NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Feedback for second challenge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheddarbaked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 11:52am
Pregnancy played a key role in my story, and since I've never been pregnant, I relied on secondhand accounts to describe the symptoms. A couple people on the forums told me my rendition was accurate, but one of the judges said they thought the protagonist had "the bends" and that they "didn't assume pregnancy at all." Go figure. Another judge remarked that I didn't describe the appearance of my secondary characters enough. Are...are they aware we have a 1000 word limit? Tongue

On the other hand, I 100% agreed with the critique that parts of the story were too expository. I doubt I'll try to sell this story anywhere since it's on the weird side, but if I were to revise and expand it, that would definitely be something to address.

Edited by cheddarbaked - 08 Nov 2019 at 11:55am
FFC 2019 CH1 G122: Turn Your Eyes Away - 15 pts
FFC 2019 CH2 G122: Misconception - 15 pts
dennymike View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennymike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by cheddarbaked cheddarbaked wrote:

Are...are they aware we have a 1000 word limit? Tongue

Yeah, this is what I wonder too. I was at 997 words and they wanted me to develop the scene more and "create a sense of impending doom." I already cut down from 1400 words. How can I create an sense of impending doom with 3 words?  "It was scary." There.

Overall, their feedback was positive and helpful. In the first round I was light on the character building and heavy on scene, the second round it seemed I swapped. I need to find that happy medium...in 1,000 words. I feel like I got more/better feedback from the judges this round, but I didn't have a whole lot of responses in the forum for this one so it could just be that.
Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 12:10pm

Pregnancy played a key role in my story, and since I've never been pregnant, I relied on secondhand accounts to describe the symptoms. A couple people on the forums told me my rendition was accurate, but one of the judges said they thought the protagonist had "the bends" and that they "didn't assume pregnancy at all." Go figure. Another judge remarked that I didn't describe the appearance of my secondary characters enough. Are...are they aware we have a 1000 word limit? Tongue

On the other hand, I 100% agreed with the critique that parts of the story were too expository. I doubt I'll try to sell this story anywhere since it's on the weird side, but if I were to revise and expand it, that would definitely be something to address.

When I got bent nobody thought I was pregnant.  Go figure.

And no, they're not aware of any word limitations.  I take those as suggestions for future development.  I could have spared a couple words here and there to fix another suggestion or two, though.
This Sig Intentionally Blank
chrissie0707 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrissie0707 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 12:12pm
The gist of my feedback was that the writing was good (I was surprised to see such positive feedback about the actual writing) but the ending felt plot-driven rather than character-driven. (Fair.) Also that the story was good, but needed more words. Lots of ideas for expansion, which I shall take into consideration in further development and editing.
FFC#2 - You Make Your Own Luck
Micro#1 - One More Day
Rainbowsockmonkey View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainbowsockmonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by dennymike dennymike wrote:

"It was scary." There.

LOL  I hear ya. I got historical fiction and a judge who said, "I wanted to see some 50's clothes."
FF Ch2: So It Goes

Micro Ch1: Charlotte's Crib
ChillyToez View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote ChillyToez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 12:15pm

Are...are they aware we have a 1000 word limit? Tongue

To be fair, yes, I'm sure at some point they are all at least tangentially aware they are judging a flash fiction contest.

I used to be super annoyed at the "give us more of X" feedback. (Well, give me more words then!) On the surface it feels unhelpful. 

However, this can also be taken 2 ways. 

1.The judge is really trying to tell you that your story is too big for flash, that it feels incomplete, that you are forcing a 1500/2000/2500 word story into 1k words. 

2. The judge is giving suggestions for where you can expand in a rewrite for submission (once you are unfettered by word count.)

dennymike View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dennymike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by Rainbowsockmonkey Rainbowsockmonkey wrote:

Originally posted by dennymike dennymike wrote:

"It was scary." There.

LOL  I hear ya. I got historical fiction and a judge who said, "I wanted to see some 50's clothes."

If they want to see 50's clothes go watch Grease. Unless it's an integral part of the story then there's no time for clothing description. And if they could tell the time period without needing that description, then it's not necessary. I think that would fall on the responsibility of the reader to use their imagination. Unless of course it wasn't set in the 50's and then I could see a problem Confused
OnyxLily View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote OnyxLily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 1:44pm
I scored a "2" this round. My feedback, however, is really positive, and doesn't seem to match that score at all. I'm not quite sure how to take that. It does make me extra sad that I missed the cut-off for the next challenge because of the tie-breaker rules. 

One judge even says in the 'what needs work' section: "Not much to say beyond basic spelling and grammar issues, kudos!" I'm not sure what spelling and grammar issues they're talking about, unless it's US/UK differences, which aren't supposed to matter. I'm a proofreader in my day job, so I feel like my spelling and grammar aren't an issue!

Edited by OnyxLily - 08 Nov 2019 at 1:48pm
A Ship in the Woods Micro19 R1
The Scorch FF19 C2
MegtheCrane View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MegtheCrane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 4:57pm
Originally posted by MrLipto MrLipto wrote:

So US central time, that’s 11am Friday?

Twelve hours to digest feedback before next prompts come out.

Cool, cool, cool, coolcoolcoolcool

Not sure if that was an intention Brooklyn 99 reference but it made me chuckle either way!
salgal80 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote salgal80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2019 at 11:25am
Feedback? 
I didn’t get mine (checked spam).
Am I the only one?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic