NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Feedback from the lowly folk

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Talespinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2018 at 10:14am
Originally posted by beckyrcollins beckyrcollins wrote:

Right. This has caused me far more worry than I'm sure was ever necessary. Time to post Embarrassed

How does everyone feel about receiving feedback in rounds 2 & 3 from people who didn't make it that far? Obviously the amount of activity on pieces dwindles with every round, but I'm not sure if that's due to people's interest dropping or because it's the done thing to do to bow out and no longer comment on work if you're 'out' of the competition.

Thoughts? Is there any truth to the above? And is it different per competition? I feel I've been withholding comments when really I just wanna say good job with the thing.
Your feedback on my little story, Becky, was invaluable, and has helped me turn it into something I'm pleased with. In the unlikely event that I should make it into round 3 (I think everyone in flash fiction makes it into round 2) and should you not make it (also unlikely) I'd value your feedback anyhow. In return, I'd offer feedback if you want it on the rework of The Builders of Threadneedle Street, or your current short WIP.

But please don't think negatively of yourself: there's a certain something to your writing which is engaging. The judges would be mistaken, methinks, to drop you too early.

Sponsored Links

beckyrcollins View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beckyrcollins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2018 at 11:08am
Thanks Talespinner. I know not to have any expectations re. the judging, but it's nice to know you have faith in my Threadneedle builders! I'm a-okay on the negativity front. I know writing sometimes hits and sometimes misses, no biggie. It was just overstaying my welcome on the forums once knocked out that worried me! 
FF18 R1 G23 The Builders of Threadneedle Steet (hist fic)
KJHunter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote KJHunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2018 at 11:51am
This is my first time here with NYCM, but I do have an opinion about this... I feel like whether we make it to the next round or not, we are all also readers with valid opinions and input. I mean it seems like the competition here is stiff. That doesn't mean that people who don't make it through all of the different rounds are bad writers, or that their feedback wouldn't be helpful or valuable.

*IF* I make it through, and that's a big IF because this next challenge weekend will be super crazy for me and it will be a miracle if I'm even able to get a story submitted, then I would want feedback from anyone regardless of where they stand in the competition.

JMO

**OH wait... I just realized which subforum I was in. Whoopsie!! Sorry screenwriters! I'm doing the FFC and have never written a screenplay in my life. But I'll leave my comment because I think it still stands.
LOLConfused

Edited by KJHunter - 03 Aug 2018 at 11:53am
Ch#1 GR82 Shuttling Secrets
Tim G View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2018 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by KJHunter KJHunter wrote:

**OH wait... I just realized which subforum I was in. Whoopsie!! Sorry screenwriters! I'm doing the FFC and have never written a screenplay in my life. But I'll leave my comment because I think it still stands.
LOLConfused

That's OK, we all agree with you that anyone can comment on anything so pop upstream to the R3 thread and check out some of our scripts, we're all suffering from everyone-who's-gonna-critique-has-critiqued withdrawal syndrome :)

PS a few are on page 2 #justsaying
R1 Flash Fiction: Sir Simon the Bold (Comedy)
R3 (Final) Screenplay: Peace (Open Genre)
lisafox10800 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lisafox10800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2018 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by beckyrcollins beckyrcollins wrote:

Thanks all. My head needs to chill LOL xxx

Not at all. I posted EXACTLY the same question in my first NYCM. 
dias View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dias Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2018 at 3:38pm
Just to echo what everyone else is saying...would absolutely welcome your feedback Becky, especially as your FFC feedback was so useful! And obviously that goes for anyone else Smile

I’m also guilty of dropping off the forums once I’m out of the contest, but I think it’s pretty awesome when people stay engaged with it all and something I’d like to get better at myself. 
Collins50 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Collins50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2018 at 12:29pm
In my humble opinion....

No one is lowly, just a few get “lucky” with the judging rounds. If (and it’s a mysteriously ominous IF) I move on, then there is no judgement of my readers.  To be honest, the readers decide the quality of your writing and are the highest authority on whether or not a piece is good writing or not. :-) 
Round 1 Beyond The Light
Join a Writing Group!
Writing Around The Block
https://bit.ly/2ve2RMj
JeffreyHowe View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeffreyHowe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2018 at 4:06pm
I appreciate feedback from anyone here at any stage. And now that I've finished contest reading and polished up that irksome feature script, I am going to return some favors. Smile
SC2018 R3 (drama) Bottled Up
SC2018 R2 H10 Wait For It
SC2018 R1 H19 Opportunity Knox
GregSisco View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregSisco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2018 at 12:50am
Much like everyone else here, I'm always thankful to hear somebody's opinion, whoever that person is and whatever the opinion.

-Greg
NYCNewbie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NYCNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2018 at 9:46am

Stress not Becky. I've only been involved since January and have frequently described this place as one of the warmest places on the planet.

We are all a community here, a family who support each other and I have been gutted when friends and superb writers and stories didn't progress, but been overwhelmed by support in beta or emails that have talked me off the ledge!

When someone from a previous round pops by to offer feedback or congratulations, it warms my heart and all feedback is welcome. I feel particularly humbled by those that have stuck with me and been interested enough to see what garbage I churned out!

And I know you don't mean it to sound patronising, but I consider myself 'one of the lowly folk' if there is such a thing.....which there isn't

Paula x

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic