NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Final Round Genre Selection

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrissie0707 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2018 at 8:28pm
In the SSC final, the open genre threw me for a loop. I landed on Drama, but felt like, looking back on it, that having a genre in mind going into brainstorming would have been better. I had decided a couple of weeks ago that if I advanced here, I was going to write Sci Fi, because I hadn't here yet before, and wanted to give it a go.

I'm really impressed with all of the creative things the finalists came up with here!
SSC1 Mythtaken
Sponsored Links

nixie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2018 at 10:22pm
Originally posted by Rosie J Rosie J wrote:

Didn't realise drama was the strong contender in the past and kinda glad I didn't,  as I'd probably try force something God-awful that just screamed 'tactical yet failing'.

That's really the thing, isn't it Rosie?  It's what I liked about Lisa's approach - she defined the genres she felt she could write well in for this - and then waited for the prompt to tell her which of those was the one.  

JMHO, but my own final-round experiences here left me believing that choosing a genre before you have seen the prompts has a lot of potential to backfire and lock you into a place that doesn't work - but going in with no plan at all is just not a nixie comfort zone.... (and, it's me - so usually the location drives the story that comes out - though in talking with some of the finals writers on this set of prompts, it turned out to be the object that was the big driver in most cases...)
See you next FFC!
bleustick View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bleustick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2018 at 12:13am
Originally posted by nixie nixie wrote:

I'd be so curious as to *why folks chose those genres.  Is it where the prompts took them or a strategic decision? (Historically, Dramas win.  Last year, first with the new prompt generator, SciFi won...)

I love word prompts and have used various kinds to shake writer's block many times. But I have never honestly aimed for a specific genre and have yet to really find my niche because of that. I'm sure it shows in what I've written here so far. So as soon as the genre opened up for the final round, I was happy not to think about genre at all. Though, I will say that I very nearly went political/religious satire with this one, but it came out very different (not surprised; I'm not a satire writer really).
FFC 1: No Room For Flowers * 2: Flowers Grew Through Them * 3: Just Us Flower Eaters * 4: Nothing But Flowers
SSC 1: Perfect Little Squares
td333777 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote td333777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2018 at 11:18pm
Actually, the last two winners have both been sci-fi. I always maintain that the judges reward creativity over great prose, so I'm not a big believer in "drama is the safe choice." Mary Squillance's winning entry from 2016 was truly impressive when you consider the prompts: open/a trading floor/scrapbook. She went sci-fi and absolutely killed it. I remember reading it before I entered the 2017 contest and thought "Holy sh*t. Well, I'm definitely not coming up with something that good, so the pressure's off." Combine an original, creative concept with smooth writing, and genre is the least of your worries.

TD

Check out Mary's story here if you haven't already:

http://www.nycmidnight.com/Competitions/FFC/Stories/Futures.htm

Edited by td333777 - 24 Dec 2018 at 11:28pm
SSC 2019 - Rd 1, Gr 33 Ruthless Efficiency
FFC 2017 - 1st place
SSC 2018 - 2nd place
Jhill View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2018 at 10:29am
Mary's winning story has stuck with me, just as TD's has. This competition leads to some fantastic work. 
Marc_Beard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marc_Beard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2019 at 6:03am
Why can't I be surprised that Drama is the most popular again? 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic