NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

FFC R2 Check-In

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 14>
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lnLala Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FFC R2 Check-In
    Posted: 13 Aug 2022 at 3:09pm
We're just over halfway through day 1, and I have already reached the second-guessing stage of my writing process. Usually I make it to at least day 2. Maybe it's because I will not be able to use at least half of tomorrow, so I had to push up the timeline? Whatever the reason, I wish it had come slightly later. Preferably when I had more of the story actually finished. I'm barely 400 words into the story and I am trying very hard to convince myself it doesn't suck as bad as I think it does. How can it? It's not freaking done!

How is everyone else doing? Better than I am, I hope.

Edited by lnLala - 13 Aug 2022 at 3:09pm
FF23 Ch3 Gr13 Confession (thriller)
Mystajia View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mystajia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2022 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by lnLala lnLala wrote:

We're just over halfway through day 1, and I have already reached the second-guessing stage of my writing process. Usually I make it to at least day 2. Maybe it's because I will not be able to use at least half of tomorrow, so I had to push up the timeline? Whatever the reason, I wish it had come slightly later. Preferably when I had more of the story actually finished. I'm barely 400 words into the story and I am trying very hard to convince myself it doesn't suck as bad as I think it does. How can it? It's not freaking done!

How is everyone else doing? Better than I am, I hope.

I feel you! I had 3 different ideas with the intention of writing all 3 and going with the one that came out best. Well, I finished a rough of one (not sure how strong the genre and location play into it) and have to get ready for work. So much for the best laid plans.
AutumnBe View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AutumnBe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2022 at 3:27pm
Ugh. I've never had so little time to complete a NYCM round before. I feel like everything I'm writing is clearly rushed and absolute drivel. 

Edited by AutumnBe - 13 Aug 2022 at 3:27pm
250R1 - Last Word
500R3 - Seeding the Clouds
arkansas_scrawl View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arkansas_scrawl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2022 at 4:20pm
I haven’t started yet. I’m writing sci fi for the first time and while I enjoy the genre on TV and in the movies, I’m trying to read some short stories in the genre today to get a sense of what I need to do. I’m not too fussed, I work best against a deadline, but ask me tomorrow, I’ll probably be stressed. 
TessaK View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TessaK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2022 at 4:31pm
I'm trying to cut nearly 600 words from my crime caper. It's a nice problem to have, but still so difficult.

Question about the setting: How much of the story has to take place in the assigned setting? I have my character capering in the location for about 600 words, then she leaves for the remaining 400 to do some additional thievery. Is that too little?
SS R1: Rules of Entanglement (Fantasy)
https://tinyurl.com/3k6rteaz
WhistlerCrowe View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhistlerCrowe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2022 at 4:37pm
I read my prompts last night - Mystery, a taxidermy shop, and bean bag - and had a loose idea of what I wanted to write. After running my daughter around to a birthday party and then dropping her off with my mom for a few hours, I'm finally sitting down to try to write. I've got a title I love and the shaping of a first line but I'm a little concerned that the story might end up being too much of a horror story as opposed to a mystery. 
FerretKittyMom View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FerretKittyMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2022 at 4:40pm
I've got my idea, and have been letting my brain work on developing it into a story. (That sounds better than procrastinating lol) I guess it's about time I started actually writing. 
Rhyming2 Vacation Vexation

Rhyming1Stella
Freeman View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2022 at 4:40pm
I did similar in my previous story and they never mentioned it. So it will probably suffice. It just has to be the main location.
BarbaraFL View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarbaraFL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2022 at 4:52pm
Not a hint of an idea nor a word written. Drawing comedy when my dog is dying of cancer and it's really day by day was not great - I couldn't be LESS inspired to be funny at all right now. I really don't want to waste my weekend agonizing over this and got no points in R1 so I'm pretty close to packing it in and looking forward to next year. We'll see if inspiration strikes at some point this evening. 
SocksnStuff View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SocksnStuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2022 at 4:58pm
I’m at the “send to everyone I know to tell me if it’s good or not” stage of the process. For the first time I might have to utilise the beta reader spreadsheet here, I don’t dislike what I have I’m just honestly struggling to judge how, or even if, it can be improved.
MF'21 R2
FF CH1 CH2
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 14>