NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Final push

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlexSammich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 9:37pm
Between being really busy and really tired, this was a struggle. Saturday night, I finally started writing. Got 180 words in and realized I was writing a 500-word story that would have been lame.  Got 600 words into another story and got stuck.

4 hours to go, my lamenting brain latched onto something, I had a lot of fun writing and editing. Just submitted a few minutes ago. I might send another edit in later.

If the judges miss my jokes and sly references, oh well. I had fun!

SS Ch1 2024: WING TEAM
MF250 Ch1 2023: A Ghost of Christmas Scratch
Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 9:44pm
Just because I decided to open my DONE, SUBMITTED, DON'T LOOK ANYMORE story.

2117 words.  17 of those are title and synopsi...

Oops..better get the hatchet out!  Big smile
This sig intentionally blank
GenieAZ View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GenieAZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 11:07pm
Yikes.  

Ok.  Submitted!  1994 words, and I dare not go back.  I completely started over last night, so all things considered, I am feeling ok!  But thank God for beta readers this round, because I was a heated mess.  Which is a regular mess, where heat has been applied, so that it is an even bigger mess. Yeah.
brooke1421 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brooke1421 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 11:09pm
Beta...readers?? f**k. That would have been helpful!!

Not that there would have been time for it. I submitted with an hour and nine minutes left...
Mother of Chaos View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mother of Chaos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 11:13pm
Just finished. 2000 words. I have discovered that I love to read horror and I HATE to write it. Good challenge for the weekend I suppose. I can't believe I even came up with something. That's a win in and of itself for me. 
Mother of Chaos
SSC21 When You Least Expect It
Rita View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 11:24pm
Submitted. Whew!
Political Satire... really? Luckily I have been addicted to politics over the last five years, so I'm well versed. But I have never written, nor have I considered writing political satire (as much as I like Cobert and Kimmel). I kept it in the current time period, although I considered the 1700s at first.

It was difficult. Not sure I hit the mark but it's finished and my in-house beta readers liked it (they don't always like what I write), and offered content feedback which helped a lot. 

Keeping my fingers crossed. 

joshaxel View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joshaxel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 11:25pm
Congrats, groupmate! I share your sentiments exactly. I might love mysteries, but they take a level of planning that is not part of whatever writing process I typically follow (I'll kid myself into thinking I have a process. Why not?)
joshaxel View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joshaxel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 11:28pm
Originally posted by salgal80 salgal80 wrote:

I’ve submitted. It’s time for a drink.
Mystery is hard the first time.
Add pristine as a subject and I’m fried.

Congrats, groupmate! I share your sentiments exactly. I might love mysteries, but they take a level of planning that is not part of whatever writing process I typically follow (I'll kid myself into thinking I have a process. Why not?)
lilliehannon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilliehannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2021 at 12:04am
That moment when you finish a story with minutes to spare...

This one was harder than the last ones, and I have definitely struggled with the first few drafts (all of them now deleted). I'm happy with my final one, even if it wasn't something I normally would have written. Still. I had a fun time, and that's what counts!

swilki View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swilki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2021 at 4:12am
Originally posted by Random Random wrote:

Originally posted by nod1v1ng nod1v1ng wrote:

Originally posted by swilki swilki wrote:

Aaaand upon re-reading it before shutting down Word, I felt it was essential to add three words and had to scour the damn thing again looking for three words to sacrifice. 
That's it. It's over. I'm not looking at it again until after the deadline.

I usually find that when I'm dithering over three words, I'm actually done. 

Time to put your feet up and relax!

Or, alternately, dither with three words until the realization that nagging in the back of your head was the way it ended, and you really needed about 15 words to add the missing piece.

THEN kick up your feet and relax...  Tongue
This is too accurate; out of my head you!!! 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>