oh the luxurious days and days to stew over word choice and edit. I felt like my short story was more polished because of that.
Scarlet Screenwriter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarlet Screenwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2018 at 6:07pm

It's longer. 

They seek him here, they seek him there, those damned writers seek him everywhere.
Is he in heaven or is he in hell, that damned elusive Scarlet Screenwriter! (Oh, phuck, that doesn't even rhyme!)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic