NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fellow overwriters: how much did you cut?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djsaether Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2020 at 7:26pm
First round was just under 1000, so nothing to cut, although I edited it a lot and it would tip over 1000 and then I'd bring it back down.

Second round was like 1400 words.  It was really tough cutting it down, and I don't think the story is as good as it would have been at even 1200 words...
jimiflan2 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimiflan2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2020 at 2:33pm
My normal process is to write way to much and edit down to the bones. this round 2 story ended up being 1500 words and then edited down to 997. I really surprised myself in the first round where my first draft came in at about 800 words, eventually added more details for clarity and ended with 865.

I would really try to avoid writing a draft that comes in at 1000 and think... well thats done. I could probably edit that down to a really neat and concise 700 or 800 words, and it would be better for it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic