NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Finally I Can Brag! :D

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jennifer.quail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2019 at 11:27am
And in the fastest turnaround I've ever seen an anthology that closed to submissions on the 24th sent an acceptance on New Year's Day! That one is a tribute to E.T.A. Hoffmann, and they bought a revised version of my SSC entry last year ("Deadhead", with 1800 more words and all the implications of anything overtly horror or supernatural removed. It literally is now Sophie being creepy and the flight attendant being scared. Possibly for life.)
Sponsored Links

NYCNewbie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NYCNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2019 at 12:56pm

Bravo and many congratulations Jennifer!
I remember your story and the creepy 'teeth'??? I am sure it was teeth haha!
Excellent news!

Paula x

jennifer.quail View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jennifer.quail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2019 at 2:21pm
Good memory. If Sophie ever compliments your teeth . . . maybe not run, but try not to walk home alone that night! (For those who only know Hoffmann from The Nutcracker he had a lot of stories that were even weirder. This is probably closest in spirit to The Sand-Man.)
Jhill View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 12:49pm
Congrats! This is great news! I remember that story, too. Glad you found a good home for it.
jennifer.quail View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jennifer.quail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2019 at 11:06am
Heh, yeah, basically I took all the feedback from that one (which was out in round 1), and...did the total opposite. Dumped all the implications of actual horror, the flight's pretty routine overall, actually increased the copilot's part...and they liked it. Sophie's just THAT creepy when given free rein. I really need to find more for her to do.

(Also, let's see...of four sales thus far, two are set in Denmark, one a Scandi Noir in Copenhagen and one a romance in a coastal town, a third is in the US but one character is explicitly Danish, and Sophie's last name and accent make it clear she's either Danish or spent a lot of time visiting relatives there. And a careful reader/fan of Danish media could probably peg pretty quickly that especially in the romance, I've got a specific actor in mind. And Sophie's basically a female homage to someone that actor's brother rather famously played on TV.  I think I may have found the secret to my writing success...)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic