NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Final push

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluevervain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by bluevervain bluevervain wrote:

I've got nothing, really. It doesn't help that due to family obligations, I wasn't able to start writing until this morning! I'm really into the sci-fi and "quality control" aspects of my prompt, but struggling with a "warmonger" character. The characters I write are often passive aggressive, but not usually outright aggressive! I'm taking solace in the knowledge that I tend to do well under pressure, and there's a chance I'll be able to churn something out an hour before the deadline. And if not, that's ok. These contests have me writing more than I have in years, and if I don't end up submitting for this round, I'm not going to beat myself up over it.

I lied; I will totally beat myself up over it. Curse you, warmonger!
Draiglas View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Draiglas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 2:06pm

I've got nothing, really. It doesn't help that due to family obligations, I wasn't able to start writing until this morning! I'm really into the sci-fi and "quality control" aspects of my prompt, but struggling with a "warmonger" character. The characters I write are often passive aggressive, but not usually outright aggressive! I'm taking solace in the knowledge that I tend to do well under pressure, and there's a chance I'll be able to churn something out an hour before the deadline. And if not, that's ok. These contests have me writing more than I have in years, and if I don't end up submitting for this round, I'm not going to beat myself up over it.

Could your warmonger trigger war sneakily/passively aggressively? 
bluevervain View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluevervain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 2:11pm
Originally posted by Draiglas Draiglas wrote:

I've been brainstorming passive aggressive warmonger ideas and nothing interesting is coming! I'll keep at it, though.
Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 2:22pm

Originally posted by Draiglas Draiglas wrote:

I've been brainstorming passive aggressive warmonger ideas and nothing interesting is coming! I'll keep at it, though.

Your warmonger could wear the face of a pacifist, but behind the scenes work toward a different outcome.  The term 'chickenhawk' was coined for warhawks that avoided military service (you can look warhawk up on your own).

Also, Charlie has said the character needs to be influential, but not in your story.  Your characters could be influenced to violent action by the prodding of someone in the wings, as it were.

As for my warmonger story, 'protein folding' made it!  Woot!  962 down.  Plenty of words to fix the problems and bring in act four, and I even have a title now, but No Log Line, which Needs SpecFic capITaliZation to sAtiSFY the WhiMs of 1610.
This sig intentionally blank
LadyArkham View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyArkham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 3:08pm
Yeah, I'm seriously considering using Weird Capitals in my Log Line just in case I get Judge 1610.

Edited by LadyArkham - 10 Apr 2021 at 3:08pm
nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 3:39pm

Let's see. I've done the laundry. Vacuumed. Moved the furniture. Vacuumed again. (How can there be SO much dog hair?) Took the dog for a hike. Installed the A/C. Made an appointment to get my hair cut. Planned dinner.

I think I've probably exhausted my avoidance opportunities. 

I do have most of the story plotted out in my head though. So that's something.
Draiglas View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Draiglas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by LadyArkham LadyArkham wrote:

Yeah, I'm seriously considering using Weird Capitals in my Log Line just in case I get Judge 1610.

I'm considering going the opposite. No capitalisation at all, just to annoy 1610 if I get them. Maybe skip the grammar too. And put my synopsis at the bottom of the page for the hell of it.
TBurns View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TBurns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 5:49pm
900 words - why dear God, why must I be one who edits as she writes?  Writing comedy is only funny the first 2 times you read it back to yourself - then you have to question why the world will never have your particular sense of humor...(how many points will be deducted if I write while ingesting CBD oils?)  Again, much luck to my fellow second rounders.  
Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 6:37pm
Originally posted by nod1v1ng nod1v1ng wrote:

(How can there be SO much dog hair?)

Because dogs shed twice their body mass in hair daily?  Cats are worse.
This sig intentionally blank
theinquisitor View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote theinquisitor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 7:33pm
First draft done with more than 24 hours to spare. This has never happened to me before (in any context, not just NYCM) and is probably a harbinger of the apocalypse.

I may well be availing myself of the beta list tomorrow, but for now, bed...

Edited by theinquisitor - 10 Apr 2021 at 7:34pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>