NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Feedback is Upon Us!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KelsNotChels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by robosagogo robosagogo wrote:

Originally posted by KelsNotChels KelsNotChels wrote:

One judge said they didn’t buy that a frisbee to the throat could kill someone... but, like, it’s science, and it 1000% could. So... πŸ€·πŸΌβ€β™€οΈπŸ€·πŸΌβ€β™€οΈπŸ€·πŸΌβ€β™€οΈπŸ€·πŸΌβ€β™€οΈπŸ€·πŸΌβ€β™€οΈ

Exaaaactlyyyyy. (I definitely watched this scene during research. It’s a masterpiece.) πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
Sponsored Links

KJHunter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KJHunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by sdre017 sdre017 wrote:

I didn't know about 1807's rep, but I thought one of my judge's feedback was a bit... unhelpful, and looking at it again, it's from 1807!

This is what they gave me: 'While I admire the thought behind the reversal at the end, I can't help but wonder why your protagonist took the long road to interviewing the subject. Is it possible that he overcomplicated his task? I found it curious that this guy (whomever he is and whatever his job may be) assumed that the female candidate (for what I'm guessing is an espionage job) would "be  fearful...panic,  or  cry." If he has such low expectations (not to mention poor instincts), why did he go to such excessive lengths to see if she has what it takes? Since you've written this piece from the guy's first-person P.O.V., I would suggest adding little aside along the way that subtly cue us in to his role behind the scenes; little internal comments that indicate he knows more than he's letting on. That way, when the reader reaches the end, they will experience a conclusion that is EQUALLY surprising AND inevitable.'

So basically, nothing that really helps me in terms of how I write, just more of an opinion of the actual story. the 'long road' to interviewing the subject? Because that's how 'the corporation' in my story do their interviews. Plus it would completely derail the whole story to change it. Same with the next comment about my protagonist having 'poor instincts' and 'low expectations' when I think that the reaction of the candidate to be fearful is totally understandable when you're being abducted! As for the 'subtle hints' - there are subtle hints in the fact that he doesn't really have much of a reaction, just gets on with it - but they must have been too subtle because the judge missed them. If they were any more obvious, it would detract from the OMG ending completely - it's near impossible to be EQUALLY surprising and inevitable.

Interesting. I didn't know about it either. But I got 1807 as well. And while that judge had some EXTREMELY nice things to say in the positive side, this is what they said that thoroughly confused me. Apparently the central "horrific" character, the one the story is named for... is unnecessary? So weird. The peer reviews seemed to like the ending. But what do I know. So I guess now I understand a little about 1807's infamy.

{1807}  While the quality and form of the writing is impressive, the content is lacking a plot that generated urgency and suspense. I appreciate the focus of the prose but I was never completely engrossed or sucked into the narrative, which is a shame because I can tell you have formidable talent as a storyteller. My biggest concern with the spine of this narrative was the dawning recognition that I was reading a story where anything could happen, and in a story where anything can happen (with some exceptions) the stakes are relatively low. Is it unfair of me to be disappointed by the appearance (and disappearance and reappearance and...) of a blood monster? This genre has plenty of room for phantasmagorical imagery, but this particular choice felt unmotivated and indeterminate. And I'm not even sure you needed that figure/character. Powerful, intelligent craftsmanship, in my opinion, can only generate so much interest; suspense is necessary and it's an important element of this genre. The ending, for me, was a non-event. Excellent endings must be equally surprising and inevitable.
Ch#1 GR82 Shuttling Secrets
Ch#2 GR82 The Man of Blood
beadbalm View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beadbalm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 4:03pm
5 lines of what they liked...and 12 of what they didn't. I agree with a person above, if I had seen the comments first, I never would have known I scored an 11. It was pretty macabre though...I get that it won't be for everyone! PS it doesn't carry a candle to some of the Grimm stories though. Yikes!

Edited by beadbalm - 08 Nov 2018 at 4:06pm
emilymyoga View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emilymyoga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 4:38pm
I found my feedback straightforward, but definitely less helpful than the forums. In some ways, it seemed less nitpicky than my feedback from the first round where I scored higher. I wish we could know a bit more about how the judges determine the rankings. Based on the feedback I got this round, it seems like the judges thought I wrote a fairly solid story but they weren't particularly wowed by it (I scored 11)? One judge said "The story went up a few notches because of the sentence 'All Mom did was cry.' " Which at first made me think that my story would have scored lower without that line..? I think I misunderstood the comment, but who knows! The judging process makes no sense to me. Tongue
FF CH1: The Magician's Wife (14 pts)
FF CH2: What Sisters Do (11 pts)
FF CH3: Heaving Upward
jennifer.quail View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jennifer.quail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 5:42pm
It was pretty much useless, as usual. Positive feedback was less thoughtful than forum responses. Negative was basically "useless" or actively wrong. 1601 gets special mention for thinking that archetypes should be capitalized (no, "wizard" should not be capitalized and even a cursory skim of the very professionally edited Harry Potter books would demonstrate that, and the only time "Sorcerer's Apprentice" should be capitalized is if it's referring to either the musical piece or the cartoon) and apparently 1816 finds "Avice Ulriksdatter' too difficult a name for readers (not only does that suggest they should stay away from reading anything by or about Scandinavians, I'm honestly not sure how I could dumb this down any farther and not be early-grade level. This isn't Umberto Eco.)  Someone has trouble understanding that a mob on the doorstep does not LITERALLY MEAN standing on the stoop. 

Seriously, every last bit of forum feedback demonstrates better *basic reading skills* than the judges! 
R1 Intruder Alert 13pt
R2 Apples to Apples 8pt
R3 GhostLife
vettiem View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vettiem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 5:56pm
I felt my feedback was helpful.
Posted it on my story page in case it is helpful for anyone else that has comedy next round!
QuackedDuckie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote QuackedDuckie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 6:17pm
Most of my feedback said things I already knew, but it was still great to hear they agreed with my assessment. One even gave a thought provoking thing to address if I do decide to expand it to a longer story. It was a great learning experience - one that taught me my story ideas tend to be too big for 1000 words.  lol
CH2,GR90: The Virtual One

CH1, GR90: Dreams
chrissie0707 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrissie0707 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 6:23pm
Soooo a heatmate of mine posted their feedback and I checked it out, and one of the judges literally wrote the same critique for both of our stories. Which means likely more. Now I'm a little irritated. Not going to call the judge out here by number. Like my dad always taught me, you tell the waiter how their service was with the tip you leave, not by making a scene with the manager.

Edited by chrissie0707 - 08 Nov 2018 at 6:24pm
FFCCH3 - The Medora
FFCCH2 - Friendly Ben 15pts
FFCCH1 - Once in a Millennial 12pts
chrissie0707 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrissie0707 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by chrissie0707 chrissie0707 wrote:

Soooo a heatmate of mine posted their feedback and I checked it out, and one of the judges literally wrote the same critique for both of our stories. Which means likely more. Now I'm a little irritated. Not going to call the judge out here by number. Like my dad always taught me, you tell the waiter how their service was with the tip you leave, not by making a scene with the manager.

Scratch that. Wasn't just in my heat. It's the same critique throughout multiple heats.
FFCCH3 - The Medora
FFCCH2 - Friendly Ben 15pts
FFCCH1 - Once in a Millennial 12pts
milesmum View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote milesmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 6:37pm
Report that judge! Use the feedback link that is supplied with your feedback!

This is not the first time judges have gotten lazy and just cut and pasted the same comments on everyone's feedback. For the sake of all of us, and NYCM admin, REPORT THIS! In fact, a few years ago, a judge was doing exactly the same thing, and a bunch of us got together and compared notes, and it wasn't hard to prove what was happening. We raised enough of a stink that they instituted the judge feedback to stop it from happening again.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic