NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Feedback

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910>
Author
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lex Pearson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2018 at 10:32pm
Ugh. Feedback. At this point I only do this competition for the discipline, because I find the feedback so contradictory and generally unhelpful. It's almost always along the lines of "Oh I wish you had added THIS to the story...." Me too buddy, me too, but I had to cut it because I've only got 1000 words, and if I kept it in, I would have had to cut that one thing you really liked. Ugh. Super frustrating.  The criticism was pretty on point this time around, except one judge was really incensed by a single typo: "headless" instead of "heedless." Like, I know it's a typo but if that's really the worst thing about my story....  
Sponsored Links

AllyM84 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllyM84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2018 at 10:57pm
Gotcha! I think I was thinking of something else I participate in. Thanks for clearing that up and good for you for attempting that, seems like a daunting task!
BeckyG515 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeckyG515 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2018 at 11:03pm
My feedback was pretty positive. However, there were two paragraphs regarding my egregious misplacement of my single comma. Oh the horror! Shocked Judges comments included typos to boot. 

Edited by BeckyG515 - 13 Sep 2018 at 11:05pm
Ch2 Gr67
Life After
Tizeal View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tizeal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 2:30pm
My feedback was much the same - lots of really glowing i loved the twist, it was hilarious great use of the fairytale structure - other super lovely things and then followed up with describe more of this, set the scene more, have more dialogue! Yeah sure buddy, I will, if you give me another 500 words to play with! it was mostly spot on from two of the judges constructive if impractical for 1000 words, yes it would have been better if it'd had more of those things but I pretty much would have had to cut the actual narrative to do it! The other judge however might have been trying to set a new benchmark for lack of effort.
hanalyst View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hanalyst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 2:47pm
My feedback was mostly helpful ("show characters' motivations more" etc), except for one guy who said "I don't understand why the girl is on the scavenger hunt."

At that point I just wanted to stick up my writer-nose and say WELL EVERYONE ELSE UNDERSTOOD SO THAT SOUNDS LIKE A PERSONAL PROBLEM.
R1G28 (14 points): Overdue
R2G28: Line of Sight
TammyB View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TammyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by thebrokegamer thebrokegamer wrote:

I got some great feedback. It's got me generating new ideas for the next draft already! Though one of the judges clearly didn't catch that it was a murder mystery, considering they suggested cutting the culprit altogether...

Say what? That’s just wacky. I got enough good feedback that i think it will help this weekend as well as fleshing out this story for another contest with a bigger word count
CH1 GRP52 BURIED IN LOVE (3 points!)
I refuse to just exist. I want to live life. Write on!
TammyB View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TammyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by uglypantsuit uglypantsuit wrote:

Given I scored 15 points, I won't argue with the judges. ;) But I do appreciate the feedback and thought it was constructive and understand their critiques. 

The judges all had the same criticism -- that I didn't make the connection between the murder victims and the killer strong enough. Given the word count and the genre (thriller), I sacrificed the detail and logic of the cop main character uncovering the murders in favour of building atmosphere and psychological tension, and exploring her relationship with said killer (who was her dad). As a gamble, it paid off. There are a couple of little points I don't necessarily agree with, but that just shows I need to be more clear in future versions of this story.

Better criticism than i got last year, to be honest. 

I had a similar issue. They told me to show more feelings (Understood), why the main character was in love the a prostitute (because he just loved a stranger from afar, do they not get people do this?). I had a 3rd judge who said they could not suspend disbelief or understand why he would want her for the whole night, even though everyone who read it had no problem. Obviously never saw Pretty Woman.
CH1 GRP52 BURIED IN LOVE (3 points!)
I refuse to just exist. I want to live life. Write on!
The.Black.Violet View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Black.Violet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 8:38pm
Originally posted by barnabypage barnabypage wrote:

That has included feedback containing grammatical errors which criticised non-existent grammatical errors of mine (!), and constant requests for every single detail of motivation and background to be spelled out very, very explicitly.

To a large extent I don't really worry about it any more, and I do NYCM mostly for the discipline and the fun of the forums. It took me a while, but I've figured out that the judges here have no time for ambiguity or leaving things hinted-at-yet-unsaid, which is exactly the way I want to write.

Having said all that...this time I think they were quite right - they pinned down what I already knew was fundamentally wrong with my story.

I was wondering about this. While I received some useful points, I've noticed the judges don't care for much subtlety. They told me they wanted me to spell it out, and looking at the top stories in my group (which were wonderful), it definitely seems that they want the characters to state "This is what I'm thinking!" more than I'd like it to... show, don't tell, you know? 
Read my FFC-2 story An Audience with Atoms
OR
My FFC-1 story Love in a Dangerous Time
melakee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melakee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 8:58pm
My feedback was good and fairly helpful. Though, I confused by some of it. Like, one judge said my story was overthought and overdeveloped. I'm not really sure what that means and would appreciate any answers you all could give me. 
I got Rom-Com, which definitely isn't my genre but I went with it and was actually pretty proud of myself. But yeah, it was maybe a little too...dark for rom-com. Oh well. I'll take my two points and try again. (: 

barnabypage View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barnabypage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 9:40pm
Originally posted by The.Black.Violet The.Black.Violet wrote:

Originally posted by barnabypage barnabypage wrote:

That has included feedback containing grammatical errors which criticised non-existent grammatical errors of mine (!), and constant requests for every single detail of motivation and background to be spelled out very, very explicitly.

To a large extent I don't really worry about it any more, and I do NYCM mostly for the discipline and the fun of the forums. It took me a while, but I've figured out that the judges here have no time for ambiguity or leaving things hinted-at-yet-unsaid, which is exactly the way I want to write.

Having said all that...this time I think they were quite right - they pinned down what I already knew was fundamentally wrong with my story.

I was wondering about this. While I received some useful points, I've noticed the judges don't care for much subtlety. They told me they wanted me to spell it out, and looking at the top stories in my group (which were wonderful), it definitely seems that they want the characters to state "This is what I'm thinking!" more than I'd like it to... show, don't tell, you know? 

Yep. And it can get to ridiculous extremes: your character is afraid of flying (imaginary example), and the feedback includes "it would have helped if you told us WHY he is afraid of flying".

Sometimes things just are, and I think it's a bit pointless to question the basic premises of any fiction, unless the premises are inherently implausible.

Having said which: some feedback is very good and thoughtful and helpful. It's just that the quality of the judges differs.

And in any case, I think it's evident from this thread that most people agree: what is really important is the writing and the forums, not the official feedback.

So carry on showing rather than telling. :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910>
  Share Topic