NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

FF Round 1 - "Top 5" finishers on Master List

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote Pundit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FF Round 1 - "Top 5" finishers on Master List
    Posted: 15 Aug 2022 at 1:26pm
I'm a newbie. Before round 2, I found it very helpful to read highly-ranked stories from the first round. When someone posted, "I can't believe I got first place in my group!" I would click on the link to see if I could figure out what the judges liked and to see what the top writers had done better than I had done.

But my method was hit-and-miss. Once the new assignments were announced, I would have loved a faster way to locate and read a few of the top stories in my genre. Of course, the top 5 finishers in each group are of greatest interest.

It occurs to me that we might be able to use the list of "Top 15 Stories by Group" to compile a guide to the master list of Round 1 FF stories ranked in the top five. Here are the two links:

Only a handful of people seem to use the Master List (it is a little complicated to figure out) so the goal of this post is to identify which Top-5 finishers in each group are available. I am hopeful that more top finishers will post links, too, if they realize that their stories could be helpful to others.

I have created a list with titles of any Top-5 finishers posted in the Master List. Some groups did not make this list: the writers of the Top-5 stories did not post their links in the Master List. (Also - Group 94 was apparently inadvertently omitted from the Master List.) For most groups, between 1 and 4 people posted their stories.

If a writer were searching this list for "good" stories, I think they would be focused on stories in their assigned genre, so I have organized the list under those categories first, then by group number. 

Links, again.
Master List

Top 15 Stories by Group

Action Adventure
23  2nd Countdown to Launch

57  1st Current
   5th Field Trip

63  2nd The Birdcage

115  3rd Holes Deep Enough For Our Sins

Comedy
2  2nd Match Made in Heaven
   5th Firefly

7 1st Diary of a Wimpy Kite

9 2nd A Chat Log with a Lucid Character
  3rd Saturn-Spectacular
  4th Scoops in Space
  5th The Joker

40 2nd The Young'uns
   4th All's Fair in Love and Darts

42 1st Paper Mouths and Fiery Tongues
    3rd Paws to read
   5th Liquid Literature

79 1st Planet Zoo

89  3rd Mother of the Year
   5th Day of Fur Babies

Crime Caper
20  3rd Get a Cue

33  1st The Freeman Job
   3rd The Cat Burglaries

55 1st Selling It
  3rd Things That Went Missing

102  3rd Ratted Out

Drama
3  2nd Bird Strike

34  1st Don't Go Empty Handed

37 1st The Changeling
   3rd Grizzly
   5th The Battle of Queen's Park

44  3rd As Sure As Your Sorrows are Joys
   4th The Decision

Fairy Tale
4  3rd Devil's Woman

10 1st The Acorn and the Mighty Oak
  4th Perpetual Motion Machine
  5th The Heart of the Beholder

22  4th Hush

Fantasy
27  5th The Story Eater

29  3rd A Long Way from Home
   5th Igna

38  1st Nix and Alba

84 2nd Witch
   3rd Weird Fishes
   4th Sweet Melody

93  4th Kind Regards of a Cruel Eye

96  2nd The Light Will Leave You Warmer

Ghost Story

54  1st Double Dare

74 2nd The Last Tattoo

81 1st 2 AM Visitors

108 3rd Marcie In A Blue Dress
  5th Jukebox elegy

117 3rd The Custodian

Historical Fiction
31  5th Innocence

32  4th A Stray Spark

53  2nd The (Once) Great Republic of Rough and Ready
   5th Minutes

109  2nd Ginmomo

111  2nd Corpus
   4th Judgment Day

119  4th Chappy and the Accidental President

Horror
11  3rd Bridezilla
   4th Ted

65  4th Emily's Ascent

66  2nd The Obsidian Keep

72  5th Like Mother

106  2nd What's In the Wood
   4th The Dragon of Ogacaim

Mystery
5  3rd Keeping Score

12  2nd The Dish Keeper
   3rd The Classic Adventures of Ferigazio

15  1st What Would Sherlock Do?

48  1st A requiem for Mrs. Dover
  2nd Detective Toby Tattler

97 3rd At the Heart of it All
   5th The Mysteries of Attraction

114 4th RUTH
   5th Wanted

116 1st Interstitial Spaces
   2nd Swing

Political Satire
71 3rd Dan The Man For Mayor
   4th You Never Know

87 4th Real

99 2nd Accept All Cookies

120 5th Rat Race

Romance
19 4th Blood Moon Magic

21 1st Not With a Bang

41 4th Auto Motive
   5th Love's Sting

49 5th Deli Dallies

88 1st Cable Ties
   2nd Aperture
   3rd The Things We Throw Away

Romantic Comedy
6 4th The Heist

13  1st Fuchsia

26 1st Stalled Momentum
  3rd A Dream Came Untrue
  4th Just the Lift I Needed
  5th The Life Line

45  2nd This is Peak Romance
   4th I Remember My First Beer
   5th Wanna Go For A Beer?

58 2nd Leather
   4th One More Waltz

67 2nd In Cervisia Veritas

75 2nd Candy Crush
   3rd Hanging Around

Sci-Fi
28  4th That's Amore

35 3rd Wanna Bet?

56 1st My Only Sunshine
   4th Ethereal Zoo Breach

59 1st Under the Belt

78 2nd Casserole Dinners

118 1st Vagrant Adacra
   5th The Enemy Sleeps

Spy
16 1st Nikka Drake an the Dragonfly's Blindspot

107 3rd Clear Skies Over Nantong

110 1st The Records Room
   3rd The Art of change
   4th Follow the Leader

Suspense
14  1st Don't Breathe
  2nd Under Pressure
  4th First, Do No Harm

17 1st Preying in the Light
  2nd Eight Minutes to Eagle Tail

73 2nd Bricks

Thriller
68 2nd Unencumbered by Darkness
   5th The Feed

69 3rd Where the Desert Meets the Sea
   4th Kicking and Screaming

83 3rd One More Human Smile
   5th Questions and Answers

Edited by Pundit - 15 Aug 2022 at 8:29pm
Log_Lady View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Log_Lady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2022 at 1:57pm
I love that you're collating this info, thank you! I too like to read stories that posted and placed, to get a better sense of what NYCM judges are looking out for + hopefully absorb some wisdom from the amazing writers in the forum.  
CamsynClair View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote CamsynClair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2022 at 2:11pm
This is INCREDIBLE!! If you want, maybe we can all collaborate on a Google Sheet I setup while waiting for results Thursday night? That way, we'll have the makings of an awesome top-scoring FFC '22 archive for all of eternity that people can save to their own personal Google Drives if they want :)

Pundit View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pundit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2022 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by CamsynClair CamsynClair wrote:

This is INCREDIBLE!! If you want, maybe we can all collaborate on a Google Sheet I setup while waiting for results Thursday night? That way, we'll have the makings of an awesome top-scoring FFC '22 archive for all of eternity that people can save to their own personal Google Drives if they want :)

My turn to say, "Wow!" Your document looks great.

My effort relies on what is already published, for the most part. Your document looks as if it will take a lot more work to compile.

Both efforts would benefit from more people publishing their stories, or making links available. I suspect that some people posted in the forum who did not know how to create a link in the Master List. How can we get more people to participate in the centralized system?
RustyFox View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RustyFox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2022 at 2:54pm
I really love this idea as it can be hard to search out who's stories placed in the top five. I find that I'm often interested in looking at stories that have done well but am unable to find them in one cohesive place. 
Marconimist View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marconimist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2022 at 3:02pm
In group 26 there are also forum threads for 2nd—“Is That an Emotional Support Robot?”, 6th—“Below the Hoffmans”, and 14th—“A Near Life Experience”. There may be others I don’t recall, but I do know that there was a high correlation in our group between those who shared and those who placed.

Edited by Marconimist - 15 Aug 2022 at 3:03pm
Pundit View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pundit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2022 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by Marconimist Marconimist wrote:

In group 26 there are also forum threads for 2nd—“Is That an Emotional Support Robot?”, 6th—“Below the Hoffmans”, and 14th—“A Near Life Experience”. There may be others I don’t recall, but I do know that there was a high correlation in our group between those who shared and those who placed.

I am focusing on the top 5 in each group.

If you can show me where to find it, I would love to have a link to the 2nd place finisher, "Is That an Emotional Support Robot?" I didn't see it in the master list.

If I could add that to the 26 group, this would make all five top-finishers available for that group. I expect this could be really helpful for people trying to understand the fine distinctions that separate a first-place finish from a second-, third-, fourth or fifth-place finish. (As well as exposing, perhaps, the things that don't prevent a story from securing a good rank.)
taaaylor View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote taaaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2022 at 4:13pm
Searching tip: you can go to the search page and search for a particular word or phrase from a group. I like to select show as threads, as it's easier to sort at a glance. It won't catch absolutely everyone, but it does catch anyone who lists their prompt in their thread :)

SSC R1
250 Micro R2

SSC 2021 winner
Marconimist View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marconimist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2022 at 4:14pm
Originally posted by Pundit Pundit wrote:

Originally posted by Marconimist Marconimist wrote:

I am focusing on the top 5 in each group.

If you can show me where to find it, I would love to have a link to the 2nd place finisher, "Is That an Emotional Support Robot?" I didn't see it in the master list.

If I could add that to the 26 group, this would make all five top-finishers available for that group. I expect this could be really helpful for people trying to understand the fine distinctions that separate a first-place finish from a second-, third-, fourth or fifth-place finish. (As well as exposing, perhaps, the things that don't prevent a story from securing a good rank.)

I don’t think you’ll find any fine distinctions between the top-ranking stories besides what the judges happened to fancy at a given moment, but you should be able to glean what elevates a top-ranking story from one that didn’t do as well.
Vernacula View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Vernacula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2022 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by Pundit Pundit wrote:

Both efforts would benefit from more people publishing their stories, or making links available. I suspect that some people posted in the forum who did not know how to create a link in the Master List. How can we get more people to participate in the centralized system?

In the past when people have struggled to set up their story thread, what I've done is ask them to set a temporary password, give it to me, and then I go in and create their page and sig line links for them. Then they can change their password back after. I don't have access to any personal info that way, and since I am really familiar with forums I really don't mind helping out.

Perhaps a small group of other volunteers could assist people this way? And if not, if anyone sees this and needs help, please feel free to shoot me a message!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>