NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

FFC2 Post Submission Bar!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910
Author
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ksoucy416 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 1:08am
Originally posted by jennifer.quail jennifer.quail wrote:

Originally posted by Ksoucy416 Ksoucy416 wrote:

Well. This is the latest I ever submitted. I don’t feel great but I felt great last time and it seems some of the judges barely read my story so who knows 😂 I didn’t plan accordingly for the second prompt. I work fridays and Saturday’s but normally I have some writing time to spare. Not this weekend with our first catering post covid. I was at work late friday, all day Saturday. Got home at 1 am last night. Woke up at 7, headed straight to work, then catered a party until 6 tonight. Had to eat as I hadn’t done that yet. Did my kids hair after bath which takes an hour. Finally got her ready for bed and started writing at 9:30. I submit at 11:59 with zero edits lmao. I had one idea come to me when I started writing and had to run with it. But then word count got in my head and I just rushed to the ending. Not confident in my story this round but I am proud of myself for pushing through and putting something out. I almost folded and didn’t write anything, but I persevered. No matter how lack of sleep insane who knows who wrote this it is �£

Oh, I feel you. I always work at minimum one weekend day, and this week it was Saturday AND Sunday. No kids, but outside chores take about an hour, morning and evening. I basically had to go with where it ended. 

Sleep is for the weak, anyway...

That’s the truth, I say with one eye open LOL

Normally I can skirt around it and find some free hours even while working weekends but this one just consumed all of the time. I feel you though, adding in just normal things that need to get done to work around that weekend worker schedule is tough! I told myself earlier when it felt like the day would never end, I’m just not going to write anything...but nope! I’m going to write something! Not something good! But something lmfao! And now after exhaustion I’m up with that writers high of doing it all so last minute. I’m exhausted but how to sleep when you just sent a bunch of strangers some shoddy work CryLOL
FF 2021 R1 G1 Hide and Seek

R2 G1 Bullseye
A.J. Gemick View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A.J. Gemick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 1:12am
Originally posted by argrenier argrenier wrote:

SOMEDAY I will be able to write without procrastinating until fairly close to the deadline. Today is not that day.

Ah, I say the same thing every time too. Haven't managed it yet. But! This time I did manage to have the title & synopsis done at the very beginning instead of my usual blind panic realization as I'm submitting it, that I still don't have either and have to half-ass something at the last second.  

So that was nice (as was submitting 15 mins before deadline..) Maybe I'm learning some- baby steps! Wink Would love to some day to not procrastinate so much, that I can have a draft ready on Saturday for a beta read... one day! Likewise, today is not that day.

As for how I'm feeing about it? Meh. *shrugs * I was not that inspired by the prompts and since I got a big whopping zero points in the 1st round, it's hard to get excited about it -as the odds of getting enough points in the 2nd round to move on, is really low.  I wonder if I'll repeat the same thing as in last year's FF, where it was 0 in round 1 and 5 points in round 2 for me.

No drinks, too late in the evening for that. 
2021 FFC1 Gr40 Romance A Long Walk
sgspeed View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sgspeed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 1:23am
Uuff.  Could not connect to those prompts, spent way too much time researching and do not like Spy. I don't know if I got it or not, but I turned something in. Yay!
A.J. Gemick View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A.J. Gemick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 2:25am
Originally posted by LadyArkham LadyArkham wrote:

Done, will prolly fiddle with some grammar and resubmit tonight.

Here’s hoping an accountant office counts as a modern “countinghouse” equivalent because they were not gonna back door me into Historical Fiction.

I am also screwed if the judges are unfamiliar with the Muppets.

Good luck, everyone!

hello fellow groupmate!  I think you'll totally be fine with using an accountant's office- because when I went to look up the definition of a "countinghouse” (because, what the eff is that?) I found references that said businesses' accounting departments basically evolved from the old victorian countinghouses.. 

LOL I'm just slightly annoyed that they didn't give us histfic with that location prompt!  Would have made much more sense. I guess the blind, drunk chicken didn't peck that genre on the prompt selection board.. but made sure to grab that "chicken wing" object prompt tho.. yep, mmm hhrmm *insert Jennifer Lawrence yeah okay gif here *

Tell me you did a funky modern take on a Muppet's Christmas Carole??!!?? Hahahahah  Big smileLOLLOL

(oh & congrats again on the 1st place spot last round!!)
2021 FFC1 Gr40 Romance A Long Walk
LyndaD View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LyndaD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 9:06am
For the first time, I didn't submit. We're moving, and this was the final weekend before we have to be out of our house. I started something Saturday night around eleven, but just never got back to it Sunday. We were moving aquariums and fish to new homes, and had to coordinate with other people, and next thing I knew it was an hour and a half past the deadline (9PM for me). For reference, I was so exhausted I closed the truck door on my foot on the last trip.
On the one hand, I feel like I failed, because my round 1 story scored 11 points, and a good round 2 story probably would have moved me along.
On the other hand, I really wasn't feeling my prompts and disliked what I'd started, so probably wouldn't have scored well enough to advance anyway.

So congratulations to all who finished, and if you didn't, know that you are not alone.

Edited by LyndaD - 13 Sep 2021 at 11:43am
Gert Of The Well View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gert Of The Well Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 9:35am
Well, receiving the dreaded pol-sat, combined with being at a wedding all weekend meant I ended up submitting at 3am UK time and the story was NOT my best work! I probably wouldn't have bothered at all, but came first in my group with the first round entry (WHAT?!) so thought I needed to at least make an effort... Looking forward to seeing what everyone else came up with!
ophelialit74 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ophelialit74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 10:15am
Originally posted by LyndaD LyndaD wrote:

For the first time, I didn't submit. We're moving, and this was the final weekend before we have to be out of our house. I started something Saturday night around eleven, but just never got back to it Sunday. We were moving aquariums and fish to new homes, and had to coordinate with other people, and next thing I knew it was an hour and a half past the deadline (9PM for me). For reference, I was so exhausted I closed the truck door on my foot on the last trip.
On the one hand, I feel like I failed, because my round 1 story scored 11 points, and a good round 2 story probably would have moved me along.
On the other hand, I really wasn't feeling my prompts and disliked what I'd started, so probably wouldn't have scored well enough to advance anyway.

So congratulations to all who finished, and if you didn't, no that you are not alone.

I feel you! I didn't submit for the first round, and it was the first time in my NYC Midnight history that I missed a deadline. Sometimes, life gets in the way and takes priority, and, sometimes, forcing yourself to write something just for the sake of writing something makes for an unpleasant experience. Hope to see you in the MF250 challenge! 
TeeHi View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeeHi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 11:39am
Originally posted by dashesndots2 dashesndots2 wrote:

Done, finally.
Agonized over a dumb idea Saturday, completely scrapped that and churned out a much better story today.  I took a lot of risks (for me) with this one - second-person perspective, didn't particularly stick too close to my assigned genre (Fairy Tale).  Have a feeling I may get DQ'd for not having the object proper in my story -- I use the word in a more metaphorical sense, to a similar effect that the object itself would produce. But the object would have been anachronistic in my story, so...oh well.  I honestly don't care - happy with what I did and if it costs me points, so be it!

Congrats to all who have submitted!  Good luck to those still working - you can do it!

I too did mine in second-person; a couple of my beta readers didn't care for the PoV, but others did. Since I had Thriller (thriller niiiiiiiiight!), I figured this PoV would up the thrillerness factor since the reader is the victim. Since I had zilch in R1, I figured I have nothing to lose and everything to gain, so let's hope the judges are on the Like It team.
TeeHi View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeeHi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 11:42am
ACCIDENTAL DUPE; IGNORE!

Edited by TeeHi - 13 Sep 2021 at 11:58am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910
  Share Topic