NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Final push

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
Author
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juliaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 8:31am
I just finished my outline--yesterday I cycled through several unsatisfying ideas before landing this morning on one that I like. Going to take a risotto lunch break, and then hopefully hammer out a full first draft by tonight! 
Hanley! View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hanley! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 9:40am
I have yet to write down any words. But in trying to think of ideas for the short story, I have come up with a pretty neat idea for a new D&D campaign. So even if I crash out of this round, at least I'll have gotten something out of it!

I have my story concept locked down, and a general outline. I know the journey that the characters will be going on. But I'm still light on some of the detail. I'm doing Action / Adventure and I haven't figured out exactly what the action is going to look like yet. 
Nimhathuna View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nimhathuna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 9:50am
I'm at 1249 words and I pretty much like all of them, even the 'ands' and the 'thes.' My third Sci-Fi in a row. I like the plot and the characters. Here's hoping that will continue. Erah shur, what can you do?
swilki View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote swilki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 10:30am
I have a sentence. 
It's a nice sentence, I like it. Looks a little lonely though. 
Draiglas View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Draiglas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 10:51am
Originally posted by swilki swilki wrote:

I have a sentence. 

Well, Ernest Hemingway allegedly wrote a six word story so maybe the one sentence is all you need? Smile
swilki View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swilki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 11:34am
Originally posted by Draiglas Draiglas wrote:

Originally posted by swilki swilki wrote:

I have a sentence. 

Well, Ernest Hemingway allegedly wrote a six word story so maybe the one sentence is all you need? Smile
Ha if only! Sadly it doesn't include the words spy, science fair or imposter so I'd get disqualified on a technicality, sigh!
Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 11:43am
The magnitude of 'Warmonger', and how that affects the basic structure of the story, has finally come into focus.

I have to wonder if Charlie thought of that when he added it to the character list.  My guess is 'no'.
This sig intentionally blank
GenieAZ View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GenieAZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 12:36pm
I had a full day meeting and dinner yesterday.  Ugh!  I fell asleep with my concept concept, setting and characters.  All I need now is an actual story.  Stress!
Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by GenieAZ GenieAZ wrote:

I had a full day meeting and dinner yesterday.  Ugh!  I fell asleep with my concept concept, setting and characters.  All I need now is an actual story.  Stress!

Death by Meeting.  Bah!  Meeting is the antonym of productive...

If "pro" is the opposite of "con", then the opposite of Progress would be Congre...never mind...

You still have 34 hours, plenty of time to put pixel to LCD and get this done!  Clap
This sig intentionally blank
bluevervain View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluevervain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 1:47pm
I've got nothing, really. It doesn't help that due to family obligations, I wasn't able to start writing until this morning! I'm really into the sci-fi and "quality control" aspects of my prompt, but struggling with a "warmonger" character. The characters I write are often passive aggressive, but not usually outright aggressive! I'm taking solace in the knowledge that I tend to do well under pressure, and there's a chance I'll be able to churn something out an hour before the deadline. And if not, that's ok. These contests have me writing more than I have in years, and if I don't end up submitting for this round, I'm not going to beat myself up over it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>