NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Final Round Titles and Loglines

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vernacula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 5:24pm
Originally posted by MissMoosie MissMoosie wrote:

Lol! I'm not sure there's much that would save what I wrote, but an ancient toddler might have! :)

I've seen your name on the forums so it's nice to finally say a virtual hello! 

I'm worried about posting it. It's rushed. It's just not good. But then I'm thinking I'm here to learn and the people on the forums are always really kind, very constructive and super helpful and for me, there is no better way to learn than from everyone else here. So when the time comes to post, I'm going to try and be brave...

Good to say hi back! ;-) I hear you on the rushed thing, and thinking something is no good. I was so scared to post my most recent flash piece, and I got some forum feedback yesterday that actually made me tear up. (I'm a sentimental fool.) If you do post, I'm in. We got this! Heart
Sponsored Links

MissMoosie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MissMoosie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 5:49pm
Originally posted by Vernacula Vernacula wrote:

Lol! I'm not sure there's much that would save what I wrote, but an ancient toddler might have! :)

I'm worried about posting it. It's rushed. It's just not good. But then I'm thinking I'm here to learn and the people on the forums are always really kind, very constructive and super helpful and for me, there is no better way to learn than from everyone else here. So when the time comes to post, I'm going to try and be brave...

Good to say hi back! ;-) I hear you on the rushed thing, and thinking something is no good. I was so scared to post my most recent flash piece, and I got some forum feedback yesterday that actually made me tear up. (I'm a sentimental fool.) If you do post, I'm in. We got this! Heart

I've just realised you wrote LOVE-STUCK! I read all the scripts in your category as I loved your group's prompts, but yours has stayed in my mind as it was just so beautifully written and hit every emotion so perfectly. It was a brilliant title too. 
Vernacula View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vernacula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 6:30pm

I've just realised you wrote LOVE-STUCK! I read all the scripts in your category as I loved your group's prompts, but yours has stayed in my mind as it was just so beautifully written and hit every emotion so perfectly. It was a brilliant title too. 

Wow, thank you! I was so excited to get romantic comedy, and hopefully that came through. I don't really watch the genre, but it seemed like it would be fun to write. And it was!
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MissMoosie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 7:06pm

Wow, thank you! I was so excited to get romantic comedy, and hopefully that came through. I don't really watch the genre, but it seemed like it would be fun to write. And it was!

It was heartfelt and funny, tinged with sadness but in an affirmative, positive way - and your fantastic sense of humour shone through big time. 

tedsturge View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tedsturge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 8:38pm

PATHS OF PROGRESS

A U.S. Navy Captain faces a Senate tribunal 

in the aftermath of a tragic accident at a 

nuclear research facility. The cause of the

accident may be more monstrous than she lets on.

Reeeeeeeeally stretched the definition of a "zookeeeper". Good luck to everyone, I can't wait to read your scripts!

T.E. Bradford View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T.E. Bradford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 9:06pm

I'm sure your intriguing logline is definitely going to be reflective of your overall script - I need to know what happens!! And it seems like you've totally opened up all sorts of possibilities if you want to go beyond five pages.

PS: I get major anxiety on the forums. I'm scared to post. (I also generally need help to post because I'm rubbish at posting.) I then can't bear to look after I've posted as I always hate everything I've done. When I finally brace myself to look, everyone is so nice constructive and helpful that I wish I'd looked sooner and could throw myself into it all more...! Grrr! 

Anyway, you've taken these (a bit tricky to say the least) prompts and I'm really looking forward to reading your script!! 

Hopefully that's the case. :) I think we all feel the nerves about exposing ourselves, but yes, everyone is so super helpful and nice. It really makes a difference. And doing these NYCM competitions has helped me get SO much stronger at loglines, finding out what kind of story resonates most with readers, writing on deadlines and so many other good things. It's like therapy for writers. :D

The nice thing is, with only 60 of us left in final round, I'm thinking I can probably manage to read almost everyone's work who posts, which is very cool. Especially with all the amazing sounding stuff everyone came up with. I can't wait.
--Tracy
Screenplay
R2 H2 ONYARE
R3PARADISE
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T.E. Bradford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 9:10pm

Thank you so much for saying! I put a little more thought into this one and got a bit of help. It initially had a very different title, and the logline was a quote! We should have a thread for discarded titles and tags, haha. My genre was: open. Like everyone! Evil Smile LOL (Email me if you want and I'll spill.)

All of these sound so freaking good!

I love the idea of a thread for unused loglines!!! It's funny how much this competition has helped me develop better blurb skills.

And I would definitely email you, but now that I know it's kind of a secret, I think I'll wait and be surprised. Makes me that much more intrigued. :D I can't wait to see what you've done. Seriously - I always enjoy reading your work. You have a great writing voice, and one that really resonates with me as a reader. And not just because we share the same name (although ... cool!). LOL
--Tracy
Screenplay
R2 H2 ONYARE
R3PARADISE
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T.E. Bradford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by tedsturge tedsturge wrote:

PATHS OF PROGRESS

A U.S. Navy Captain faces a Senate tribunal 

in the aftermath of a tragic accident at a 

nuclear research facility. The cause of the

accident may be more monstrous than she lets on.

Reeeeeeeeally stretched the definition of a "zookeeeper". Good luck to everyone, I can't wait to read your scripts!

Ooooo, another one I can't wait to read! I do hope you're going to post it. The nuclear accident aspect has me dying to find out what happened, and how the monstrous angle plays in. Nice job hooking me! :)

Hopefully the judges will be more flexible on the stretching of the prompts for finals. I recall reading a previous year's winner and thinking they stretched the topic quite a bit, and that the judges must have liked it because... well, it won. LOL

Okay, moving on to chomping at the bit for green light to post, because I really really want to read all of these!!!
--Tracy
Screenplay
R2 H2 ONYARE
R3PARADISE
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MissMoosie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 9:21pm
I'm gradually getting braver. 

I value the feedback I get from everyone here so much. Then I feel guilty as my feedback is a bit lame. I get great insights but 

Note to self: toughen up!!!
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MissMoosie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 9:25pm
@TedSturge

I love that you stretched the zoo keeper prompt - and sounds like you took it just so far without neglecting the prompt.

Edited by MissMoosie - 21 Jul 2019 at 9:25pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic