NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Feedback is Upon Us!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeaWithWolves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Feedback is Upon Us!
    Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 1:10pm
Got my feedback email and thought I'd give people a heads up!

How does everyone feel about what was said?
Mine was quite helpful and has given me some things to think about in regards to my character's and their personalities!

Edited by TeaWithWolves - 08 Nov 2018 at 1:12pm
SSC CH1: Swansong
FFC CH3: An Eye for Trouble
Sponsored Links

wateringcan View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wateringcan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 1:16pm
Yep, got mine through and have added it to my post in the forum (Linked in signature). 

I didn't feel there was quite enough detail to really give me much of anything constructive to go off. There were a couple of points I thought have the potential to be helpful, but with only one sentence to try and figure out what they mean it's a bit vague.

Bit disappointed to see the usual: questions that I already answered in the story. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and say this could be that I wasn't clear enough, but I'm feeling more bitter than usual because I got overwhelmingly positive feedback on this one from readers on the forum! 

Having said that, this was a really useful exercise for me and I'm really glad some people here enjoyed what I'd written. I think it's probably just hit my confidence because if I disagree with the judges I start doubting the value of my own opinion .... but I'll get over that!!!

There were quite a few surprises for me among the results (I mean - other people's results) so I'm looking forward to reading everyone's feedback this time around.
nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 1:27pm
One judge definitely didn't seem to be a scifi fan, didn't understand something that is a pretty common tech in the genre. In fact, the tech isn't even future-y. 

Other than that, I can't really complain. 
FFC3 Anomaly
KJHunter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KJHunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 1:30pm
I also updated my post with feedback and will reiterate some of my thoughts here.

I felt the feedback on this round was more helpful/valuable than what I received on the first round. Well, one judge in particular seemed to take a more thoughtful approach and I found it useful. They seemed to hit on an aspect of my writing style that I continue to encounter in many of my pieces. To wit, the writing itself is great but the plot is lacking. Hmmm. Sooo... yeah. I mean. I need to really start exploring how to keep driving my story forward and not just focus on all the pretty words. :)

So yeah, ultimately helpful because it served to underscore an already known issue.

All that said, I think generally speaking, for what we pay here and the supposed level of the competition--I feel a little cheated when a judge only offers one or two sentences. The peer reviews in general are far more robust. I know they have a million stories to read, but you know - the feedback is an advertised element of this competition and I would prefer to see all of the judges critique by the same standards. (If the other two judges were as thorough as one of them was, I'd feel like I got my money's worth)
Ch#1 GR82 Shuttling Secrets
Ch#2 GR82 The Man of Blood
Nic6879 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nic6879 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 1:36pm
One of my judges {1883} seemed really into the story and the task of judging in general - lots of details pulled from the story that he/she liked, added thoughts, also lots of ideas or thoughts on improvements, even with little things - very helpful.
And then there's the one that writes only one or two very general sentences, and contradicts him/herself between 'like' and 'dislike' lol.

Overall, not too bad. (I've added the feedback to my forum post; link in signature).
FCC18 Ch3 Gr15: Fool Me Once
Ch2
Ch1
KJHunter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KJHunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 1:45pm
Do we know how many judges there actually are? Is each group assigned a different set of judges? I'm not sure I ever read anything other than "they're anonymous."
Ch#1 GR82 Shuttling Secrets
Ch#2 GR82 The Man of Blood
DawnVogel View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DawnVogel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 1:45pm
Pretty much all of my negative feedback suggested things that were not included in the story due to word count constraints, and things that are really not relevant to the plot. I appreciate the feedback for expanding the story (which I planned to do already), but I hate getting dinged for not including things that there were not room for. :(
FF2018 CH1: Strange Bedfellows
FF2018 Ch2: Hearts in Motion
manifestlynot View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manifestlynot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 1:51pm
My feedback was very good but also very conflicting. Very kind words by all, but two judges thought I took it too far, while the third thought I didn’t take it far enough. Can’t please em all! LOL
SSC R1, Ch1: Alveare Regina
FF R3: More Than Meets The Eye
2018 Screenplay Contest Finals: 4th place
TheDustyZebra View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDustyZebra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by wateringcan wateringcan wrote:

Bit disappointed to see the usual: questions that I already answered in the story. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and say this could be that I wasn't clear enough, but I'm feeling more bitter than usual because I got overwhelmingly positive feedback on this one from readers on the forum! 

I am so there with you on this. Precisely.
KelsNotChels View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KelsNotChels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 1:54pm
One judge said they didn’t buy that a frisbee to the throat could kill someone... but, like, it’s science, and it 1000% could. So... 🤷🏼‍♀️🤷🏼‍♀️🤷🏼‍♀️🤷🏼‍♀️🤷🏼‍♀️
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic