NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Final Round Prompt

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2019 at 12:46am
Originally posted by lisafox10800 lisafox10800 wrote:

It is way too quiet around here. Hellloooo out there! How's everybody doing?

Did no one invite you? We're all drinking while kicking our first drafts across the room like a red-headed step child, and simultaneously trying to come up with better ideas. Welcome to the sh*t show. 

Or it may just be me. You're welcome to join in either way.

Edited by Joni - 24 Feb 2019 at 12:46am
SSC R3 - Double Dog Dare
Sponsored Links

wateringcan View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wateringcan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2019 at 6:42am
I haven't even finished my first draft Cry Funny how not having a genre has made me more perfectionistic. I think if I'm told it has to be - for .e.g. - 'sci-fi' then I find it easier to be like 'eh, it'll do, it fits the genre'; but if I'm told to do whatever I want I want it to be a masterpiece. Thus, everything I write gets immediately chucked out ... pffft ... this is exactly why I never manage to finish anything outside of NYC Midnight Disapprove Good practice to get me out of this particular habit, though, I guess!

Hope everyone else's is going well - fingers crossed for us all! 
lisafox10800 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisafox10800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2019 at 9:35am
Originally posted by wateringcan wateringcan wrote:

I haven't even finished my first draft Cry Funny how not having a genre has made me more perfectionistic. I think if I'm told it has to be - for .e.g. - 'sci-fi' then I find it easier to be like 'eh, it'll do, it fits the genre'; but if I'm told to do whatever I want I want it to be a masterpiece. Thus, everything I write gets immediately chucked out ... pffft ... this is exactly why I never manage to finish anything outside of NYC Midnight Disapprove Good practice to get me out of this particular habit, though, I guess!

Hope everyone else's is going well - fingers crossed for us all! 

Open genre is hard! In my first NYCM final I sort of invented my own genre. And oh boy it was a weird genre.

Keep plugging! Good luck!!!
Snarkmaiden View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snarkmaiden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2019 at 11:15am
Has anyone else written two scripts because their first one was total unmitigated rubbish?

Or was that just me?
ShSC CH4: Sport Of Queens (open/suspense)
SSC CH1: Forked (thriller)
Joni View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2019 at 11:29am
Originally posted by Snarkmaiden Snarkmaiden wrote:

Has anyone else written two scripts because their first one was total unmitigated rubbish?

Or was that just me?

Raises hand. Yes, hated my first one. Went with a totally different idea and finally just got a first draft done and down to 5 pages. I don't love this one, but at least I don't hate it as much as the boring tale I wrote the first time. 
SSC R3 - Double Dog Dare
wateringcan View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wateringcan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2019 at 11:42am
Also raises hand.

My first was abysmal. Then I had a sulk. Then I tried to think of another idea and panicked when 100% of them were total sh*t. I have just now finished plotting a story I actually really like and I'm trying to get the courage up to ruin write it.....this all feels very eleventh hour!

Edited by wateringcan - 24 Feb 2019 at 11:44am
Joni View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2019 at 11:45am
Originally posted by wateringcan wateringcan wrote:

Also raises hand.

My first was abysmal. Then I had a sulk. Then I tried to think of another idea and panicked when 100% of them were total sh*t. I have just now finished plotting a story I actually really like and I'm trying to get the courage up to ruin write it.....this all feels very eleventh hour!

I hope you share this round, I missed getting to read your (2nd place!!) entry on the last one. At least it seems most of us are struggling through this one, so we're all in good company.
SSC R3 - Double Dog Dare
Snarkmaiden View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snarkmaiden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2019 at 11:48am
Just have to say I'm very grateful that we have 48 hours for this final rather than the 24 hours which is all we had for the (non short) screenplay comp!

Edited by Snarkmaiden - 24 Feb 2019 at 11:57am
ShSC CH4: Sport Of Queens (open/suspense)
SSC CH1: Forked (thriller)
NilesPerry View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NilesPerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2019 at 12:09pm

Has anyone else written two scripts because their first one was total unmitigated rubbish? Or was that just me?
A couple years ago, I went through 4 completed scripts before hitting on a 5th idea that finally worked. The first 4 ideas were okay, but they just didn't feel good. The last one was written late in the day Sunday with only 3-4 hours left until deadline. It got me to the next round. That's all that mattered. The other four remain in a file cabinet, probably never seeing the light of day ever again.

Also, I'm beta-ing for someone right now who's working on their second script, after abandoning the first one. You are not alone.
Smile
NilesPerry View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NilesPerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2019 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by Joni Joni wrote:

Has anyone else written two scripts because their first one was total unmitigated rubbish? Or was that just me?

Raises hand. Yes, hated my first one. Went with a totally different idea and finally just got a first draft done and down to 5 pages. I don't love this one, but at least I don't hate it as much as the boring tale I wrote the first time. 
Your first one had a lot of potential. You're being too hard on yourself.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic