NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

FF "object" clarification

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FF "object" clarification
    Posted: 14 Aug 2022 at 3:22pm
So if my object is "safety vest" and I specifically mention an "orange, hi-vis vest" that a volunteer officer is wearing... will that count? 

Should I call it a safety vest instead of a hi-vis vest? Does everyone think of the same thing when they hear those two terms? (the fluorescent orange criss-crossy thing with black buckles that road workers and crossing guards wear?

Oh god it's getting late.....
Jennk View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2022 at 3:36pm
To me it is obvious that you are describing a safety vest, so I think that would be fine BUT I don't know for sure. That said, I got security camera and originally referred to it as a surveillance camera. I changed it to the exact wording, just in case!

More importantly, is the safety vest semi-important to the story? If you only mention that someone is wearing one, that might not be enough.

Good luck!
TeeHi View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeeHi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2022 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by jhenn jhenn wrote:

So if my object is "safety vest" and I specifically mention an "orange, hi-vis vest" that a volunteer officer is wearing... will that count? 

Should I call it a safety vest instead of a hi-vis vest? Does everyone think of the same thing when they hear those two terms? (the fluorescent orange criss-crossy thing with black buckles that road workers and crossing guards wear?

Oh god it's getting late.....

I've never heard of a hi-vis vest, but that could just be me. Still, unless you have a reason for wanting to call it that, you may wanna go with "safety vest" to be safe, pun intended, Tongue

Edited by TeeHi - 14 Aug 2022 at 3:40pm
CLRosser View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLRosser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2022 at 4:08pm
Personally, I would err on the side of caution and use the exact wording.  It would suck to be DQ'd simply because a particular judge doesn't understand that they're the same thing.  I used the exact wording with mine for that very reason, even though it reads a bit clumsy.  
Zero11 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zero11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2022 at 4:10pm
Isn't it the "object" and not the wording?  This isn't 100 Word MF.  

But I would clarify in your story that it is for safety.
jennifer.quail View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jennifer.quail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2022 at 4:46pm
My location in round one was "a chair lift" and I turned it into a breeches buoy, and came in fifth. I think that's way farther off than changing the term used for the same item. Heck, I'd say anything that's a vest used for safety purposes (I'd probably have gone for a crash vest for horseback riding, for that matter) is a 'safety vest.'
Dark&StormyNight View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dark&StormyNight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2022 at 4:53pm
As far as the object’s importance, the rules say it only has to appear in the story. I honestly don’t know if judges award any extra points when it plays an important role, but my highest scoring FF story only mentioned the object briefly.
Jennk View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2022 at 1:09am

Edited by Jennk - 16 Aug 2022 at 1:11am
Jennk View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2022 at 1:10am
Originally posted by Dark&StormyNight Dark&StormyNight wrote:

As far as the object’s importance, the rules say it only has to appear in the story. I honestly don’t know if judges award any extra points when it plays an important role, but my highest scoring FF story only mentioned the object briefly.

Thanks for clarifying. I guess I was thinking about the location, which seems to be of greater significance (as much of the story needs to take place there). 
BobbieJ View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobbieJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2022 at 10:36am
I know your question came during the writing period, so this may not be helpful now, but in the first round, my object was an air pump and I just had one of my characters using a fireplace bellow (that thing you squeeze), and that counted, so I think any type of vest that's clearly worn for safety purposes seems like it would fit the bill. Good luck!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>