NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Final Round Genre Selection

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote lisafox10800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Final Round Genre Selection
    Posted: 22 Dec 2018 at 11:43pm
Ok, folks. I've read every one of the final round pieces, and by my interpretation*, here's where we landed in terms of genres:

Drama: 9 stories
Sci-Fi: 5 stories
Fantasy/Magical Realism: 4 stories
Fairytale/Fable: 2 stories
Horror: 2 stories
Action-Adventure: 1 story
Spy: 1 story

*As not all stories were labeled with genre, I interpreted as I read. There were a few that were mixed genre.

Just thought it was an interesting tally. And again, I'm totally blown away by the quality of all these pieces. Everyone definitely brought their A-game to the final round, and it's truly an honor to have written alongside all of you.

Hopefully more folks will come forward and post. We have just over a third online here - still a great showing, but I want to read more. Smile
Coming Soon to a forum near you... 2019 Screenplay Challenge Round 1. Suspense! (Is it killing you yet?)
Sponsored Links

Rosie J View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosie J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2018 at 9:24am
This is fascinating thanks Lisa! I'm still working my way through everyone's and like you say, the talent is mindblowing. Really hope people go onto publish some of these! 

And YES where are all these other writers hmmm? I want to read them all!

Edited by Rosie J - 23 Dec 2018 at 9:25am
R4 (Sci Fi): What Hope Sounds Like
nixie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2018 at 10:11am
I'd be so curious as to *why folks chose those genres.  Is it where the prompts took them or a strategic decision? (Historically, Dramas win.  Last year, first with the new prompt generator, SciFi won...)
See you next FFC! Meantime, don't hesitate to stop by my web site to see what I'm up to!
lisafox10800 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lisafox10800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2018 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by nixie nixie wrote:

I'd be so curious as to *why folks chose those genres.  Is it where the prompts took them or a strategic decision? (Historically, Dramas win.  Last year, first with the new prompt generator, SciFi won...)

For me, personally, I'd narrowed it down to three genres where I feel most comfortable:

1. Sci Fi
2. Drama
3. Horror

Without the fences of a genre assignment, I decided I'd exhaust each, in the order above, until the idea hit me.

As much as I wanted to write SciFi, the ideas I had were too big for Flash, or I felt were way too 'outside the lines' for the location requirement. So when I exhausted SciFi, I moved on to Drama.

I had a few dramatic ideas I was playing with (one with more of a supernatural/ghost spin, one was incredibly cliche) but the one I landed on was the one that hit me between the eyes and wouldn't leave. So there it was.

Strategic, yes, in terms on not letting myself stray so far that I couldn't come up with an idea. Or that I'd be so overwhelmed that I'd panic and pick the first thing that came to mind.

Still hanging on to those original sci fi ideas for a rainy day. I liked them, but I just didn't feel I could do them justice with 1000 words.
Coming Soon to a forum near you... 2019 Screenplay Challenge Round 1. Suspense! (Is it killing you yet?)
sidle_by View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidle_by Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2018 at 12:57pm
this is really interesting, thanks for compiling!! 

i guess, for me at least, i'm pretty comfortable with fantasy and i like the freedom it gives me to move around. given my constraints over the wknd, i went with the first thin that came into my head - no surprises it was some sort of magical realism/fantasy thing haha ((if i had my time again, maybe i'd try a horror story. no specific reason, i've just never written one before, so it could have been a fun challenge))

interesting that dramas are the historical winner!! i love some good lit fic sort of stuff, but i'm absolutely shocking at writing it. would never have occurred to me as an option :)
beckyrcollins View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote beckyrcollins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2018 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by lisafox10800 lisafox10800 wrote:

For me, personally, I'd narrowed it down to three genres where I feel most comfortable
I feel like this was the most sensible way of doing it. This was my first time in the final and I panicked. Hard. I went through every genre and thought of vague ideas for each one then stuck with the one that was most fleshed out / doable. Massively regret the story I ended up with so do not recommend! 
SSC CH3 Ammunition (Sci-Fi)
FF CH4 The Monitor (spy/thriller)
nixie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2018 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by sidle_by sidle_by wrote:

interesting that dramas are the historical winner!! i love some good lit fic sort of stuff, but i'm absolutely shocking at writing it. would never have occurred to me as an option :)

The old prompt generation system contained slightly less...unusual...prompt words/combinations (you'd never have found a 'drone' in that collection for example).  I'd guess that older engines favored "legitimate" short story over genre fic.... ;)
See you next FFC! Meantime, don't hesitate to stop by my web site to see what I'm up to!
nixie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2018 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by lisafox10800 lisafox10800 wrote:

For me, personally, I'd narrowed it down to three genres where I feel most comfortable:

1. Sci Fi
2. Drama
3. Horror

Without the fences of a genre assignment, I decided I'd exhaust each, in the order above, until the idea hit me.

Seems a very sensible and 'working' approach. You know I am a 'systems' person and like to have a plan - and we know that some folks here are total pantsers. lol  always fascinating to me to see how all these minds work!!!

Thanks for sharing!
Rosie J View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosie J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2018 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by nixie nixie wrote:

Originally posted by sidle_by sidle_by wrote:

The old prompt generation system contained slightly less...unusual...prompt words/combinations (you'd never have found a 'drone' in that collection for example).  I'd guess that older engines favored "legitimate" short story over genre fic.... ;)

Haha I'm the same with just pure drama, cannot write it for the life of me. Dunno how @lisafox did it!! 

@nixie I wanted to do sci fi because I usually find it fun to write, which hopefully makes it fun to read! Didn't realise drama was the strong contender in the past and kinda glad I didn't,  as I'd probably try force something God-awful that just screamed 'tactical yet failing'.
R4 (Sci Fi): What Hope Sounds Like
jibwriter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jibwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2018 at 3:46pm
When I got the prompts, I thought 'oh these are so ordinary, I need some magic to really make them special' and I spent all of Saturday working on some fantastical mother-daughter witch-coming-of-age story. But it didn't ring true. The only thing I couldn't let go of was the idea of 'do not open the box.'

And, this occured to other writers as well I think, my mind went to the most famous of opened boxes and I built a story around the idea of Pandora. I was hoping to blend the mythic with the mundane and I don't think I really succeeded to meet my own standard but it was really fun and I definitely want to explore the concept further in future work. I suppose I ended up with a regular old drama in the end. For me, I can't make the story work if I try to force something that I don't believe in. I guess for the open genre  challenges I focus on characters and let the genre reveal itself. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic