NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Feedback for Short Screenplay Round 1

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenmatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 9:32am
Originally posted by BarbaraFL BarbaraFL wrote:

I hope I got some points! I am not picky as to how many. In Flash challenge 1 I got no points, and I felt traumatized LOL

It can be hard when that happens. I've gotten that a few times and it's an "OUCH!" moment for sure. I don't think it was necessarily that the story wasn't good. Sometimes the judges are looking for something that I just didn't provide--even though the story is sale-able and enjoyable.
FFC2019 C3 G01 | Moonstone Madness
SSP2019 C1 G20 | Doesn't Have the Range
BarbaraFL View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarbaraFL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by stephenmatlock stephenmatlock wrote:

I hope I got some points! I am not picky as to how many. In Flash challenge 1 I got no points, and I felt traumatized LOL

It can be hard when that happens. I've gotten that a few times and it's an "OUCH!" moment for sure. I don't think it was necessarily that the story wasn't good. Sometimes the judges are looking for something that I just didn't provide--even though the story is sale-able and enjoyable.

Yes, thank you! I just wasn't used to the scoring system and it oddly just had more negative impact than not making the top 10 or 15 would have, if specifically worded that way. I held a pity party and got past it, lol.
Ingybobingy View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ingybobingy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 5:05pm
So, there was an actual form with zeros?
Or, simply not filled in?
Do you get a form back regardless?

I'm a newbie.
Thanks
Short Screenplay Challenge 1/Romance =
https://bit.ly/2IWGMbY
https://forums.nycmidnight.com/ch1gr8-one-way-forward-romance_topic24402.html
stephenmatlock View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenmatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 5:10pm
Originally posted by Ingybobingy Ingybobingy wrote:

So, there was an actual form with zeros?
Or, simply not filled in?
Do you get a form back regardless?

I'm a newbie.
Thanks

Literal feedback is usually from three anonymous judges, identified only by their number. They each give you a section on what worked and on what didn't work. Most of the time you get workable suggestions for changes/improvements, but always reserve judgment--it's your story, and you can receive the feedback as a sign that you might need improvement, but not what they say has to be improved with specific ideas.

The scoring is separate, and you get that a day or so before the feedback. In each round the top entries get a score, usually from 15 (highest) to 1 (lowest). Everyone else, no matter what, simply does not receive a score, with is the equivalent of a zero. In certain rounds, the top X (10 or 5) get a score, and the runner up gets an HM (Honorable Mention), which is like a zero but with glitter.

Take the score with a grain of salt. Sometimes it's a matter of just personal preference whether something is a 15 or a 14, or even a 1 vs. an HM.

It's just feedback and scores. Don't take it to mean anything about you, or whether the story itself is good or no good. My top scoring entries have almost all been unsellable (except for my short story, which got picked up at the first place I tried).

Best of luck!
FFC2019 C3 G01 | Moonstone Madness
SSP2019 C1 G20 | Doesn't Have the Range
AnnaO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnnaO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 5:47pm
So if you don't get top 15 you just don't hear today?
Maiasatara View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maiasatara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 6:06pm
Originally posted by AnnaO AnnaO wrote:

Hi Anna,

Everybody hears today (hopefully - I posted earlier in this thread about delays.) So we are all still listed by group number and then within each group number they rank the top 15 people with a score like this:
Group 1 - Drama - Porta-potty - Expensive Watch
Bob Smith - 1st place - 15 points
Jane Klein - 2nd place - 14 points 

And so on with EVERYONE in the group listed. If your rank was lower than 15th place your score is a Zero. So if 40 people are in each group, 25 people have a score of 0 going into Challenge 2. 

Check out the Results section in MicroFiction Challenge to see the format. I just saw there, however, they only showed the top 15 in each plus a few Honorable Mentions (so positions 16, 17, 18 are listed even though no points were earned. 

Now this weekend we write again. The scores from BOTH CHALLENGES get added together to determine the top 5 writers who get to move on. 
Bob Smith - 15 points might get 3 points in round 2 for a total of 18 points. Depending how everyone shuffles out that 18 points may or may not be in the top 5 WITHIN HIS GROUP. I have seen groups where you need 25 points to be top 5 and others where 16 points total qualifies. 

Hope this helps!
NilesPerry View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NilesPerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 6:54pm
Originally posted by Maiasatara Maiasatara wrote:

Originally posted by AnnaO AnnaO wrote:

Hi Anna,

Everybody hears today (hopefully - I posted earlier in this thread about delays.) So we are all still listed by group number and then within each group number they rank the top 15 people with a score like this:
Group 1 - Drama - Porta-potty - Expensive Watch
Bob Smith - 1st place - 15 points
Jane Klein - 2nd place - 14 points 

And so on with EVERYONE in the group listed. If your rank was lower than 15th place your score is a Zero. So if 40 people are in each group, 25 people have a score of 0 going into Challenge 2. 

Check out the Results section in MicroFiction Challenge to see the format. I just saw there, however, they only showed the top 15 in each plus a few Honorable Mentions (so positions 16, 17, 18 are listed even though no points were earned. 

Now this weekend we write again. The scores from BOTH CHALLENGES get added together to determine the top 5 writers who get to move on. 
Bob Smith - 15 points might get 3 points in round 2 for a total of 18 points. Depending how everyone shuffles out that 18 points may or may not be in the top 5 WITHIN HIS GROUP. I have seen groups where you need 25 points to be top 5 and others where 16 points total qualifies. 

Hope this helps!
There have been cases in the past where a writer received a zero (or no score) in the 1st Challenge and got a 15 in the 2nd and moved on to the 3rd with a combined total score of 15. I think I've seen that happen once since 2014. It's not unusual to score low, then high and still have a combined score that propels you on. Just depends on the scores of everyone else. (S)he who scores 15 this challenge could very well score a 2 in the next, giving them just 17 total points. (S)he who scores a 1 this challenge could get a 15 in the next. Like Stephen said, the judging is highly subjective and based on what the judges do and don't like. There's never been a sure-fire formula for what scores high and what doesn't.

Edited by NilesPerry - 04 Dec 2019 at 6:55pm
jenethkay13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jenethkay13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 7:26pm
So basically this is just like being back in creative writing class in college. The grade “matters” but your professor might not like your particular story, resulting in a lower grade. 

I hate that the scores haven’t come in yet. I’ve never done anything like this, so I’m anxious to see how I did. And yes, I’ve been looking throughout the day, even though I swore I would stop.

There. I just did it again. Still nothing. 🤷‍♀️😂
katniss2107 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katniss2107 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 8:28pm
Thanks everyone for all the input! It's really helpful to get a good idea of how things go from people who have participated. Good luck to all!
JT
Charlie272 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie272 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 2:26am

How’s about a baker’s dozen?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic