NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

First Few Hours

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaraH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2018 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by kyonks kyonks wrote:

Originally posted by ankh ankh wrote:

It's afternoon here, but I am a bit stuck. Think I might have lost my confidence a little - I scored a 0 for the first round. The problem last time, I think, was that the idea/plot was too big for 1000 words. So even though I have an idea, I'm worried it's too big, and I'll run into the same problem as last time.

Meh, I need to stop procrastinating and start writing, I think.

I'm having the same issue right now. I even have a genre I've written in real life and the feedback has me overthinking things and feeling cliche. 

The pacing of flash is s beast—kudos to you for thinking of it at this stage.  I’ve cut more than one flash to incomprehensability (make sure to hold back a beta reader for the final cut to make sure your story still makes sense.)
Sponsored Links

barnabypage View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barnabypage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2018 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by ThePaleKing ThePaleKing wrote:

I think I do it in a weird way. My writing is quite descriptive (pretentious...) so I@m not great at thinking up stories at the outset. I come up with a scene or a character or a face, and describe that. If I like it, I describe a bit more, and build from there. 

Usually I don't know where the story is going myself - or if I have decided on an end point I'm not sure how I'm going to get there.

Pretty much the same here.

Prompts arrive around 4am Saturday my time, so when I get up to feed the animals at 6 or 7, I have a quick look at the email.

Most of the rest of Saturday I think and write some notes longhand.

Saturday night I might write a few paragraphs of the story, or maybe more, or maybe nothing.

Sunday I actually do it.

So: half the weekend is letting the shape and the feel gestate. Then the actual writing is pretty quick.

Tizeal View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tizeal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2018 at 1:05pm
Political satire - nail salon - a puppet 

I've got nothing :(
manifestlynot View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manifestlynot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2018 at 1:49pm
Originally posted by Tizeal Tizeal wrote:

Political satire - nail salon - a puppet 

I've got nothing :(

I'm right there with you! Confused
FFC R3: More Than Meets The Eye
SSC R1, Ch2: Knights of the All-Shop Supercenter
2018 Screenplay Contest Finals
beckyrcollins View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beckyrcollins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2018 at 2:00pm
Am finishing for the night. Anniversary date was unavoidable! For real though, these partners of ours are patient people when it comes to these comps aren't they?

799 words. Good idea about how I'm ending. Really bloody hope it's not as rushed as last time! (Apologies to beta for not sending tonight Embarrassed)

FF CH3 In Two Meetings (Romance)
SSC CH2 Wizard of Voice (comedy)
Tim G View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2018 at 2:47pm
I have a draft. To Beta!
CH2 Short Screenplay: Exit Means Exit (Political Satire)
Talespinner View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Talespinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2018 at 3:49pm
I have a draft at 992 words, which I think is good for genre (probably), location (hopefully) and object (definitely). I like it, but that could change when I read it tomorrow after a good night's sleep. If I still like it, I'll know I'm probably missing something important...
chrissie0707 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrissie0707 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2018 at 7:05pm
I was feeling a little stuck and a lot of "meh" about what I had going, then called upon a writer's best friend, the late afternoon shower, to loosen up my brain and get the creative juices flowing, and wrote almost the entire thing in my head in about seven minutes. Now I'm ready cram it all into 1000 words!
FFCCH3 - The Medora - HM
FFCCH2 - Friendly Ben 15pts
FFCCH1 - Once in a Millennial 12pts
MadEyeMary View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MadEyeMary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2018 at 8:02pm
Originally posted by Simeonb169 Simeonb169 wrote:

Originally posted by MadEyeMary MadEyeMary wrote:

I slept through the prompts. Woke up at 4am. Talked it over with my hubby. Sent him out on the boat. Researched, wrote for 3 hours, have a draft. Quickest draft I've ever done in this contest. I don't know what to do with myself!

I've never written a crime caper and I'm not sure mine is very funny. But I'm ecstatic to have so much extra time to come back to it! Anybody Beta-ing?? :D

I've also got mine written already. Went with the same plan as R1: have no ideas myself and ask the wife if she has any; get given a brilliant set of possibilities and then get set on writing.

It's nowhere near perfect yet, but I'm happy to Beta (have my name on the Beta spreadsheet but have no idea how to actually go about swapping stories!)

Okay, I will private message you? We can share google doc links and emails.
Cosima View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosima Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2018 at 9:29pm
Whew! I have a draft of my Suspense story. I'd love to trade with someone for feedback. I've listed myself (Bridgette) on the beta sheet, or PM me.
FFC CH3 G3: Liberty Lane (HM)
FFC CH2 G78: Happy New Year 11 pts
FFC CH1 G78: Coward 13 pts
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic