NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Final Results In!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote cbartley11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Final Results In!
    Posted: 17 Jan 2018 at 12:45am
So there it is. We have our winner. 

Congrats to Trey Dowell. He's the winner. 177 seconds was really incredible. I remember being pretty shaken after reading it. Such a powerful 1,000 words.

But also, to all the finalists and semi-finalists, and competitors, this was such an enriching experience. I read a lot of incredible stories. I now have a bunch of new writers I love, stories that have stuck with me, and styles that I want to take from.

This was my first flash fiction competition and I couldn't be more appreciative of joining and randomly finding this awesome community with great writers and a really fun competition. I'm stoked to have gotten an honorable mention, but most importantly, I can't wait for the short story competition because I have left this first competition a better writer thanks to the feedback and insight of the people here.

Thanks and great job everyone. Be proud.
Sponsored Links

Jhill View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Jhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2018 at 9:35am
I agree. This was my first competition, and I had a blast. This community is fantastic. I've learned a lot, and now I see how much further I have to go... Congrats to all of you winners! 
R1 - The Legend of Garalinda (Fairy Tale)
Zblugg View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zblugg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2018 at 11:26am
Gratz, Trey! Amazing job!

I hate/envy/admire you. LOL
td333777 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote td333777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2018 at 11:35am
@ cbartley  Thanks!  And congratulations on your Honorable Mention.  There were so many great stories in the final--I have no idea how the judges whittled everything down.  I was just fortunate they were in relatively good moods when they read mine. :)

@ Zblugg Thank you--I'll take that hate/envy/admiration as the true complement I know it is!! :)  I felt it myself during last year's Short Story competition when I finished the dreaded 5th in the second round...missing the finals by one spot seriously damaged my calm.
FFC 2019 - Ch 1, Gr 94 Upgrade
SSC 2018 - 2nd place
FFC 2017 - 1st place
JeffreyHowe View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeffreyHowe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2018 at 11:52am
Originally posted by td333777 td333777 wrote:

@ Zblugg Thank you--I'll take that hate/envy/admiration as the true complement I know it is!! :)  I felt it myself during last year's Short Story competition when I finished the dreaded 5th in the second round...missing the finals by one spot seriously damaged my calm.

The angst could be felt within a forty-yard radius. Small birds keeled over in his wake between the parking lot and the bookstore where our writers' group met.

Seriously though--congrats on success with one of the best SF short-shorts I've read in years.
Zelda View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Zelda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2018 at 6:00pm
Congrats!! Your story made me cry when I read it on Christmas!! 
https://forums.nycmidnight.com/topic22675_post284862.html#284862 <--First round flash fiction
ShroudedWolf View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShroudedWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2018 at 12:15pm
Congratulations to all! I fizzled in the first round, second challenge. Looking forward to the short story comp. and seeing many of you back next year. :)
CH1:G68 "Asher's Vision" Fairy Tale

2016 FFC Rd 2 Honorable Mention
jennifer.quail View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jennifer.quail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2019 at 10:44am
They haven't updated the website--can someone post a link so everyone can see it? I'm dying to see where some of these finished!
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2019 at 11:12am
Originally posted by jennifer.quail jennifer.quail wrote:

They haven't updated the website--can someone post a link so everyone can see it? I'm dying to see where some of these finished!

You now of course that this is last years contest, lol.  The finals for this year don't come out till the 23rd!
Cosima View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosima Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2019 at 6:25pm
OMG THIS WAS LAST YEAR.

I was so confused.

Still, congrats, Trey. :D 

Edited by Cosima - 05 Jan 2019 at 3:08pm
SSC R3: Call of the Void (HM)
SSC R2: Cinna's List (Thriller) (2nd)
SSC R1: Angie (Suspense) (1st)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic